Noisy differential

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
manlyvaleaussie
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Noisy differential

Post by manlyvaleaussie »

I'm back on the subject of the noisy differential in my 1952 Series MM. I plan to tackle it this coming fall/winter season, too hot in Yuma, Arizona at this time of year. I don't know if it will require a new crown wheel and pinion but I have been trying to locate a set just in chance. On the Moss Motors Europe website they show schematics of the Morris Minor split case rear axle/differential and the MG TD/TF split case rear axle/differential and they appear to be identical which would make sense for the vintage. My Series MM is a 4.55:1 ratio, the same as the MG TD/TF shown in the schematic, their Morris schematic shows a 5.375:1 ratio and so this wouldn't work and also it shows as NCA. I had written to Moss Motors asking if the 4.55:1 for the MG TD/TF will fit the Series MM Minor they responded that: We cannot confirm that will fit as we have never done this and never had any feedback from someone who may have tried it. Has anyone out there ever tried this or have access to some old workshop manuals or other manuals that would have original Morris part numbers for cross reference.

Regards,

Paul Follett manlyvaleaussie
RobThomas
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Noisy differential

Post by RobThomas »

Same design concept but the TD/TF/Wolseley 4/44 and Morris Oxford axle is a certain percentage larger in all dimensions. Kinda like a scaled model copy.
Cardiff, UK
RobThomas
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by RobThomas »

Same with the front suspension...
oxmo.jpg
oxmo.jpg (6.48 KiB) Viewed 2243 times
Cardiff, UK
manlyvaleaussie
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by manlyvaleaussie »

Thank you Rob, guess that takes care of that idea, hopefully my crown wheel and pinion will be okay and just the bearings will be needed.