Lots of badgers

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
SteveClem
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Lots of badgers

Post by SteveClem »

Passed 3 dead ones on the road today. Seems that there are lots about these days.
toulky
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Re: Lots of badgers

Post by toulky »

Farmers kill them then dump carcass next to road to pretend roadkill !
sid
Minor Fan

Post by sid »

toulky wrote:Farmers kill them then dump carcass next to road to pretend roadkill !
didn't think of that! yes,there are loads of dead 'uns about these days.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Most people keep animals because they have some affection for them, most farmers view them as a commodity. Woe betide anything they feel gets in the way.

Nickol
Minor Addict

Post by Nickol »

Not all farmers are like that - a farmer friend of mine in Norfolk most definately is not and similarly here. Whilst I have not seen many Badgers in the rural area where I live, we do have a lot of racoons. These were brought over by GIs and many ran off and multiplied. Their carcasses often lie at the side of the road. Some People want to drastically curb their numbers by violent means. I always wonder at the logic of doing so for "environmental reasons" when human beings are the real danger to the Environment.

The sadest sight are the deer that have been run over. Particulary in the springtime when they are sexually active, one will race across the road in front of you and, you are told, then you must brake hard because another is surely just behind her.
Gott schütze mich vorm Sturm und Wind und Autos, die aus England sind.
download/file.php?id=4822[/sig]
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I did say most Nickol, I realise that it can't extend to all farmers.

toulky
Minor Friendly

Post by toulky »

Yes I did not include ALL farmers but certainly some do !
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

I've heard this said about farmers but is it any more than rumour or supposition? I would have thought that anyone with acres of farmland would have plenty of space to lose a carcass. It seems perverse to leave it exposed.
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Given that badgers are reputed to carry bovine tuberculosis, I presume that any farmer with cattle grazing would want badgers off his/her land, at any cost dead or alive. This doesn't in any way mean I condone them being killed and just chucked over the nearest fence especially as controlled culling procedures exist
1956 4-door called Max
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

We used to run holiday cottages next to a working dairy farm. The farmer hated badgers. My only issues with them were that they undermined the dry stone walls and I had to keep rebuilding them. Eventually realised that if I made an underpass on their favoured route all was fine. Oh, and dogs Like to roll in badger poo, so a good hosepipe is essential.
Dean
Minor Legend

Post by Dean »

Last week being a kind idiot walking back from the gym, I saw a hedgehog crossing the road. It stopped when it saw me, but thinking to myself, you will die there I went to pick it up and put it on the pavement. At the last minute it rolled and pricked it's pokey things in my hands. Wow they were like bee stings in my hands for twenty minutes. Never again... :o
My Minor:
A Clarendon Grey 1953 4 Door Series II.
MMOC - 66535

palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

If its got more legs than me and it can't be made to wear a lead or a saddle, I steer well clear of it :D
1956 4-door called Max
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

I have a badger and four foxes that come every night in my garden .I can watch them for ages digging worms up which is there staple diet .I have a rule if its got a face don't eat it and there is no room for cruelty to any animal .
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Amongst the stories of wrong doing involving our animal neighbours, posts like the one above, are good to hear! :D

firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Try telling my cat that .... Pigeons, mice, voles, squirrels, sparrows, thrushes, frogs. Its fine when I find them or they are still alive, but when I found the three week dead pigeon under the bed ......
toulky
Minor Friendly

Post by toulky »

3 week old dead pigeon ! Bet the wife was blaming you for the bedroom smell :lol:
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

I had been away and neighbours looking after cat. As soon as i went upstairs I smelled the smell I used to come across at Sudden Deaths as a Plod. I knew exactly what it was.

Had it been the x-wife I would have been happy. As it was, it was a poor innocent pigeon.......
Plin
Minor Fan

Post by Plin »

:-? 3 week old dead pigeon is a bit of a grim find! How long did it take to get rid of the smell?!
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

That's a bit of a grim question ! :-?

firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Not long once the carcass and its new occupants were removed