Stupid Mistake

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: No

Stupid Mistake

Post by bmcecosse »

Has anyone made the mistake I made earlier this evening - I 'upgraded' to Windows 10.... Now hardly anything works - and what does work is slow as treacle.... I feared this would happen - but they assured me my laptop was entirely compatible. Is there anyway back to my good old Windows 7 ??? Can I use 'restore' to get back to safe territory ? :oops: :( :cry:
ImageImage
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Stupid Mistake

Post by les »

Sorry can't help Roy but thanks for posting I've been putting off 'upgrading' as these problems often seem to occur afterwards! :-?

The vast minority
Minor Fan

Post by The vast minority »

bad move

Here's how to get your windows back. Not tried it myself as wouldn't dream of downgrading to 10 from 7 pro.

http://www.howtogeek.com/220723/how-to- ... -7-or-8.1/

Good luck

Al
PSL184
Minor Legend

Post by PSL184 »

[sig]8426[/sig]

Compare the Minors - Simples !! http://mog.myfreeforum.org/index.php
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Bet they didn't use Windows for the moon landings, doubt we'd have seen the astronauts again! :-?

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Thanks lads - I knew within myself it was going to be a mistake - but the daily prompts to do it eventually wore me down... It was far from 'simples'.... I'l wait till tomorrow - then perhaps try to get back to 7. Appreciate the fast response ! Roy
ImageImage
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

I have read of some problems with 10, but for me it has so enhanced the performance of several machines that there's no question of going back. The upgrade was simple. Boot time and shutdown is a few seconds; and everything runs well. Brilliant :D I suppose it's a bit like whether one likes drums or discs :wink:

One word of warning: The upgrade can complete quickly, but in some cases it can take 24 - 48 hours. You just have to be patient, it will get there.
GBond
Minor Fan

Post by GBond »

If it's working properly Windows 10 is by far the best, much better even than 7. I had a great experience upgrading on my desktop and even my 6 year old laptop but on my sister's 2 year old computer nothing worked and she had to reinstall everything from scratch so I'm guessing it all depends on the machine.
Gabriel
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

It's soon to become an automatic installation, you will have to stop it loading rather that request it to :-?
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Tony Benn made a much worse mistake in early 1953!
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I read about that, didn't he forget his umbrella and get caught out in a particularly bad downpour?

minijojo
Minor Fan

Post by minijojo »

irony on " sorry, but you made two mistakes. The second is you chose the wrong operating system, change to Mac OS at the next opportunity" irony off
the better personal computer :-) says the mac os supporter Joachim
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

It seems to have settled down and is now working ok. The download and installation took over 3 hours, and then I realised there was an external problem with our Broadband coming and going - which wasn't helping. I 'lost' everything I had in Internet Explorer, but all the Opera and Chrome sites transferred over ok - although I had to Log in (and search for passwords) on many of them - when normally they would Log in automatically. But now working pretty much as before - although I don't see an 'improvement' as such. Thanks again for advice and comments ! Roy
ImageImage
Trickydicky
Minor Legend

Post by Trickydicky »

Another Windows bashing thread :roll: almost as good as the opinions on oil......
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
TFM150K
Minor Fan

Post by TFM150K »

Trickydicky wrote:Another Windows bashing thread :roll: almost as good as the opinions on oil......
I like oil, not so sure about Windows (and don't mention f***b**k or my machine automatically shuts down). :roll:
GBond
Minor Fan

Post by GBond »

Roy: Internet Explorer is still there but you need to look for it. On the new browser, to import your favorites and stuff go to "Settings" (In the three dots at the top right) and then there's some blue letters that read "Import favorites from another browser" so you click that, choose Internet Explorer and that's it.
Gabriel
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Thanks Gabriel - I have noticed the 'import settings' - but meantime I have remembered what was there and re-established it all in 'Edge'. So for the moment - all is well.
ImageImage
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

I get reminders all the time and just pop up its wearing me down just to click for windows 10 :(
Plin
Minor Fan

Post by Plin »

I agree those blooming 'Upgrade to Windows 10' reminder pop ups are annoying! Hope you get to like Windows 10 soon Roy. I declined to upgrade our refurbished desktop which is running Windows 7 (which I deliberately chose instead of Windows 8.) However our laptop and son's laptop had Windows 8.1 which I never really liked so it was a good move to upgrade to 10.
olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

As a rule i wait as long as i can before oving to the next version of Windows, At the moment i still have windows 7 ulitmate on my system, I tried widows 8 versions but those mad metro fronts ends and easy user systems made it a pain, Remember when computers were simple ...fancy installing Windows 95 from 32 floppy discs anybody?