project restoration...

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Matt
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

project restoration...

Post by Matt »

Guys

I have just got a new project car (a morris but not a minor!).

It has no registration plate and only came with a feb '48 goods vehicle disc, showing the reg no.

Chassis plate is all intact.

What do I need to do to get it road registered? Which forms etc? Its probably been off the road since the 40s!

I have joined the bullnose morris club (but not got any membership/contact details yet) who will be able to validate the chassis no etc

Thanks in advance
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
ianmack
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: project restoration...

Post by ianmack »

As you have an official document confirming its number and an intact chassis plate you should be able to get DVLA to register the vehicle with the original number, as long as it has not been transferred to another vehicle. I think this is called the v765 procedure. Full details are on the DVLA website.
tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

Well good luck!I bought a 1973 Volvo P1800 in september that had been off the road since the eighties.Still has its original number plates.DVLA has lost all its records!Although old reg isnt allocated I cant use it and had to apply for an age related plate.Part of the conditions are that it has to have a current MOT even though I have no plans to put it on the road until Ive restored it.Due to it standing so long this MOT cost me over £1000 in parts alone.Still waiting for my third application to be processed.Roughly a 5 week turnaround when you send them the forms.If you have an old logbook or tax disc you won't have these problems,I didn't.
Mick
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Don't send original docs, you will not get them back, photocopies only
[sig]3580[/sig]
tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

Certain of them they insist are originals.Just sent them all off again for the fourth time.I obviously cant complain if I made a mistake which I did on the first application.I never realised(as I hadnt done it before)that because I couldnt produce an old V5 or tax disc that I couldnt keep the original plates(which are still on the car!).I can complain when the refusal came back with MORE conditions than first required.This happened every time they came back.One time I was told I had to contact HMRC and fill out the forms to see if VAT needed paying on it(although it was a new import in 1973).Another refusal included the need to get an MOT(even though I wanted to take my time restoring the car and had no plans to put it on the road for another 6 months).Last one was that the MOT garage had got the chassis and body numbers mixed up.So it had to go to be tested again for them to put right,luckily the garage didnt charge for that but it had to be trailered there and back.Talk about shifting the goalposts!I now have a newly MOTd car that I cant drive never mind insure because it doesnt have a registration!
Mick