By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: How to post a photo

Post by philthehill »

Here is my try at posting a photo.
Timing the cam 1.jpg
It seemed to be working for me originally by reducing the photo long side to a max of 1200 pixels.

Tried posting another reduced photo from my pc and it is now not working :cry:

The original photo is not coming up either. :roll:

Add files process appears to be not working.

ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

For some reason changes have been made yet again. I attached a picture to the "Going under the hammer" thread perfectly easily last week yet when I tried to do the same thing with an identically sized photo file today it will not attach :(
All my photos have already been reduced and are filed on my PC.
Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

Yup, the forum received an update to the most recent stable version during the evening a couple of nights ago. This was a security update issued by phpbb which addressed a number of vulnerabilities identified in older versions, including the one we were running. If you experience any difficulties, please let me know and I'll attempt to address them. I aim to help anyone who needs it, who is reasonable with their request. Please note the bit after the comma - hopefully we can manage without the carp from the last change about how it shouldn't have changed and 'if it ain't broke' etc. :P Obviously, maintaining the integrity of the board is more important than anything else.

I've noticed that the icons are missing from the top right of posts, the 'reply with quote' etc ones, which I'd guess is no more than an addressing issue - I'll look into that and/or ask our IT provider to do so.

I can't see any issues with attachments - I've just put this pic up which is 1600 pixels wide and it's shown properly.
tourer.jpg
tourer.jpg (218.57 KiB) Viewed 13226 times
I've also noticed a glitch in the background of the listing of private messages, where an image is shown behind the post text. Have to confess I've no idea what's amiss there, I'll have a word with the guys at phpbb.
Last edited by Admin on Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: PLEASE - If you want to report a problem, try and be descriptive. "Attaching images doesn't work" is about as helpful when trying to trace a problem as dropping your car at a garage and saying "It doesn't work properly"!!!
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Your comments above are appreciated yet don't explain why I cannot attach a photo anymore which is exactly the same size as the ones I was previously able to attach. I can see that you can attach a photo because it is smaller and I imagine that I could as well. However, having already reduced the size of my pictures so that they could be attached to this forum prior to this week, WHY is it no longer possible without reducing them again?? This change has happened during the last week.
Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

ManyMinors wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:03 pm Your comments above are appreciated yet don't explain why I cannot attach a photo anymore which is exactly the same size as the ones I was previously able to attach. I can see that you can attach a photo because it is smaller and I imagine that I could as well. However, having already reduced the size of my pictures so that they could be attached to this forum prior to this week, WHY is it no longer possible without reducing them again?? This change has happened during the last week.
"exactly the same size as the ones I was previously able to" What exact same size?
"Because it is smaller" Than what?
"having reduced the size" To what?
"reducing them again" To what?
To the best of my knowledge, the update has made no difference to the size limits applied. If something doesn't work for you that did, give me the info I need to find out why. You say your pic is exactly the same size as you could upload before. Is that pixel dimensions, or file size?
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Mike, I don't know how you measure pixel dimensions but I resize all my photos to 22% and store as JPGs on my computer. I have done this for several years. The file size is given as 1014x761 and a rough average of 300KB. I have always been able to attach these resized pictures directly on this site without a hitch. The second picture I attached on the "going under the hammer" thread was done in this way on 22nd March.

A week later that same photo or any other similar sized one will not attach and I get a message saying: "The image must be at most 1600 pixels wide and 1600 pixels high. The submitted image is 4608 pixels wide and 3456 pixels high" I have never seen this message before so I assume it is new.

No doubt I could further reduce the size and then attach the image but there would seem to have been a change during the last week if I was able to attach a photo on the 22nd which will not attach now?

The KB size of photos is shown on them isn't it. That particular photo showing the rotten timber shows I think 307KB. As I say, I do not know how you measure the pixel size.

So, by "exactly the same size" I mean just that: I can no longer attach the same photo.

by "because it is smaller" I mean that assume that the photo you were able to attach is smaller than the one I am (no longer) able to attach

by "having reduced the size" I mean that I had already reduced the photos as described above to 22% so that they would attach here.

by "reducing them again" I mean that it seems they are now too big for this site and will have to be reduced again in order to attach.
Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

Velly strange - the upgrade is code based only. Okay, do me a favour, email me that picture, the one you tried to upload, to admin@mmoc.org.uk. And point me to the version of it you successfully uploaded previously. I have no idea how that can have happened, but I'll get to the bottom of it!
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Thanks Mike, I have emailed it to you. The photo in question (a close-up of rotten woodwork on a green Traveller for sale) is attached to my post dated 22nd March on the "Going under the hammer......today" thread which is in the General Discussion area. I have since tried to attach a similar photo and, later, the same photo to the same thread in exactly the same way and it will no longer do this. I get a message stating that the size is too big. I simply don't understand why this photo, which has already been resized as a JPG file within the guidelines could be attached last week but not this week and since changes have plainly been made to the forum I am assuming my difficulty relates to those changes. I realise that I may be wrong and something else may be causing this but I cannot think what offhand.
Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

Received thanks, and I've just uploaded your pic, and the version you first posted, in that same thread. Curiouser and curiouser! There is literally no reason why the updates should modify anything, but whatever, we'll track it down. I've left it with our IT provider to look at as I'm off to the Hebrides tomorrow but I'll look in whenever I get any net access
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Thanks for trying Mike - and have a great holiday. That isn't the photograph I wanted to attach to that post. I had already shown that one. I had another picture showing the paintwork but because I couldn't get it to attach and couldn't understand why not, I thought I'd try one that I had previously used as a test......that's all.

It isn't the end of the world but having spent a good deal of time previously learning how to add pictures it is frustrating to find that I no longer can!
ian.mcdougall
Minor Legend

Post by ian.mcdougall »

I am having trouble posting photos it keeps telling me they are too large but one is only 17.1 KB

BrianHawley
Minor Fan
Location: Yanbu Al-Sinaiyah, Saudi Arabia (temporary posting)

Post by BrianHawley »

Just a comment.

Number of pixels (e.g. 1024x560) isn’t directly related to the file size (e.g. 16kb).

Think size of a bucket and weight of a bucket if you like. There’s a connection, but depends what’s in the bucket.

Anyone having trouble may like to try this:

http://www.picresize.com/
Brian

Image "Jodie". '67 Traveller, 1275, discs, suspension mods etc.
ian.mcdougall
Minor Legend

Post by ian.mcdougall »

The picture i am trying to post says on my computer is 640 by 360, on pic resize it says its 640 by 360, when i try to post it, it says its 4096 by 2304 what am i doing wrong

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Are you saving the picture at the revised pixel rate before attempting to attach to a thread?
If you do not save the picture you will not be able to attach the picture as the original pixel rate will apply.
So long as I save the picture at or less than 1200 pixels on the long side the picture can be attached to the post without problems.

palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

This is becoming a load of carp. Earlier today I successfully uploaded a pic. File resized to 123.83kb and 800x600pxl using Brian's link.

Now I'm trying to upload another pic. File resized to 102.18kb and 600x600pxl using Brian's link but unable to upload as 'File size too big'.
Resized it again to 32.87kb and 300x300pxl and... 'File size too big'.

Patience exhausted. I simply won't bother any more.
1956 4-door called Max
ian.mcdougall
Minor Legend

Post by ian.mcdougall »

The original picture on my computer says that it is 360x640 pixels ,and when i open it in picresize it says it is 360x640 as opened without resizing, so why when i try to post picture it says its too large and gives the size as 2304x4096 pixels

Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

palacebear wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 11:22 pm This is becoming a load of carp. Earlier today I successfully uploaded a pic. File resized to 123.83kb and 800x600pxl using Brian's link.

Now I'm trying to upload another pic. File resized to 102.18kb and 600x600pxl using Brian's link but unable to upload as 'File size too big'.
Resized it again to 32.87kb and 300x300pxl and... 'File size too big'.

Patience exhausted. I simply won't bother any more.
There's no logic in that, it just cannot work that way. Please email me the images you mentioned and I WILL get to the bottom of what the hell is happening
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
tempaccount

Post by tempaccount »

Image of 1500px x 1500px, 850kb
Attachments
1500sq850k.jpg
1500sq850k.jpg (867.94 KiB) Viewed 12905 times
Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

ian.mcdougall wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 11:29 pm The original picture on my computer says that it is 360x640 pixels ,and when i open it in picresize it says it is 360x640 as opened without resizing, so why when i try to post picture it says its too large and gives the size as 2304x4096 pixels
Send the file to someone by email. If the file size of the pic they get is 360 pixels wide, then I'll have to investigate further. If it's 2300 pixels wide, then it's something you're doing on your own pc and I'm afraid you'll need to resolve that
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

The issue that palacebear describes having is exactly the same as I have had ever since the changes in March (having been able to load photographs perfectly well before and still can elsewhere). I'll have another go below at uploading a resized photo from my file which I uploaded without a hitch prior to that date..........