40 mph speed limit?

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: No

40 mph speed limit?

Post by bmcecosse »

Am I correct in thinking that an HGV (bl00dy big articulated thing) is limited to 40 mph when driving on a single carriageway 'A' road??? And if so - why am I closely tailgated (and I do mean CLOSE) when doing 50 - especially when there is no point going faster when there is line of traffic 100 yds ahead also doing 50...... Or are they allowed to do 60 everywhere??
ImageImage
LouiseM

Re: 40 mph speed limit?

Post by LouiseM »

Speed limits have changed Roy. Since April HGV's can now do 50mph on single carriageways and 60mph on dual carriageways in England & Wales. Scottish speeds have remained the same except for the M9/A9 trunk road where HGV's can do 50mph: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/sdsi/2014/9780111023433

Eric - 1971 Traveller
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Well - i'm in Scotland! We're all a bit slow up here... :wink: No doubt 'Nickers' will sort it out someday - but like everything else she fails to do - not holding my breath... Didn't know the limits had changed in England - thanks for that!
ImageImage
olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

Sadly you get a few morons driving with no patience in the big trucks , i just drive a bit slower and watch them scream till their choclate yorkies melt.

Blaketon
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Blaketon »

I thought governors were set to 56mph?
sid
Minor Fan

Post by sid »

i'm an artic driver Roy,and we have a few morons in our industry,just like any other.as for the tail-gating..i blame ABS brakes as drivers think they can stop on a sixpence now,unlike the old days of hammering along at 70-80 mph in our F88 Volvo's and the like,when you'd stamp on the brakes,close your eyes and hope for the best! :lol:
HarryMango
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by HarryMango »

Blaketon wrote:I thought governors were set to 56mph?
This is where (currently) European & British laws conflict - most British lorries have to run to European regulations which state they must be limited to 56mph but the national speed limit in Eng/Wales is 60mph for a dual carriageway or motorway.

Even on a modest descent a loaded truck will over run the speed limiter & try to run away unless checked

Rog