Rooftop hitching 1974 caravan!

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
LobbyLudd
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Rooftop hitching 1974 caravan!

Post by LobbyLudd »

See......."Volkwagen Beetle 1974 Caravan - Vendoo.It -YouTube"

Wonder if anyone ever tried this on their minor saloon ?. (The roof should be as strong as this beetle !)

Would make a nice period accessory if I could get one :lol:
'69 4 door saloon, traf: blue.

'LIFE'- is what happens when you are busy planning other things. John Lennon
amgrave
Minor Addict

Re: Rooftop hitching 1974 caravan!

Post by amgrave »

That's a good idea but I bet it would not pass muster with MOT in this country.

simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by simmitc »

Brilliant concept, it makes a lot of sense.
LobbyLudd
Minor Fan

Post by LobbyLudd »

finally managed to add the actual link for viewing this video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBjU_N_4iUY&sns=em

SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

My beetle's back from its respray next week (hopefully) but I may pass on the caravan...Clever though.
olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

I seem to remember a man who had an american pick up with a caravan that sat half on the back but i am sure he said it was classed as an artic and he could not drive it on a standard license.

LobbyLudd
Minor Fan

Post by LobbyLudd »

olderisbetter wrote:I seem to remember a man who had an american pick up with a caravan that sat half on the back but i am sure he said it was classed as an artic and he could not drive it on a standard license.
That's known as a '5th wheel rig,' with the towing hitch mounted on the load bed of a pick up, and an extremely stable unit it makes. This sysem has always had a great following and very popular in the states . The catagory of driving licence needed should be a C1+E (catagory restricted 107 - train weight not to exceed 8,250 kilos) If the rig is heavier a 'full' C1+E would be required (up to 12,000 kilos train weight)

If you passed your normal driving test before Jan 1st 1997 you will already hold a C1+E licence (restricted 107 up to 8,250 T/W)
allowing you to drive one if you fancied the idea :wink:

amgrave
Minor Addict

Post by amgrave »

That might have changed now Lobby, the powers that be have removed "granddad rights" from the driving license. I used to be able to drive a 7.5t and have done but since two years ago that right was removed unless I took an extended training course for 7.5t vehicles and trailer towing including hitching etc, sucking eggs comes to mind.

LobbyLudd
Minor Fan

Post by LobbyLudd »

amgrave wrote:That might have changed now Lobby, the powers that be have removed "granddad rights" from the driving license. I used to be able to drive a 7.5t and have done but since two years ago that right was removed unless I took an extended training course for 7.5t vehicles and trailer towing including hitching etc, sucking eggs comes to mind.
Thank you for the update amgrave - What have they got against us Granddads perhaps they are a bit envious of our collective past experience and of just being around longer on this rapidly shrinking planet and absorbing too much past information for our own good ! :cry: :cry: :cry:

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

On the M27 last evening going west - saw a large pickup fitted with a 5th wheel arrangement in the pickup bed towing a large caravan fitted with a 5th wheel hook up under what appeared to be the front bedroom.
Looked good to me. :D

As regards granddads rights - some may have been removed but I am still a granddad - colloquially known as Granddad Pops . :D :D

irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Young drivers have to take a special test to tow a trailer :(
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Post by greendefender123 »

irmscher wrote:Young drivers have to take a special test to tow a trailer :(
I did tho most my mates haven't and tell me iv read the rules wrong. Better safe than sorry.
LobbyLudd
Minor Fan

Post by LobbyLudd »

greendefender123 wrote:
irmscher wrote:Young drivers have to take a special test to tow a trailer :(
I did tho most my mates haven't and tell me iv read the rules wrong. Better safe than sorry.
Many fewer rules in the late 1950's early 60's . I found an old leaflet published from a local test centre of that era titled 'Guidance for when taking your Driving Test' - Here are two of the example guidelines listed.
"If taking your test in a commercial van with drivers seat only (no passenger seat) you will need to supply the tester ideally with a suitable stout packing wooden case on which he can sit"
You will be asked to refrain from smoking during the duration of the actual test at the strict discretion of the tester. :roll:

TFM150K
Minor Fan

Post by TFM150K »

Now they can even insist on you having head-restraints on the examiner's seat so Moggies would have to have a replacement!
:roll:
Big Jim
Minor Fan

Post by Big Jim »

How about this ?[frame]Image[/frame]

TFM150K
Minor Fan

Post by TFM150K »

Only just come across this wunderfuel artic - American????
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

amgrave wrote:That might have changed now Lobby, the powers that be have removed "granddad rights" from the driving license. I used to be able to drive a 7.5t and have done but since two years ago that right was removed unless I took an extended training course for 7.5t vehicles and trailer towing including hitching etc, sucking eggs comes to mind.
Sorry but cant agree with that statement.
There have been some well documented complete screw-ups by DVLA on renewing some driving Licences, but the 'Grandfathered' categories still apply.
I've just checked mine today online and I've still got B, BE, C1, C1E, D1, D1E, F, K, L, N and P.
My C1E is with restriction 107 as LobbyLudd stated.
Basil the 1955 series II

TDV102
Minor Addict

Post by TDV102 »

"C1 Licence Exceptions
Drivers who passed their Category B (car licence) test before 1st January 1997 will benefit from acquired rights (also referred to as grandfathering rights). This means that these group of drivers already have the C1+E entitlement on their driving licence. However, the C1+E licence granted through acquired rights has a restriction code 107 attached to it meaning that you are restricted to a combined weight of not greater than 8250kgs. Therefore, if you wanted to drive any combination in excess of this weight up to a maximum combination of 12 tonnes, you would need to take the C1+E test.

People who took their driving test after January 1997 will not have been granted the C1 licence or the C1+E licence, and will therefore have to take a separate C1 test to get the C1 licence, and then a further C1+E test to acquire the C1+E licence."

So yes, my grandad rights are intact, I got a replacement licence recently.
Good home offered for custom splittie