Don Parker Drivon trailers

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
qwerty165
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Don Parker Drivon trailers

Post by qwerty165 »

I am trying to find out some information on said trailer and being unable to find anything online apart from the fact they were first built in 1956 and so on the off chance someone might know something more I thought I would ask here to see if anyone knows anything about these trailers.

TFM150K
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: Don Parker Drivon trailers

Post by TFM150K »

Googling Don Parker Trailers came up with the usual plethora of sites - including Don's racing history and a couple of (old) adverts for trailers. They certainly made trailers for 500 series racing cars and trikes and I am assuming that was how Don made his living?
:-?
qwerty165
Minor Addict

Post by qwerty165 »

Thank you for that. Now I could just do with finding out when they stopped making them.

POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

c1977, when Elvis died?

Sorry, that's Col.Parker!!
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
TFM150K
Minor Fan

Post by TFM150K »

I think your only chance of that is to trawl through 62000000 web-sites! Don died in the late 1990s as far as I remember but he was no spring chicken.........
:roll:
qwerty165
Minor Addict

Post by qwerty165 »

TFM150K wrote:I62000000 web-sites!
I only managed to find about 40, I must learn how to google properly.

TFM150K
Minor Fan

Post by TFM150K »

qwerty165 wrote:
TFM150K wrote:I62000000 web-sites!
I only managed to find about 40, I must learn how to google properly.
Could I advise you to be cautious about that - although "Don Parker Trailers" has now decreased to 42,300,000 sites, "Don Parker Drivon Trailers" is up to 494,000! I put in the former, thinking that the op might be interested in Drivoff trailers as well as Drivon trailers (if qwerty165 is still paying attention to this rambling, perhaps he could entighten us as to why he is interested in this particular brand)?
:wink:
Bert. A pseudonym which I am temporarily adopting seeing as "sparesman" is trying to get the "committee" to ban the use of pseudonyms. "sparesman" is obviously Brian's real name and "Brian" is a pseudonym. I wish there was a spell-check on here, I have probably spelt (or should that be 'spelled') pseudonym wrong (or should that have been 'wrongly') at least four times now. Ne'mind!
qwerty165
Minor Addict

Post by qwerty165 »

[quote="TFM150K(if qwerty165 is still paying attention to this rambling, perhaps he could entighten us as to why he is interested in this particular brand)? [/quote]
I am still paying attention (though still can nopt understand google), I am intrested in this brand because I found the manafactures plate on an old trailer and when I googled for any information it just intrested me and got me wanting to find out some history on the trailer.

TFM150K
Minor Fan

Post by TFM150K »

Thankyou. I feel enlightened now!
Bert (pseudonym)
:wink:
oldgit72

Post by oldgit72 »

I worked for don parker trailers in early 1960,s
his business was at 1a sangora road , Clapton junction . Battersea . London .
he started making trailers in 1956

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/arch ... don-parker

tony martin

I have some photo,s of drivon trailers .
Attachments
img033.jpg
img033.jpg (238.3 KiB) Viewed 4020 times
img032.jpg
img032.jpg (376.87 KiB) Viewed 4020 times
Last edited by oldgit72 on Fri May 11, 2018 11:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

They look the business! :lol:
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

My father had a Don Parker trailer, which used to carry his Cooper MkV111. The trailer was very light and had no brakes; the Cooper wasn't exactly heavy. It's over fifty years since the Cooper was sold and my memories of it are vague. However I knew that Don Parker drove a Kieft and was able to find this - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Parke ... ng_driver) . His trailers were very popular, in a similar way in which Brian James trailers were popular when I had a single seater (By which time single seaters had become bigger and heavier than when the Coopers were the cars to beat in speed events). My father bought his trailer from Don Parker, who's workshop was somewhere in London. That was best part of sixty years ago and so my father can't remember exactly where but he recalls that the workshop was, at the time, basically a fairly small corrugated shed, next to a house. I don't have a photos of the trailer but this is my father (Who will be 80 on 19th) in his Cooper.
Attachments
Cooper Mk8_JAP.jpg
Cooper Mk8_JAP.jpg (86.19 KiB) Viewed 3958 times
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

A great picture. Back in the days when you were expected to wear a collar and tie even on your days off.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Yes very smart! The opposite to what I viewed the other day on the box, (slightly off topic) you often now see these characters wearing some sort of hat back to front, as some kind of statement, I suppose. Well this particular individual actually had his hat on sideways!! ------ and the height of bad manners, he was indoors as well.

Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

ManyMinors wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 2:33 pm A great picture. Back in the days when you were expected to wear a collar and tie even on your days off.
By the 1970s, the tie would have been banned and you weren't allowed short sleeves. Later still flame proof overalls were compulsory (My father is seen in the black overalls, me in the red).

I asked my father if he recalls what the trailer cost and he thinks about £45.00
Attachments
Wiscombe September 1995.jpg
Wiscombe September 1995.jpg (123.35 KiB) Viewed 3943 times
File0002.jpg
File0002.jpg (108.93 KiB) Viewed 3943 times
oldgit72

Post by oldgit72 »

re- don parker drivon trailers who I worked for in early 1960.s .
a few more photo,s …
Attachments
img003.jpg
img003.jpg (312.73 KiB) Viewed 3890 times
img002.jpg
img002.jpg (235.38 KiB) Viewed 3890 times
img001.jpg
img001.jpg (227.96 KiB) Viewed 3890 times
oldgit72

Post by oldgit72 »

Blaketon wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 12:24 pm My father had a Don Parker trailer, which used to carry his Cooper MkV111. The trailer was very light and had no brakes; the Cooper wasn't exactly heavy. It's over fifty years since the Cooper was sold and my memories of it are vague. However I knew that Don Parker drove a Kieft and was able to find this - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Parke ... ng_driver) . His trailers were very popular, in a similar way in which Brian James trailers were popular when I had a single seater (By which time single seaters had become bigger and heavier than when the Coopers were the cars to beat in speed events). My father bought his trailer from Don Parker, who's workshop was somewhere in London. That was best part of sixty years ago and so my father can't remember exactly where but he recalls that the workshop was, at the time, basically a fairly small corrugated shed, next to a house. I don't have a photos of the trailer but this is my father (Who will be 80 on 19th) in his Cooper.
I worked for don parker trailers in early 1960,s
his business was at 1a sangora road , Clapton junction . Battersea . London .
oldgit72

Post by oldgit72 »

Blaketon wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 12:24 pm My father had a Don Parker trailer, which used to carry his Cooper MkV111. The trailer was very light and had no brakes; the Cooper wasn't exactly heavy. It's over fifty years since the Cooper was sold and my memories of it are vague. However I knew that Don Parker drove a Kieft and was able to find this - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Parke ... ng_driver) . His trailers were very popular, in a similar way in which Brian James trailers were popular when I had a single seater (By which time single seaters had become bigger and heavier than when the Coopers were the cars to beat in speed events). My father bought his trailer from Don Parker, who's workshop was somewhere in London. That was best part of sixty years ago and so my father can't remember exactly where but he recalls that the workshop was, at the time, basically a fairly small corrugated shed, next to a house. I don't have a photos of the trailer but this is my father (Who will be 80 on 19th) in his Cooper.
https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/arch ... don-parker