Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Stuart_McK
MMOC Member: Yes

Search Facility

Post by Stuart_McK »

Hi, The search facility is not working and giving the following message :

SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

Table '.\forum_mmoc_new\phpbb_search_wordmatch' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
KeithL
Minor Fan

Re: Search Facility

Post by KeithL »

Just tried it as well and got the same error.

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

It's been like that since before the 500 Error crash last night.
I PM's Admin Mike with a heads up about it and he reported it to our 'wonderful' hosting company.... I had hoped the 500 Error was because they were sorting it out....obviously in vein .... :roll:
Basil the 1955 series II

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

It’s ironic that this site, being so popular, goes down quite frequently, whereas the Minor Lcv Register with virtually no users, has in my experience never played up ! Why doesn’t the mmoc find another host ? To do so seems so obvious, that I feel I must be missing something. It can’t be a financial reason.
If this continues, why don’t we all join the Minor lcv Register, then we can continue over there !

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

les wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:59 pm Why doesn’t the mmoc find another host ? To do so seems so obvious, that I feel I must be missing something. It can’t be a financial reason.
As I understand it, from what I have put together from the various comments over recent years, the main problem is not especially the 'Hosting'; it's the hosting of a site that is out of date and has so many amateur/well meaning individuals tweaks done to it over the years that are undocumented. Those now hosting it are unable to work out why some things happen....because some bit of Code had been changed and then another bit was changed, so there are layers and layers of coding affecting each other.

A bit like asking one of us to run a Minor and we are unable to work out who did what to it in the past, so we can't work out why the doors don't line up. Which bit where is out of alignment...
So Mike has the problem of getting a complete new board operating whilst retaining a useable archive of this creaking relic. :roll:
Basil the 1955 series II

simmitc

Post by simmitc »

It would be tremendously helpful if anyone who is feels that the site is too unreliable and should be improved could send an email to the office in Derby (info at mmoc dot org dot uk) and include a copy to admin at mmoc dot org dot uk.

I have got an alternative host set up ready to test and have been waiting since 17th September for the current supplier to comment on my migration plan and supply the data for me to attempt loading into the new site. Please don't think that we are about to go live, there's a lot more testing to do to prove that it's even possible, but we are trying.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Thanks for the last two posts. I’m sure it’s more complex than I’m aware, frustrating though it is !

KeithL
Minor Fan

Post by KeithL »

les wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:59 pm It’s ironic that this site, being so popular, goes down quite frequently, whereas the Minor Lcv Register with virtually no users, has in my experience never played up !
Maybe it doesn't play up because it has virtually no users.

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

I have got an alternative host set up ready to test and have been waiting since 17th September for the current supplier to comment on my migration plan and supply the data for me to attempt loading into the new site.
Do you think they are deliberately dragging their heals and being unco-operative because you are proposing to drop them, or is that just me being cynical................... :wink:
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

jagnut66 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:10 am
... or is that just me being cynical................... :wink:
Best wishes,
Mike.
That just comes with age and life experience..... just don't let it take over...
Basil the 1955 series II

win
Minor Fan

Post by win »

simmitc wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:49 pm It would be tremendously helpful if anyone who is feels that the site is too unreliable and should be improved could send an email to the office in Derby (info at mmoc dot org dot uk) and include a copy to admin at mmoc dot org dot uk.

I have got an alternative host set up ready to test and have been waiting since 17th September for the current supplier to comment on my migration plan and supply the data for me to attempt loading into the new site. Please don't think that we are about to go live, there's a lot more testing to do to prove that it's even possible, but we are trying.
I sent an email to info@mmoc.org.uk on the 13 sept 21 pointing out repeated problems with the site, asking if they knew about them.
I also asked for an update on any remedy. I have not, as yet, received a reply.

I received a quick reply confirming my membership renewal last week, so part of the system works ok.
I am trying hard not to feel cynical.

Many thanks to the moderators for all their efforts trying to cope with a creaking dinosaur, in spite of all the comments which appear to be levelled against them.

Regards Win
South Yorkshire