Great GP at Silverstone

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: No

Great GP at Silverstone

Post by bmcecosse »

Good result for Webber and Hamilton - and a nice 'save' by Button. To be honest - any race where that wee twerp Vettel doesn't do well - is a GOOD race for me ! I can't understand why McLaren can't get up to the Red Bulls - I guess they may be having a few sleepless nights wondering the same thing ....... :roll:
ImageImage
Blaketon
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Great GP at Silverstone

Post by Blaketon »

It wasn't a bad drive for a number two :D .

I think the "Wee twerp" threw it away at the start (Hamilton came close to getting the jump on him), though to be fair, seventh wasn't a bad result from last (Even if he's not my ideal choice for champion this year).

A good result for Webber (Especially in the circumstances), whom I'd be happy to see win the title, as I would be for Hamilton and Button.

Nice to see Sterling Moss on his feet after his accident with the lift :D . Ofcourse he won the British GP twice (Or 1 1/2 if you like, as on the second occasion he shared the car with Tony Brooks) but on both occasions at Aintree.

Shame that they have seen fit to move the pits. Call be a stick in the mud but Copse will always be the first corner for me....I don't know where this leaves the club circuit......it's certainly changed since I first went to Silverstone and soon it will have changed greatly since I last went there.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

bmcecosse wrote:Good result for Webber and Hamilton - and a nice 'save' by Button.
Agreed a good race, but why did some of them say it wasn't possible to overtake, as I saw quite a bit.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
Alec
Minor Legend

Post by Alec »

Hello all,

Silverstone has always been one of the better circuits for overtaking. It's unfortunate that the F1 hierarchy are keener on the fancy circuit trappings than the actual racing, and to some degree must take the blame for the catastrophe that has occurred with Donnington, another great track.

Yes and well done to Mark Weber, he did the job. Christian Horner got a really aggressive interview from the BBC F1 team after the race, and to be fair, he took it well.

Alec
billlobban
Minor Addict

Post by billlobban »

Its fairley obvious that Red Bull want their young superboy to win the championship and Webber is just cannon fodder. Poetic justice was done on Sunday - great win for Mark Webber and whilst I've been a McLaren fan since before Bruce decided on orange paint I would really love him the win the championship
croft
Minor Fan

Post by croft »

Alec wrote:Hello all,

It's unfortunate that the F1 hierarchy are keener on the fancy circuit trappings than the actual racing, and to some degree must take the blame for the catastrophe that has occurred with Donnington, another great track.

Alec
The reason that the F1 hierarchy are "keen on the fancy circut trappings" is down to the fact that Bernie Ecclestone got dropped off at the wrong point at Silverstone a few years ago! He ended up shuffling through the mud with us fans and saw how the fans were treated! I have attended many events at Siverstone over the years and always wondered where my money went! Some of the "facilitys" had been unchanged for over 20yrs! I think that the promotors/owners just got to greedy and lived the highlife on the circut money rather than re-investing it back into the circut. It was great this year to see the changes to the spectator areas, it felt like you could see where some of your money had been spent!

As for Donnington! Corporate Greed! Someone thought that they would make a lot of money only to realise it wasnt going to be! Last I hear was that someone had applied for planning permision to build houses around the site!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Yes - plenty of overtaking at Silverstone, although (except at the first corner) not really any between evenly matched cars.... - but with some other circuits it's just not possible at all! Donnington was never going to happen - I believe it was just a bluff to scare Silverstone into action! And it worked!! Possibly the same idea with Webber and that 'wing' (strange - they say Red Bull GIVES you wings ???) - again maybe a bluff to get Webber riled up ?? Would you really want the wing design - that had fallen off the other car the day before anyway ?? Let's see now if Webber gets the 'special treatment' now he's leading the points over the wee twerp. I'm amazed how no one is criticising him - the way he made a huge lunge over at Webber at the start. Webber just drove straight - and that lunge from twerp caused him to lose ground - which allowed Hamilton alongside and very possibly caused the rear wheel puncture, although nothing broke on Hamilton's wing. Anyway - couldn't have happened to a more deserving chap - he's the master of his own misfortune - long may he keep it up!
ImageImage
phillip

Post by phillip »

Very impressed with A.Sutil, for fending off Vettle until he barged through. Excellent drive by Button and Barrichello too :D
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

If it hadn't been for the unnecessary Safety Car - neither Button nor Vettel would have done so well......... Had a good laugh at Alonso though - yet again!
ImageImage
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

i would like to see webber win the championship now hes a decent chap and deserves it ,not a premadona .
[sig]5641[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Indeed - he has worked his way up from 'nothing' - and although I don't necessarily like his demeanor at times - it's possibly because of all that Red Bull they drink! However - I would prefer Hamilton to win with Button second - after that - I don't really care!
ImageImage
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

I'd go along with that but I hope Webber beats "Wee Twerp" and if "Wee Twerp" is second and Webber therefore has to be champion, so be it.

However I'd still prefer to go and see http://www.vscc.co.uk/vsccweb/events/event.jsp?id=633 (If we're talking circuit races) and I hope to go to their Prescott event in August.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Looking forward to some 'real' racing Sunday!

Alec
Minor Legend

Post by Alec »

Hello Les,

usually a great spectacle, we'll see how Rossi gets on?

Alec
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Yes, he didn't waste much time getting back!

Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

I see the "Wee Twerp" was again more concerned with pushing the second placed car into the wall, than getting going this weekend. Some people never learn :roll: .
Last edited by Blaketon on Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

i daught i will watch f1 any more after todays so called race that was discraceful of ferrarri to do what they did let them race on the track not the pit wall .
[sig]5641[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Yes indeed - Vettel doesn't seem to learn - thank goodness! Ferrari are a complete disgrace - I'm sure this sort of thing must harm their car sales. I certainly won't be buying one now. I see they have been heavily fined - but they will think it's well worth it. They could surely have used coded messages - 'fuel saving' - something like that. Or made the 'pass' appear to be a brave scamper through on the straight using the slipstream. They just don't care - they are arrogant - and believe themselves to be 'above' any criticism - or indeed rules! They wouldn't last two minutes on this Forum....... Only solution - ban them from the next race - or at least move them 10 places down the grid at the next race......
ImageImage
8009STEVE
Minor Legend

Post by 8009STEVE »

F errarri
I nternational
A ssistance
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

I'm sure if McLaren had issued team orders in favour of Hamilton, they would have had a huge fine and Hamilton would have been made to tow a caravan for the next five races.

I too won't be buying a Ferrari :wink: . If I am ever in a position to buy another car, it'll be an Austin 7 Ulster/Nippy or something similar from MG or Morgan!!!