How to describe an 1100

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
linearaudio

How to describe an 1100

Post by linearaudio »

The boys' latest girlfriend is a bit into old cars, so his attitude towards them has suddenly altered. He has now decided he must pass his driving test so he can get a cool, different car. I suggested the only thing in his price range would be an 1100, and that he would never find one.
Guess what? Of 5 listed on ebay, one was located less than a mile away!! Must be fate!
Anyway most people look blank when I say we have bought an 1100, until I mention Basil Fawlty and the whipping!
"OH-ONE OF THOSE" is then the invariable reply. I'm just a bit nervous about the sketch becoming a nightmare and the boy having to take a branch around with him!
The insurance quote from FJ astonished him. He thought the figure they quoted him was per month, not per year!! And of course, it's tax exempt!
8009STEVE
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by 8009STEVE »

The insurance quote from FJ astonished him. He thought the figure they quoted him was per month, not per year
C'mon do tell.
pao7psb
Minor Fan

Post by pao7psb »

I think they're very neat looking things, and they were Britain's best-selling cars for years and years I believe (bit before my time though) :wink:
[sig]9354[/sig]
Sometimes it is better to obtain forgiveness rather than permission...
Snowdrop - 1967 4 Door Saloon
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

My first car - handed down from parents - great car - interesting suspension. :wink:

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Excellent cars, we had several - but very prone to rust unfortunately. The hydrolastic suspension is not easy to fix either - and spares for that are hard-to-get, to say the least!
ImageImage
mickessex
Minor Fan

Post by mickessex »

1968 Austin 1100, my first car and the car I learned to drive in :)

Unfortunately I was hit head-on by a drink driver three months after passing my test, it finished the car off, although I was unhurt. A good car though.

Mick

* www.morrisminorowners.co.uk
* The Morris Minor Classic Message Board
tortron
Minor Fan

Post by tortron »

a few guys in the club over here have them
my brother's first car was a morris 1800 - tho i drove it more than he did
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

Had both the 1100 and the 1300 Gt , loved them both,excellent handling, brakes balance and good speed with the 1300. Cost me £50 for the 1100 in which I learned to drive and used for 3 years whilst on my degree course. Finaly died of rot. :D

linearaudio

Post by linearaudio »

Only problem I can see is grafting the Wolseley brakes on the front to replace those discs :lol:
NZJLY
Minor Fan

Post by NZJLY »

And changing the clutch - cause the engine is the wrong way around.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

It's more the front wheel bearings that are the problem - rather than the discs!
But - it probably wouldn't be too difficult to do - given that the early Minis were FWD with (hopeless) 7" single leading shoe (why did they do that ???) drum brakes! The slightly later twin leading shoe drums were actually ok for normal motoring.
ImageImage
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

And changing the clutch - cause the engine is the wrong way around.
No problem. Just have to remove the end cover plate and it is there, no having to remove the gearbox.
[sig]3580[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I agree - it's an absolute cinch to change the clutch! Especially with all the space provided in the 1100/1300 range!
ImageImage
linearaudio

Post by linearaudio »

More than a cinch as the engine is presently divorced from the car!
First job is to paint & tidy the engine bay,check the clutch! then drop it back in. Should be running by the weekend :-?
Made me smile that the seller was keen to point out that he had fitted a "brand new" set of plugs to the engine. Given that the engine is out, the car is a patchwork quilt and has no interior(fitted) I thought he was being "a bit keen"!
StaffsMoggie
Minor Addict

Post by StaffsMoggie »

Ah the 1100/1300....A superb car, great ride and handling and nice interiors. Its a pity they were rather rust prone.

The Vanden Plas ones are lovely inside.

Although the Fawlty Towers scene is the well known one, Actor John Cleese also drove an 1100 in the film Clockwise and so in a TV advert where he was locked out of his car. He seems to have a thing for 1100s!
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

im going to give you a damn good thrashing,springs to mind.
[sig]5641[/sig]
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

there's a cheapish Wolsley 4 door on fleabay at the moment...
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
MGFmad
Minor Fan

Post by MGFmad »

bmcecosse wrote:Excellent cars, we had several - but very prone to rust unfortunately. The hydrolastic suspension is not easy to fix either - and spares for that are hard-to-get, to say the least!
Thats the only gripe I have with the MGF is the hydragas suspension, its great at what it does but I can see spares becoming an issue and the occassional pumping up can be problematic as garages no longer have the units to do it.

I always know what people mean when referring to the 1100 or 1300 - I just remember my parents having these cars in the early 70's and me climbing into the back and always managing to knock that ashtray that was mounted on the floor :roll:
[sig]8143[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

" only gripe I have with the MGF is the hydragas suspension " - of course they soon sorted that out by going to traditional springs and dampers! Is it difficult to fit these to a hydro car ?
ImageImage
MGFmad
Minor Fan

Post by MGFmad »

bmcecosse wrote:" only gripe I have with the MGF is the hydragas suspension " - of course they soon sorted that out by going to traditional springs and dampers! Is it difficult to fit these to a hydro car ?
It can be done if I were to get the later TF front and rear subframes and a set of springs/dampers. Might just be easier to get a TF :lol:
[sig]8143[/sig]