Please post any problems you are having with the website here
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
southerly95
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Signing in

Post by southerly95 »

That’s another 20 minutes trying to login I’m thoroughly cheesed off with this website. When I try and sign in none of my passwords are recognised so I start again with asking for a new password.
Once I get in and I try and post something I’m asked to login again. Why is it necessary to have an email address as well as a username?
This is the only website I have a problem with, is it beyond MMOC to put it right?
[sig]4918[/sig]
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Signing in

Post by philthehill »

In defence of the web site I never have a problem getting into the MMOC.

I go into the login - post my user name and then my pass word and I am in - no problems.

Where does the 'e' mail address come into it? I have never had to post my 'e' mail address to access.

Phil

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

They probably want your email address when signing up so they can send you email alerts of replies to posts or PMs. But you shouldn't have to give it every time you want to sign in once you are signed up as a forum member.
'southerly95' - it may be worth posting this in the 'Problems With The Messageboard' topic, right at the bottom of the index page where it may be spotted by administrators sooner.
IslipMinor
Minor Legend

Post by IslipMinor »

I have very recently had the same problem. From being able to go straight into the Messageboard, with everything remembered by either MMOC or Microsoft, I could not get into the Messageboard at all. Needed a couple of attempts to get a new password, which then needed to be reset into something vaguely rememberable (if there is such a word!).
Richard

Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

Another day, another thread banging on at the messageboard.
"None of my passwords are recognised"
. Well, only one will ever work, because that's how passwords work, isn't it?
"Once I get in and I try and post something I’m asked to login again"
. Nope, the board doesn't require you to do that. It's never happened to me, ever. You might well be running custom security settings in your browser which don't permit logins to remain active for more than a given period of time, or you may have refused cookies which the browser needs before it will authenticate you. Or you might be running an older version of your browser, or any number of other possibilities, any of which could be responsible for you needing to re-authenticate yourself prior to making a post. But hey, it's much easier to just say that the messageboard is to blame, isn't it?
"Why is it necessary to have a username as well as an email address?"
Well, because they're different things, aren't they? One allows people - and the messageboard - to contact you, to let you know there's been replies to your posts, etc. The other allows the board - and other users - to identify you as opposed to anyone else. It's like saying "Why does my car have to have an accelerator as well as a brake?" They do different jobs.
"Is it beyond MMOC to put it right?"
. Well yes, it clearly is, because how you - or whoever did it for you - set up your PC isn't something the MMOC were involved in.

The message board is, by some margin, the thing about my life I am least happy with. I didn't want control of the messageboard, I wanted to deal with the website, but the club lumps the two together and to do one, I had to accept the other. Why do I dislike it so much? Because it's ancient, and clunky, and about as reliable as a Michael Fish weather forecast. It breaks down more often than Katie Price, and each time it does everyone blames me. Did I do it? No, of course not.

Then we have the users who can't manage the task of logging in. They mail me, daily, in their droves. Usually, they write
"I can't log in"
, and nothing else. That's really helpful, that is, and it gives me every possible clue I could ask for in tracking down the problem. Oh hang on, no it doesn't. It gives me NO clue, none whatsoever. As I said to the club recently, it's like dropping your car at the garage and saying "It doesn't work" and expecting them to fix it. How about a flipping clue as to what's happening? So I have to write back to the person who can't log in, and ask them for a bit of detail. Like are you being told the password is incorrect, for example, and that's why you can't log in? Or have you forgotten your username, or which email address you signed up with? Does the page time out without logging you in? I've written to people and asked that, and very often been met with "Well you're supposed to be the IT expert, I thought you'd know". No, seriously, I do get that reply, usually once a week or so.

Then you get the stroppy ones, who seem to imagine I'm here 24/7 purely for them to use when they can't be bothered to remember what they themselves wrote. After all, why should they try to remember? There's some lacky there somewhere, and it's their job to work this stuff out, isn't it? Somebody sent me FOUR emails on Friday afternoon, because they couldn't find the link to reset their password (I've cleverly hidden it, by placing it directly underneath the password field using the text "Forgot your password?"), and then eventually phoned the office and got them to email me as well. I was at the NEC on the MMOC stand, supporting other people with their tech issues, and not by a computer. Not that that matters, as I don't ever remember promising a five minute response time anyway. Having been away, doing MMOC stuff, for the weekend, I thought I'd have a go at catching up admin stuff on Monday night. Until I got another email Monday afternoon in all capiltals, saying "NOT IMPRESSED AT ALL. FIX" Now, I dunno about you, but if that person had been saying that aloud to me, I'd have told them to go forth and multiply in rather robust terms. People like that, whether they're MMOC members or not, 'press my buttons'. In short, I don't like them.

Not that I'm pointing that at the thread starter, though, unless s/he recognises himself in the tirade above. I'm merely pointing out that (a) many times the board gets the blame when it ain't the boards fault, (b) even when it is the boards fault I'm doing all that the club give me the ability to do to put it right, and (c) being chief mod is about as carpy a job as I've ever had :o
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
win
Minor Fan

Post by win »

So, I take it you are thoroughly enjoying your role, keep taking the medication preferably in a whisky glass.

Kind regards and thanks Win
South Yorkshire
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

You may be sacrificing the website side of things Mark, if the two come together but hearing the way the other side is irritating you, wouldn't it be better, for piece of mind, to pack it in?

Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

les wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:57 pm You may be sacrificing the website side of things Mark, if the two come together but hearing the way the other side is irritating you, wouldn't it be better, for piece of mind, to pack it in?
LOVE to! The moment I can find someone stupid enough to take it on, anyway :D

Oh, and it's Mike by the way :P
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Sorry Mike, I think I've got it right in the past, so don't know why I slipped up there.
Anyway, good luck, you may find someone who is intoxicated by the vision of power and glory! :D

simmitc

Post by simmitc »

about as reliable as a Michael Fish weather forecast
That's not fair, he gave forecasts that were as accurate as possible at the time; and technically he was correct about it not being a hurricane, it was a storm. They're different, a bit like an accelerator and a turbocharger :wink:

Anyway, back to the OP, I wonder whether you're trying to login to the main site and then when you try to post on the messageboard you have to login again. That would be normal. Try going direct to the messageboard without logging in to the website. As Mike says, they are different things, and each has its own username and password, which will be whatever you you set when you registered.