Who goes there...Friend or Foe

Please post any problems you are having with the website here
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...
MMOC Member: Yes

Who goes there...Friend or Foe

Post by Sleeper »

Dear All

Not a problem as such , just my own ignorance I suppose.
Can someone please tell me what Friend and Foe is all about , have just started to add posters with like minds as Friends , and those up their own back-sides as Foes.

What is its purpose and how is it used??

Many Thanks

John ;-)
simmitc

Re: Who goes there...Friend or Foe

Post by simmitc »

Rather than type out a long explanation, look in the top left corner of your screen. Click on FAQ. Depending on screen size, but on mine, it's right hand column, about 1/3 down, headed Friends & Foes. Hopefully that will explain everything - I just hope that you haven't added me to your foes, or you won't see this reply :-?
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

I would think twice about using this, as Simmitc states, if I read it correctly, it will mean you don't see certain users posts, which even if you don't like certain peoples attitudes or opinions, may contain information that you could at some point find useful / helpful.
By adding people into this list and therefore excluding yourself from information in their posts, you may end up 'cutting off your nose to spite your face'.....
Far better to just ignore them the old fashioned way by never responding to their individual** posts directly in any way.

As a general point this may be an option (friends & foes) that is better deleted from any new forum created, as above, people can simply ignore those they don't like. Having this in the options list may make new members uneasy, wondering why it was necessary to include / create it in the first place.
Best wishes,
Mike.

** By which I mean the posts they make themselves, you could still ask questions of others involved in a topic you find informative.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
panky
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by panky »

The naughty step.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Basically, if it works as advertised, then 'Friends', the people you think are really worthwhile following every comment, will be highlighted.
If you make someone a 'Foe' their posts will be hidden.
It's the same principle as marking someone as 'Hidden' or 'Blocked' on facebook.

But course, the reason I caveated this with "if it works as advertised" is because most of us are fully aware that this message board creaks like a 300 yr old Schooner under sail, so the less things you touch the better... :o
Basil the 1955 series II

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

But course, the reason I caveated this with "if it works as advertised" is because most of us are fully aware that this message board creaks like a 300 yr old Schooner under sail, so the less things you touch the better... :o
With a hole in the bottom and a list to port...... :wink:
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

or a list to sherry :D

kennatt
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by kennatt »

often been list
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Is that 'Brahms and Liszt'??...... :wink:
Best wishes,
Mike.
Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

philthehill wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:39 pm or a list to sherry :D
Dare I mention whisky? :wink:
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Careful now, the board will be receiving letters of complaint, demanding that you are hung, drawn and quartered..... :wink: :lol:
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Post by Sleeper »

The good news is that I have only listed Friends at the moment , so no problem there... and just added a few more.

Simmitc. Thank you.

John ;-)
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I don’t see the need for this facility, if you have a foe/foes and don’t want to read their posts then don’t !
On the other hand you’ll never know if they have changed their ways, and gone up in ones estimation!!

win
Minor Fan

Post by win »

jagnut66 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:02 pm
Careful now, the board will be receiving letters of complaint, demanding that you are hung, drawn and quartered..... :wink: :lol:
No quick death for that man.
South Yorkshire