Bah Humbug! Whose the biggest scrooge on this board ?

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Orkney
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Bah Humbug! Whose the biggest scrooge on this board ?

Post by Orkney »

Or does anyone do the mad thing with the outside lights that you can see from the space station?

Don't suppose i quite count as a scrooge as might be putting up a string of lights and letting the dogs have some tinsel to wear. Could easily be a scrooge though, especially the mad rush to get the food shopping done. Same for new year as everything grinds to a 3 or 4 day halt here for that.

Plenty of coal, plenty of beer, lots of food in and looking forward to teh peace and quiet - and just maybe there will be something worth watching on tv too !
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Don't bank on the telly - better get a few DVDs (do you have DVDs in Orkney?) out the Library just in case.
ImageImage
Furrtiv
Minor Fan

Post by Furrtiv »

Agreed! Got almost everything done now, just waiting for the mail-order pressies to arrive, everything else, bar a bit of food and alcohol, and the in-laws' present, is done. But I simply refuse to put up any decorations until about a week before the day itself.

On my way through a village in Leicestershire, I saw, standing in the forecourt of a garden centre, a huge, inflatable Santa!
Re-employed!:D
HarryMango
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by HarryMango »

Furrtiv wrote:On my way through a village in Leicestershire, I saw, standing in the forecourt of a garden centre, a huge, inflatable Santa!
On an unlit country road at 4am when still half asleep that Santa is a good marker to turn left down to my work place :lol:

Rog
MoggyTech
Minor Legend

Post by MoggyTech »

I must win this one hands down. No decorations, no fancy meal on 'the' day. Family agreed years ago, Xmas cards only, so no shopping for presents etc etc.

It's meant to be a celebration of the birth of our saviour The Lord Jesus Christ, but it has turned into a load of commercial hype. Xmas adverts started in August on some cable channels. What is wrong with this picture.

So Bah Humbug :D

But please do have a very Merry Xmas everyone
Packedup
Minor Legend

Post by Packedup »

MoggyTech wrote:I must win this one hands down. No decorations, no fancy meal on 'the' day. Family agreed years ago, Xmas cards only, so no shopping for presents etc etc.
Cards? Sellout.
It's meant to be a celebration of the birth of our saviour The Lord Jesus Christ,
Is it indeed. That'll be why the shops have all those Yule logs in the cake sections then...
but it has turned into a load of commercial hype.
One could almost say the hijacking of this festival is a case of what goes around comes around...
73bgt
Minor Friendly

Post by 73bgt »

http://www.scroogeyourself.com/

sorry couldn't help it :D
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

Having been AWOL for nearly 75% of Chrismas's (since turning 18 ) I'm happy to say that I bowed to pressure and will be doing the family thing this year.
Christmas day won't be quite the same without the sunbathing whilst repairing a classic car somewhere on a continent that's not Europe! Brake fluid / engine oil doesn't make good sun tan lotion, but when mixed with sand it makes a good exfoliator!
Last edited by rayofleamington on Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

i hate chritsmas because i am a postie and end up doing 12 hour days for 2 weeks bar humbug :evil: :evil: :evil:
[sig]5641[/sig]
Orkney
Minor Legend

Post by Orkney »

Postie here deserves a medal today - 3+ hours late and driving his missus car on account of his PO van broke down and there wasnt a spare one to be had anywhere ! Know what i've had said !
http://mog.myfreeforum.org
Furrtiv
Minor Fan

Post by Furrtiv »

I will be celebrating the midwinter festival that is ostensibly Christmas by remembering that most of our traditions originated from a religion very close to my own spiritual beliefs - and it didn't involve some bloke who could change water into wine.;)
Tinsel derives from the tradition of hanging sweetmeats on trees to appease hungry spirits, and fallen boughs were brought into the home to celebrate the persistance of life in even the harshest condition (hence their being evergreen boughs).
I could go on, but ironically I usually get called up for hijacking "Christian traditions". :roll:

Merry Yuletide/Christmas/Chanukah/Kwanza, everybody! :lol:
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

it just seems total comercial hype,i bet there will be sarga holiday brochures to deliver christmas eve,they are really heavy 2lbs each that means that it we have 11 in a bag the bag is at its max weight thats with nothing else.i think people have forgotten the meaning of christmas.it should be that we all help someone lass fortunate than ourselves etc.
[sig]5641[/sig]
Furrtiv
Minor Fan

Post by Furrtiv »

Absolutely! Even if it's just buying charity cards or popping a quid into a collecting tin, it all helps.:)
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

For me Christmas is about the family and yes we have a tree (a real one)
and we do put some decorations up although not over the top.
Christmas day is normally for us and our girls but this year it will be at our eldest as my other half has been laid up in hospital for the last couple of weeks and we just hope she is out in time for Christmas.
We normally have a big family get together on New Years Day where anyone can come round, but like others we do buy some charity cards ect for those less fortunate.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
bigginger
Minor Maniac

Post by bigginger »

Sheeesh - check out the pics on this post
http://retrorides.proboards86.com/index ... 1197056821

Lovely - wish I lived next door...
Packedup
Minor Legend

Post by Packedup »

bigginger wrote:Sheeesh - check out the pics on this post

I won't have a bad word said about rope lights!

I've got two sets - One is on a timer to light up the guinea pig cage, the other I'm not sure about yet but they were on offer...
Nadir
Minor Friendly

Post by Nadir »

Packedup wrote:]I won't have a bad word said about rope lights!.
You will, y'know...
MoggyTech
Minor Legend

Post by MoggyTech »

Packedup wrote:
bigginger wrote:Sheeesh - check out the pics on this post

I won't have a bad word said about rope lights!

I've got two sets - One is on a timer to light up the guinea pig cage, the other I'm not sure about yet but they were on offer...
What? are the Guinea Pigs having a disco over Xmas :D
Stig
Minor Addict

Post by Stig »

This year I are bin mos'ly doing the Oxfam "give a goat" thing (except for my nephews).
I'm not doing decorations either as for the first time I'll be spending Christmas abroad -travelling around Costa Rica and then diving with sharks at Cocos island if you must know. Not that I'm getting excited about it at all, honest.
Orkney
Minor Legend

Post by Orkney »

travelling around Costa Rica and then diving with sharks at Cocos island
Smegger :x not jealous at all :( Hope teh xmas spirit follows you out there and you cant get away from it :D
Pic of you diving with a santa hat on when you get back pleae stig :-)