Not what it used to be?

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Not what it used to be?

Post by philthehill »

I have given up trying to post pictures on here.
As they say a picture paints a thousand words but not anymore for me so I have taken to literally writing the thousand words. :wink:

firedrake1942
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by firedrake1942 »

Thanks for this I seek several modern languages, this is not one! I will wait until the children come over. I am sure there was a reason I had them ....programming telly remotes, uploading pix to MMOC site etc
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

The forum is not the same without Roy Bmc Ecosse without his sharp wit and knowledge he shared with all :( .I cant understand why the club got the cheapest website possible instead of spending on a decent one.There was a post asking what people want from the new website the answer is what did we get nothing !! and the MMOC is one of the most expensive clubs to be a member of.
Propshaft
Minor Fan

Post by Propshaft »

It's all very well having different apps and systems to post photos but I used to be able to post photos straight from my I pad but with the new system I can't . Is this progress.?
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

It should be as easy as cut / copy and paste in this day and age (That is about all I am capable of!). The site which hosts my book catalogue - library thing, has an 'upload picture' facility for books without covers and resizes it automatically so you get none of this ' image too large' stuff. The app that goes along with it on the iPhone allows you to take a photo and upload directly. Could we not have had this sort of facility here ? It seems unnecessarily complex as it is (an impossible for me at 55 to understand!)
Fingolfin
Minor Legend

Post by Fingolfin »

I like the look of the new board, but the photo incapability is terrible. Such a small file size (what is it, 250 kB?) made sense in 2002, but not 2017. And the old board let you put as many photos as you wanted in a single post (I believe - I never ran up against a limit, anyway), whereas the new seems to stop you at three.

I also noticed the lack of activity, around both boards, and the Young Members forum and the other groups on Facebook have been abnormally quiet too. Are we growing out of Minors? :roll:
The way to a man's heart may be making food, but the way to my heart is buying me car parts!
Come read about my Minor at An American Moggie.

greendefender123
Minor Addict

Post by greendefender123 »

Fingolfin wrote:I like the look of the new board, but the photo incapability is terrible. Such a small file size (what is it, 250 kB?) made sense in 2002, but not 2017. And the old board let you put as many photos as you wanted in a single post (I believe - I never ran up against a limit, anyway), whereas the new seems to stop you at three.

I also noticed the lack of activity, around both boards, and the Young Members forum and the other groups on Facebook have been abnormally quiet too. Are we growing out of Minors? :roll:
Upload to photobucket 1st no size worry then.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Yes photobucket is the answer, until the forum is sorted.

Fingolfin
Minor Legend

Post by Fingolfin »

I shouldn't have to use a different website to make the one I want to use user-friendly. :roll:
The way to a man's heart may be making food, but the way to my heart is buying me car parts!
Come read about my Minor at An American Moggie.

greendefender123
Minor Addict

Post by greendefender123 »

Fingolfin wrote:I shouldn't have to use a different website to make the one I want to use user-friendly. :roll:
The other morris minor forum is still easy/normal to use. Nothings perfect.
amgrave
Minor Addict

Post by amgrave »

I hope this lack of picture malarkey is not a limitation of the site provider, because if it is it looks like we are stuck with it unless the website is changed and we wont want to go through that again :cry: :cry: :cry:

BrianHawley
Minor Fan
Location: Yanbu Al-Sinaiyah, Saudi Arabia (temporary posting)

Post by BrianHawley »

Just a personal view, but I'm tending to use the other board a lot more these days.

Why?

Well I vaguely knew the other board existed but had never really looked at it. When this board went down, I gave it a try.

For me the main difference is the Tapatalk support on the other. (That's an app that runs on a smart phone and gives you real time notifications when posts are answered etc.)

I can access the other board with a click or two using the app. For this one I have to open a browser, which I don't like to do on the same phone I use for banking. I like both boards, but the other is simply easier for me whenever I have a spare moment.

I must say that this board has a few irritations in the new format, and it would be nice if they were sorted. Looks terrible on a mobile, pic posting issues, on-line store issues and the front page banner still hides behind the picture on smaller screens. It's been a few months now and if they paid a web designer, he needs a firm prod to get on with it.
Brian

Image "Jodie". '67 Traveller, 1275, discs, suspension mods etc.
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Anyone at MMOC central listening? Hello ? Hello ? zzzzzzzzzz
amgrave
Minor Addict

Post by amgrave »

As I said above; MMOC, face, bovvered.
Someone that matters must have noticed by now that we are not enriched by the upgrade, far from it. If anything the site has gone backwards. It's not mobile friendly, a pain to add pictures and not so easy to navigate round along with a few other problems mentioned by others. Still at the end of the day it is up to us to continue using it or not so if you can stomach it carry on if not go over to the other side :wink: . I doubt this site will get any better, shame though :evil:

irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

What surprises me there has been no interaction from anybody regarding the site and from a paid up members view is disgusting :evil: .I can go on another Morris site which is a far better set up and its FREE
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Kind of get the feeling that the top club blokes don't do the forum and probably don't appreciate that it's struggling a bit. A real shame because they could learn a lot about the way enthusiasts feel.
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Valid point , so what don't the dements, sorry moderators who do monitor the forum, pass on how a number of active posters are feeling. There is likely to be a level of this feeling amongst the otherwise silent minority. I have been an MMOC member on and off since 1978 and having put my car back on the road, rejoined. This forum is a fantastic resource tapping in to the experience and expertise of members across the country and beyond. It is such a pity that other fora and similar sites are so far ahead in technological terms, especially after a much vaunted upgrade, the benefits of which, seem to be rather elusive to members with more longevity than I.

Anyone at MMOC central listening yet ??? Hallo - what is that strange echoing noise?? Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Propshaft
Minor Fan

Post by Propshaft »

Can't believe that nobody from " management" has got the decency to come on this message board and let us know one way or the other if this board is going to be improved or left as is
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

From my point of view the only downside to this forum is the inability to upload photos directly, the file size being too small. In view of the clubs apparent reluctance to engage on this, I go via photobucket. It means uploading, then copying and pasting, bit of a pain but it does the job. I note the comment saying ' why should I have to go through a third party to post photos' or words to that effect, fair enough you shouldn't but again in the light of no improvement in sight. It's that or similar or no pictures!

LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

firedrake1942 wrote: so what don't the dements, sorry moderators who do monitor the forum, pass on how a number of active posters are feeling.
I have, and our IT provider have today increased the file size for posted images to 10mb and 50 images per post. I have just done a test and a photo which would not upload from my pc previously (despite being reduced to a tiny size) has uploaded directly, with no need to resize.

To post an image, when posting a message if you click on 'Attachments', then 'add files' and select the image that you want to upload, then click 'place inline' it should appear (try a preview to check).

our IT provider also say that they have tested the site on various android, iphone and windows mobile devices and it seems to be working fine.

They have asked that if people have specific problems full details could be provided with regards to what the problem is. I will start a new thread in the 'problems with the messageboard' forum titled 'Specific problems for our IT provider' so please post your individual issues there and I will forward them onto them on a regular basis. Your patience would be appreciated (and please don't criticise the mods for something which is entirely outside of our control. We are trying our best behind the scenes to get things sorted!) Thank you.

Eric - 1971 Traveller