How much do I sell my car for?

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
tomtom
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

How much do I sell my car for?

Post by tomtom »

Hello fellow morris owners! I am going to sell my 'other' car a 1966 Hillman Super Minx so that I can use my Minor as my daily. Im only 19 and its to expensive to insure this and the morris minor. (Before anyone moans at me, I am just asking for your advice)
I'm unsure at what price to sell it for. It would be great to hear your suggestions...

It has 10months MOT. It had a respray about 4 years ago and there are some rust bubbles. The underside is 95% sound. I do know that the number plate is probably worth more than the car :lol: :lol: but it would be a shame to split them. The interior has new carpets and is in good condition apart from the edge of the drivers seat. It has an unleaded head. The passenger side inner wing (above the wheel WILL need welding the drivers side has been done)[frame]Image[/frame]
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Re: How much do I sell my car for?

Post by POMMReg »

What's so special about the registration number?
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
tomtom
Minor Friendly

Post by tomtom »

Its 'FUN324D' It was valued £1500-2000
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

I've just seen Elvis shopping in Morrisons!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Compare with cars for sale on ebay.......looks like £1200/1500 maybe. The number plate is NOT worth anything like you suggest.......
ImageImage
tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

Any plans to start doing free map updates?Mine's 3 years out of date and the downloads are a rip-off!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

:D :lol:
ImageImage
chuffit
Minor Friendly

Post by chuffit »

Trouble with number plate dealers is they tell you a good price so you place it on their books no money normally changes hands till they sell it :o I've seen newer plates for sale that are still on DVLC website if you want it they buy it and sell it to you at a very inflated rate. I had a two letter four number plate a few years back and enquired as to its value and I still get the odd dealer asking for it now and again. Far better leave on car in my opinion :D

Fairford,Glos
Enjoy life in the slow lane buy a minor
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

tysonn wrote:Any plans to start doing free map updates?Mine's 3 years out of date and the downloads are a rip-off!
Wonder whether they have Tom Tom's in Haiti - used to have a Ton Ton!!
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

If you are going to sell the car,get the number onto a retention certificate,then sell the car and advertise the number separately,you will then maximise your money. If you sell it with the number it will not add anything much to the value you get,and the new owner can then sell the number on,even if he only gets a few hundred pounds,its in his pocket not yours,better the other way round.Forget about sentiment,and originality,because once you part with the vehicle you have n o control over where the number ends up. I have done this several times over the years,and always found that I ended up on the better side of the deal.
One thing for certain,if the number is worth 1500 ish,(doubtfull),(I sold one recently which was a name type,very desirable since the plate can be used legally without fiddling with dots and stretched letters,for half that figure) and the car is worth 1500,don,t think you would get £3000. the number on the vehicle,may just get you a couple of 100 more.better to do as above,been there got the T shirt. Good luck
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

I thought a retention cert was quite expensive?

kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

£105 then £25 a year.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Plus the hassle and cost of new plates for the car........ Not worth the hassle for a Reg Number worth maybe £200 max......
ImageImage
tomtom
Minor Friendly

Post by tomtom »

Thanks for your replies! I have considered entering the world of satnav sales (sadly someone beat me to it).
As for the value of the plate I'm only going by what they told me its worth I know its not worth that amount :lol: I think I am going to put it up at £1500ono. The question is... Do I put it on fleabay? Ive never listed a car on there before :roll:
tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

Maybe better(and certainly cheaper as it's free)to put it on here:
http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/

I've sold a few cars on here and it's good.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

And advertise it on this forum - where it is certainly free, and will be viewed by a much higher class of prospective Classic Car Owners ( :roll: :lol: ) ...who may just be tempted..... There are also various Rootes / Hillman forums whre I expect you can post an advert.....
ImageImage
tomtom
Minor Friendly

Post by tomtom »

Thanks for your replies! Am I allowed to advertise on the for sale part of the site or is it minors only? Its now on fleabay starting at £999.99 there is a walkaround on youtube if you want to take a look :wink: Thanks for the tip about the carandclassic It shall also be going on there :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hylzVnu9vrw
StaffsMoggie
Minor Addict

Post by StaffsMoggie »

Having seen that Hillman around locally I can say it does look very nice. Its a much rarer and more interesting car than the a Minor though, I would certainly want to keep it! Hope it finds a good home and it would be a shame to take the number off it.
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

Theoretically its minors only in the cars for sale section... but other classics turn up from time to time so stick it in there (afterall its free...)
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics