MG cars at Longbridge

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
RogerRust
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

MG cars at Longbridge

Post by RogerRust »

So how about campaining for a new morris minor!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nlCOiilaxJU&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nlCOiilaxJU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

This message board is like a family - you can't choose the other members!! But remember engine oil is thicker than water.
bobbins
Minor Friendly

Post by bobbins »

hmm...if the new Beetle and new Mini are anything to go by, I wouldn't bother! :(
PSL184
Minor Legend

Post by PSL184 »

I don't really care who owns the company (so many mainstream brands are owned by huge multinationals these days anyway). I'm just happy that a British car is coming out of a British factory and is been made by a British workforce.... Something to be proud of !!
[sig]8426[/sig]

Compare the Minors - Simples !! http://mog.myfreeforum.org/index.php
FrankM83
Minor Legend

Post by FrankM83 »

yes me too I was so happy when I saw Mgs going off the production line again! hope to see new models coming out soon, looking forward to see MGs back in the showrooms in Malta!! :D

paulhumphries
Minor Legend

Post by paulhumphries »

Anyone notice the paint ?
They had sprayed edges of door but not area covered by trim.
Same on underside but suspect that will have some sort of other protective coating.
I wonder, therefore, if the spraying is done by hand rather than an automated set-up ?

Personally I always liked the look of the Rover 25 but never considerd one due to well known engine and other quality problems. If the Chinese can get that sorted as a "bread an butter" model then they might stand a chance of mass production again.
A version based on the 25 and restyled along the lines of the Minor could be interesting (I like the new Beetle, Mini, and Fiat 500)

Paul Humphries
FrankM83
Minor Legend

Post by FrankM83 »

well I've heard they tested a very low milage 2005 MGTF and one of the new MGTFs they notcied a lot of improvment on the quliaty so that's good news

dunketh
Minor Legend

Post by dunketh »

They're CKD kits though arent they?
Built in china, assembled in longbridge.

Shame they've not done a 'race' version with carbon/grp panels and a turbo of some kind. They need something with 'wow' factor to draw folk away from the usual suspects. (mx5, and the like)
What would Macgyver do..?
Dean
Minor Legend

Post by Dean »

I agree it is good to these cars being built again, particularly on the same historic site. I had a 2003 MGTF and I'm embarrassed to say the quality was dire and was no doubt the reason why the firm went under. If the quality is sorted and they produce an attractive main stream car, I will most definitely consider them when replacing my Yaris.
My Minor:
A Clarendon Grey 1953 4 Door Series II.
MMOC - 66535

FrankM83
Minor Legend

Post by FrankM83 »

and how do you find the Yaris Dean? I know mechanically they're impeccable but as build quality? over here we're invaded by Yaris I think there are 2 Yaris for every 5 cars!! but I drove one wasn't impressed with the build quality lots of rattles and squeeks especially form tailgate and dash but might have been the one I drove suffered in the hands of the owner!

Dean
Minor Legend

Post by Dean »

Which Yaris though? Mine is the Mk1 1999 to 2006 or 2007. I have had three, a 2000 1.0L then a 2002 1.0L then a 2004 1.4 Diesel. The first one I had was made in Japan and was exceptional to say the least done 35,000 miles then part ex'ed it. The second one was a French built version did 30,000 miles and had the tail gate lock fail, but was good enough for me to get another. Now the latest one I have hung onto and have done 80,000 miles, but yes I now have a few rattles. I also get wind noise through the passenger door, a loud wind noise if at speed the wind catches the door rubbers funny. I have also had to replace a rear wheel bearing. I now get a noise from the gearbox which is louder on acceleration and disappears on pressing the clutch!

I'm convinced Toyota's are not what they used to be, so may not be heading their way for my next car. Although to be honest the latest Yaris has never (touch wood) let me down.
My Minor:
A Clarendon Grey 1953 4 Door Series II.
MMOC - 66535

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Nice to see these MGs back in production. The new MINI is a rip roaring success story - if Rover could have kept that car they would still be in business today. I did suggest a Minor 2000 to one of the top Rover/MG designers I know of old - based on Rover 200 and to be launched in year 2000 obviously. They said they weren't interested -market would be 'limited'.
ImageImage
MGFmad
Minor Fan

Post by MGFmad »

bmcecosse wrote:Nice to see these MGs back in production. The new MINI is a rip roaring success story - if Rover could have kept that car they would still be in business today. I did suggest a Minor 2000 to one of the top Rover/MG designers I know of old - based on Rover 200 and to be launched in year 2000 obviously. They said they weren't interested -market would be 'limited'.
I thought that was a good idea, as you say the 'new' Mini was a great success and VW I think have had good sales with their new Beetle. WIth the right base car and marketing a modern Morris Minor could sell well.

I will be interested to see how well the new TF sells and if its acceptable in terms of qualtiy and reliabilty - it might be a suitable replacement for my MGF in a few years. The engine in the new TF is still a K series (but called and N series) with the uprated oil ladder and Landrover MLS head gasket. Hope it goes well for them.
Welung666
Minor Legend

Post by Welung666 »

IMO a modern remake of the Minor would end up looking like the Chrysler PT Cruiser and I personally would hate it as much as the plastic beetles, mini, and clubmans! But just my opinion.
stevey
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by stevey »

Welung666 wrote:IMO a modern remake of the Minor would end up looking like the Chrysler PT Cruiser and I personally would hate it as much as the plastic beetles, mini, and clubmans! But just my opinion.
seconded!!!!