Diesel air pollution

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
smithskids
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Diesel air pollution

Post by smithskids »

olderisbetter is correct about the tennis ball under the accelerator. I used to do testing on diesels when I worked for Mirrlees Blackstone and Brush Traction and all were subjected to a Bosch particulate test even when running on 3000 sec. heavy fuel oil. most of ours were fitted withe a fuel rack limiter that controlled the rate of acceleration of the engine allowing the turbocharger to keep pace with the amount of fuel being admitted to the engine, this stops the clouds of black smoke being emitted when you put the hammer down. Sid, I have seen some of the deltics from various preservation socs. and as regards working on them you dont want to know, 3 cranks, :D 18 cylinders and a horrendous bunch of gears in the end casing, but I have to admit they sound fab.
olderisbetter
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by olderisbetter »

I think whatever happens the fuel tax will always apply, even if we could get cars to run on water they would still need the tax revenue from it, and then a litre of water would suddenly cost £1.25.. oh wait it already does :lol:

TFM150K
Minor Fan

Post by TFM150K »

At my local soopastoreplace they are selling paraffin in 4-litre plastic containers and its more expensive than diesel - yet it's not subject to all the taxes on motor-fuel. £8.75, seeing as you ask. Fortunately I know a place where you can get it on draught at £1 a litre, but its 17 miles away. Fortunately I go there occasionally and can fill a 20-litre can.
:roll:
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Interesting article on diesel emissions in yesterday's Sunday Times. They say true emission levels are very much higher than the manufacturers claim. Not surprised really.
Meghna

Post by Meghna »

I think it will take around more 10 year to develop(they are already developed but government it not interested in it, because of money) other energy source like solar, CNG etc....
robertsfallon

Post by robertsfallon »

Diesel exhaust is among the country's most prevalent resources of toxic air population. America's 11 million diesels-- buses, trucks, trains, ships, and construction.
olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

I am still running on sunflower oil at the moment, no good for the modern engines but my old toyota runs great on it, i wonder how well it will work on my friends old 1.5 bmc diesel engine.

smithskids
Minor Addict

Post by smithskids »

Don't forget all the parafins, tractor vaporising oils,diesel fuels and aviation turbine and jet fuel are kerosenes, so we better limit the planes as well. 8)
olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

I was behind a small modern looking car with a "ECO" badge on the tailgate, The driver and passenger were both using vapes that looked huge, When they took a puff the vapour cloud was so big they kept disappearing, Remember the old days when the smoke came out of the exhaust?