Bangernomics.

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
greendefender123
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Bangernomics.

Post by greendefender123 »

Not to take over somebody else's thread. Here's my current bangernomics motors.

Bangernomics is great. Bought my fiesta with 10months mot. Fully stamped service book upto 3k before I bought it, still really shiny and tidy for £150 no rust aswell. Tho could do with a quick waxoyl tho. Since iv started bangernomics iv always made money on cars. 1st fiesta was £142 I put 12months mot on it. Drove it for 8 months and sold it for £250 as my mate wanted it. Doubled my money on the x90. Sold a £50 ka for £450 only cause the buyer thought my £300 asking price was to low so I serviced it for him. Also means I have more money to spend on the morris which is an investment instead of paying £300 a month on finance on a car I wouldn't like. I still over service my vehicles. Oil change every 6k and that. Mainly cause it only cost £15 on the fiesta.

Anybody else run a cars the bangernomics way?[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
morris van
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Bangernomics.

Post by morris van »

A friends neighbour did a banger challenge for charity six years ago and he bought a mk2 Ford Granada for £85 with 10 months MOT and tax and after three weeks did 8000 miles and when he got home washed and polished it and sold it for £400 and it is still MOTed and taxed and he sees it everyday as the man who had it was in the Granada owners club lives at the end of his road and was over the moon with it.

olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

ok nice to see bangernomics is now being used as a word, if the kids start trending it on twitter i think it gets into the dictionary... :D

Longdog
Minor Fan

Post by Longdog »

Excellent :lol: I have a £400 Cavalier as my daily drive and have seldom been happier with a set of wheels. Although she's 21 she's still doing good work and proving the environmental catastrophe of the scrappage scheme wrong. I can't even begin to tell you how much it makes you smile when overtaken by a vehicle which haemorrhages more in depreciation each month. And best of all it is easy to work on. Some of the best financial sense out there. Fly the flag for the old-timers I say.
[sig]6530[/sig]
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

my saab is 19 years old and still going strong :D
[sig]5641[/sig]
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

That's cheating - Saab's are well known for long levity. :D :wink:

greendefender123
Minor Addict

Great. I get a feeling of satisfaction driving my bangers. My mates engine has gone in his M3 gonna cost 2 grand for a second hand one. Then he's gotta fit it.

Just bought a vw camper project. Really solid shell body's all done waiting for paint. Tho its gonna have to sit for abit.
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

What sort of camper? We've had a few in the family. Really like the T25. Not pretty but maybe the next camping classic?
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Hi it's a bay. Everything mechanically is there apart from an engine. Tho my father's got a 1600 beetle engine which he'll rebuild for it. No glass or interior. Got the doors but theyre bare. Bought it for my partner really. Haven't taken any pictures yet. It's just been stuck in a garage for the moment. I'm far to busy for it but a friend needed it gone cause he's moving. Its a right hand import aswell so is solid.
olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

SteveClem, the t25 has started to follow the price trend of bays and split screens, i have always fancied one of the mpv versions with the table in and lots of seats i think its a multivan, but after looking on sites i spotted they made the t35 in south africa till around 2005, they have the 5 cylinder and look like a nice basis for a camper .

IaininTenbury
Minor Legend

Post by IaininTenbury »

Best 'banger' I had was a Mk2 Granada 2.3. Saw it at the roadside for £250 with 9months test. Bought it drove it. Sold it with 2 months test left for £350 which happily paid for the roadtax for the six months. Never laid a spanner on it which is a lot more than everything else I've ever had...
Current incumbent is a 1990 Renault 5 special edition "The Famous Five" (in a sort of Enid Blytonesque script on the rear sides)
Cost £150 to save it from the scrapper and done over 30,000 miles in it now 4 years on. Its had a few bits, wheel bearings bushes, exhaust etc. but its cheap and simple enough to fix in a sort of Morris Minor sort of way. Now only 20 or so Famous Fives left apparently so may be worth looking after.
Latest banger looks like some sort of Audi estate. Not sure which model, at the price I didn't bother asking... Will find out this weekend :)
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!
Chipper
Minor Addict

Post by Chipper »

The unit I work at has a metal recyclers (essentially, a scrap yard) next to it, and since they've been there, I bought/rescued off them two cars - a 1998 Fiat Cinquecento SX (899cc engine) with just 65,000 miles and 2 lady owners for £110, which only needed some work to the rear brakes and can achieve 70 mpg - ultimate bargain motoring! :)

On the other end of the scale, I also recently bought off them a 1999 BMW E39 523i, again needing work on the rear brakes, for £125. It was so cheap because it got dropped off with the key left under the windscreen wiper, but the scrappy boys didn't know that, or didn't think to look, so they smashed the driver's window to get in to open the boot so they could tow it. I discovered the key, hooked up a battery to establish it ran (lovely smooth straight six, 2.5-litre 24-valve mill), kept quiet that it actually did, then offered the scrappy boss to take it off his hands.

A new window (£15) fitted, and it's quite a nice car again. It happens to be a rare non-sunroof, manual version, so worth saving...
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
morris van
Minor Legend

Post by morris van »

Back in mid 1970s my dad saved a 1963 Morris Minor convertible reg AMP533A from a breakers and sold it in about 1978.It was restored and had been MOTed until 30th July this year so it must be off the road now.

Peetee
Minor Legend

Post by Peetee »

Best bargain I heard of was a work mate who bought a j plate Cavalier about 8 years ago from a Vauxhall main dealer. He drove it for the next 3 years and only had to replace the fuel in the tank and the alternator. I left that job around then and i wouldn't be suprised if he still has it now. The car was clean, rust free and cost him £50.
Older and more confused than I could ever imagine possible.
firehor5e
Minor Fan

Post by firehor5e »

Years ago ibought an astra gte "non runner" from the local car auction for £20. put a battery on it,drove it home and flogged it for £850!
1968 2 door 1275
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

A Talbot Solara was a great banger.
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Ahh got the problem now my fiesta needs work. The screen has cracked, water leak when it rains, hole in the floor, middle exhaust is now blowing and iv got some knocks on the front. Mot is the 22nd of January so nothing to worry about yet. But do I spend or get something else? The screen will be £100, floor welding just my time, exhaust about £20 and suspension will probably be £20, plus anything else the mot might bring up.

Excluding tax, insurance and fuel, this car has only cost me a pound a day including servicing and repairs. Cheap motoring or what!
olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

greendefender123, £1 a day thats good going i know someone who had a service done on VW passat diesel with a cam belt change it has cost just under £900, thats more than i have spent on my Toyota Granvia disel in 6 years.

greendefender123
Minor Addict

Woops just bought this for next year. My uncle accidentally bought it at a farm sale. Its really tidy. Only done 77k. Gonna store it till next year and do the cambelt and change the head gasket as it has a oil leak. Easy to do as its a single cam engine. Its got 4 new tyres and an exhaust. [frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
Chipper
Minor Addict

Post by Chipper »

How did he manage to 'accidentally' buy a car? :lol:
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)