Autsin A40 Somerset

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
mrmorrisminor
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Autsin A40 Somerset

Post by mrmorrisminor »

Hi All!

A friend of a friend wants me to give his mother's A40 Somerset a new home. Before I embark into new waters (I've only restored Minors up to now) I was wondering if anyone knows of how easy parts are to get hold of and if there are any clubs etc. I have had a quick look on the internet and it seems that some parts are common to the A30/35?? But no one I saw specifically lists A40 spares, as I say it was only a quick search though.
Also would I be right in thinking that the engine would be the 948 A series? (I have a spare of those sitting in the garage!)

Any tips/info gratfully recieved :lol:
https://www.facebook.com/minor1000

Life is too short to own only one Minor :D
Gulliver 1969 Traveller, Green Machine 1967 2 door, Roxy 1967 4 door, Delilah 1960 convertible, Pheonix 1958 4 door, Francis 1953 4 door, Marilyn 1949 lowlight (1970 pick up & 1971 van both awaiting restoration)

http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=54234
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=66053#p599269
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

Moved to Off Topic.

My dad has an A40 Cambridge and it is quite difficult to get parts for. I don't know if it will be the same for Somersets but he just tends to pick bits up at auto jumbles if he comes across any.

I think the Somerset has a 1200cc B series engine, same as the Cambridge.

Eric - 1971 Traveller
cadetchris
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by cadetchris »

OMG :o i am on the lookout for an austin somerset and after not being able to find one, i am looking at importing one from the colonies, but if i could get my hands on one closer to home (about 3000 miles closer) i would be very very happy
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

It's certainly not an A series engine - and I doubt it shares much with the A30/35 !
ImageImage
cadetchris
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by cadetchris »

it was an austin A40 type engine (the predasesor to the B series) so it wont have any similar engine bits to any BMC engine.
leyther8008
Minor Fan

Post by leyther8008 »

Back in the day (1980s) I used to own a A40 Devon (The Somerset is basically the same mechanically), Back then spares where inpossible to find without joining the Austin Counties owners club,
not much is interchangable between other BMC products as even the engine is a 1200cc B series the first of its generation, I ended up putting a Wolseley 1500 engine in mine to ease the spares situation and that took some mods to the flywheel, I also think I put MGB shock absorbers on the front because the originals where unobtainiable back then as well (this is before the days of the internet of course.
Brakes are that strange mixture of hydraulic fronts with mechanical rears that Austin also used on the A30/A35s.
I even struggled to get 16 inch tyres locally and ended up fitting Taxicord ones from an FX cab.
But:---- when it was running it was a lovely smooth car to drive but scary on roundabouts as they used to fall over at the drop of a hat!
But as for buying spares the club magazine usually has a page of adverts of parts for sale in the back, try contacting the club secretary for any details of club spares they carry.
I'll see you on the otherside'!
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

There's the Austin Counties Car Club http://psimmonds.org.uk

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
Matthew Butler

Re: Autsin A40 Somerset

Post by Matthew Butler »

Hi, I'm looking for a new carburettor for my austin A40 Sumerset.
I also brought a second Sumerset to use as a doner car but its too nice to do that so I'm looking at selling it to someone who wants a project job she is mostly in bits but all bit are there.
Thanks
Matt
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Re: Autsin A40 Somerset

Post by ManyMinors »

Hi Matt. The Austin Counties Car Club are more likely to provide good contacts for your car than those of us in the Morris Minor Owners Club I would think. The Somerset is not a common car any more and parts are no doubt harder to find.
Good luck with it.