Water temp gauge

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Johnno
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Water temp gauge

Post by Johnno »

Hi all,can anyone post a diagram on how to wIre a Smiths Electric water temp gauge please.Electrics definitely not my strong point!
Thanks,John.
Power to your Pistons,Johnnydoome.
geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Water temp gauge

Post by geoberni »

Simples as the meerkat said...

Power from the Ign switched source, up to you how you do it, depends on what else you've got going on with the car. Pick it up from an existing point behind the dash, or add a new line from the fusebox.
I personally don't think it need come from the Instrument Voltage Stabiliser since it is a thermal gauge so won't jump around as the voltage varies slightly. But others may disagree.
My gauge is wired straight from a fuse box I fitted to power some Ign controlled accessories and I've never had a problem with it.

Then its just a connection from Power, to Gauge to the Sensor in the Block.

If it's illuminated (I assume it is), then pick up a lighting connection as well. Don't forget the lighting will probably earth via the case, so make sure there is a good earth connection for the casing. Or the lighting might have 2 wires, in which case one of those needs to go to earth.

Here's a diagram I found online for you.
https://images.etrailer.com/static/imag ... 16_800.jpg

Edited to correct a totally wrong word that I spotted when I read it back!
Last edited by geoberni on Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Basil the 1955 series II

Johnno
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by Johnno »

Thankyou,John.
Power to your Pistons,Johnnydoome.
pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

The voltage stabiliser gives a nominal 10V supply, so if running on 12V you might get higher readings.

Phil P
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

pgp001 wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:37 pm The voltage stabiliser gives a nominal 10V supply, so if running on 12V you might get higher readings.

Phil P
You have a point, but I think for most people it's a case of getting to know where your temp gauge usually sits, so you can tell if it starts creeping up. My gauge is the type with a Cold (Blue) and Hot (Red) extremities and a wide 'Normal' section. I know where my needle sits in the Normal and where it might reasonably increase to if it's getting a bit over heated.

Equally, I'm not sure if the extra load of a temp gauge might not affect the ability of the voltage stabiliser to correctly give the fuel reading, because that's the only thing it's supposed to supply, as far as I know. So it might be a fairly balanced arrangement.
I don't think Minors were ever factory fitted with a temp gauge. I can't see one on any manual wiring diagrams.
Basil the 1955 series II

pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

I totally agree, the actual temperature indicated is not that relevant, but it will tell you if it differs from its usual normal when driving.

I actually fitted an electronic stabiliser when I did the dashboard mods on my car. That's how I knew about the 10V bit.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Semiconducto ... xyRhBS-o2P

Phil P
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

[/quote]

I don't think Minors were ever factory fitted with a temp gauge. I can't see one on any manual wiring diagrams.
[/quote]
There might be a reason for that——— Care free motoring? :D