What's a good ingredient in a curry? Suggestions?

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Mick_Anik
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

What's a good ingredient in a curry? Suggestions?

Post by Mick_Anik »

I enjoy a curry now and then, and I'm sure many others here will be fans of this wonderful dish.

I'm no purist, but more a 'make it up as you go' type. I never make a curry without cashew nuts.....they stay whole, and have an amazing sofrt, creamy taste when cooked in a curry.

Parsnips - no curry should be without these, IMHO. I also throw in raisins and apple. I always add half a litre of natural youghurt to the mix about halfway through cooking - it thickens the sauce and lifts the flavour. Here in Poland I use kefir, which is very similar but perhaps a little more acidic and cheesey.

Tuna fish and brown rice curry - with chick peas and the ingredients mentioned above. As a single lad, I used to make a big panful of this on Sundays, and freeze portions in ice-cream tubs for meals during the week. Curry on toast, curry sandwiches, curry soup....I was rarely ill.

The thing about curry is that, even if you use oil and meats containing fat, you can still wash up with cold water and without washing-up liquid. :D

phurn
Minor Fan

Post by phurn »

you do not wash up with cold water????? oh and for an unusual curry item that works well try pineapple.
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

Chick peas (chana)... any vegetables and practically anything you can eat really!
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

I know this is off topic but I am at a loss with the motoring connection.
Its ok I have got it know its :( and :oops:
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by simmitc »

How about freshly scraped trunnion grease mixed with a pinch of brake lining dust :o
nigelr2000
Minor Addict

Post by nigelr2000 »

MMMMM yummy and perhaps a dash of gearbox oil just to lift the flavour a little :lol:

I intend to live forever.....so far so good

The other place to be :- http://mog.myfreeforum.org/index.php
linearaudio

Post by linearaudio »

My old mum used to make curries as shown to her by a Ceylonese friend of the family. These worked around many seperate dishes which you helped yourself to on a bed of rice. My favourite (and only one I remember!) I still use to brighten a more traditional curry. This is diced onion, cucumber and tomato mixed with lemon juice and chilli pepper. That and some Bombay potato, preferably a day old to mature the flavours, works wonders with an otherwise mundane base! Another of the dishes was "pol samble", grated coconut, lime juice, fine diced onion and chili, mixed with some now forgotten make of fish.
paulk
Minor Legend

Post by paulk »

Still can't eat curry

Was totally put off by the one's at school ,30 years ago, with raisins in! I mean WHY Rasins in a curry?
Paulk

[img]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b359/paulk235/DSCF0807.jpg[/img]
1959 2dr Milly
Has now sat in back garden for 5 years :(
http://www.sadmog.morrisminor.com/
cormorant
Minor Fan

Post by cormorant »

Ever had fish korai at the restaurant? I make my own version, fry fish and onions (I use coley it doesn't fall to bits so easily) in spices and tandoori paste, add tin of tomatoes, tomato paste, fresh coriander, peas or spinach. Not sure about putting it in sandwiches though
bigjohn
Minor Addict

Post by bigjohn »

Still can't eat curry

Was totally put off by the one's at school ,30 years ago, with raisins in! I mean WHY Rasins in a curry?
i know what you mean i like currys but cannot stand it when they put fruit in sweet and sour not for me
[sig]10306[/sig]
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

a good mix of spices corriander,cumin tumeric and chilis i make my own very nice
[sig]5641[/sig]
Furrtiv
Minor Fan

Post by Furrtiv »

heh heh, I just use what comes in jars! And I can't stand raisins in a curry, either! Now, mangoes are a different thing altogether, they're lovely. And for us vegetarian, paneer is always a good ingredient, although a lot of supermarkets don'tcarry it round here. I also like putting Quorn pieces into a korma, or jsut large amounts of chunky vegetables, delicious!
Sorry guys, but I can't cook a curry from scratch, don't try and persuade me otherwise - it's a real skill that I lack! So jars of sauce, often with a dash of extra spice or natural yoghurt, are about as far as I go.
Re-employed!:D
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

I'm a big fan of dahl and lentil based curry with potato and any other veg that is too hand.
Used to cook a big saucepan full then dollop it out each day to eat.
Definitely improved with age and the seasoning was quite simple: garam masala, Lea and Perrins, and Branston pickle.
Very tasty and sustaining. I must make it again soon.
Dean
Minor Legend

Post by Dean »

paulk wrote:, with raisins in! I mean WHY Rasins in a curry?

Because it wouldn't taste too good if you used cellulose I suppose. :D
My Minor:
A Clarendon Grey 1953 4 Door Series II.
MMOC - 66535