Hay Festival of Literature

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
RogerRust
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Hay Festival of Literature

Post by RogerRust »

We got home last night and are now I'm clean shaven and dry and warm again!

It was a really good event if you are a reader or thinker (probaby less good if you don't read or think!) As organised as a Swiss railway and fully of interesting talks from Terry Prachett to Monty Halls. Lots of good music too.
The campsite we were on was run by a family who cared about their visitors and did everything they could to help. The campers came from a lost world where parents played with their children and organised three legged races and the like instead of sitting in huddle drinking cheap lager while the kids got board.
There were thousand of people there but there was never a sense of it being overcrowded, I don't think I heard anyone shout or get angry all week.
Hay is a lovely town that seems to embrace the festival and welcome the boost to its rural economy.

As an aside Terry Pratchett is loosing his sharp wit and agile mind we came away from his session saddened by the effect that Alzheimer's is having on one of our heroes.

This message board is like a family - you can't choose the other members!! But remember engine oil is thicker than water.
M25VAN
Minor Addict

Re: Hay Festival of Literature

Post by M25VAN »

Ah, all those lovely bookshops. :) I have just realised some spare bookshelf capacity and would love to make a trip there. Where did you stay?
RogerRust
Minor Legend

Post by RogerRust »

we stayed on a site directly opposite the entrance to the festival, but its only open for 10 days a year.

This message board is like a family - you can't choose the other members!! But remember engine oil is thicker than water.
irmscher
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by irmscher »

Roger any good motoring books on offer ? :D