Aldi type places.

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
SteveClem
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Aldi type places.

Post by SteveClem »

I'm rather fond of the traditional flat cap. As worn by my hero Cleggy ,in 'Last of the Summer Wine'. Apparently I resemble him...
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

[/quote]

Woolly hats make my scalp itch like crazy so baseball cap to keep the draught off![/quote]
Not positioned back to front I hope!

palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Indeed not! Peak to the front at all times! I've become self-conscious about my attire, espcially since reading somewhere recently that men over 27 years of age shouldn't wear 'hoodies' as they look stupid in them... at 56 years old I habitually wear them in winter... branded and colour-coded to my choice of baseball cap :lol:
1956 4-door called Max
panky
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by panky »

Don't do woolly hats, they make a right mess of my curly locks
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Hoody fan myself, but no front zip!!!! Cannot wear baseball caps - arrested too many idiots wearing them !
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

SteveClem wrote:I'm rather fond of the traditional flat cap. As worn by my hero Cleggy ,in 'Last of the Summer Wine'. Apparently I resemble him...
I had my first at the age of 14 (Plus a few since, one of which has straps, like Foggy's, so it doesn't blow off in the Midget). I also like Last of the Summer Wine and enjoy all the characters, including the timid (But often wise) Clegg. I always enjoy Clegg at the wheel.

One of my caps was replaced after the previous one got blown off in a snow storm. A few days later, whilst driving along, I spotted the old one lying on top of the snow, so I retrieved it (It had shrunk a little, so I had it stretched and dry cleaned) and I still have it over 30 years later. The replacement has been worn a lot and was even re lined by a lady who works at the Blists Hill Museum.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

palacebear wrote:Woolly hats make my scalp itch like crazy so baseball cap to keep the draught off!
One of the first things I brought after getting Basil (name carried over from previous owners due to BSL*** reg) was a pair of 'Bump Caps' for me and the Mrs to wear when working on the car. :wink:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Scruffs-Bump ... 489606e91e
Basil the 1955 series II

Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

SteveClem wrote:I'm rather fond of the traditional flat cap. As worn by my hero Cleggy ,in 'Last of the Summer Wine'. Apparently I resemble him...
I watched an early Last of the Summer Wine and Clegg ended up buying a Morris Minor Tourer for £30. Needless to say, it ended up being shunted.
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Wasn't he a Lino salesman in pre retirement? I didn't do that...just other antediluvian ways of earning a living :wink:
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Steve, you have just used my favourite word - antediluvian - I just love the sound and the meaning .
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

My golly - the ways of earning a living must be old - 'Antediluvian' means the time before the Biblical Flood.
Happy New Year.
Phil

firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

and there is ante-antediluvian as well!
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

On the subject of vanity and keeping up appearances, I have just been told a tale of a plumber, who works away most of the week and who's wife is hard work. As an example, she gets him to drive to places where celebrities are known to be appearing, in the hope that she can be photographed or filmed in the background and when one of the neighbours had a new 70 inch TV (Must have a big room to justify a screen that big), the plumber's wife dragged the box and left it outside her house, in the hope that people would infer that they had bought a 70 inch TV. Apparently she is in her mid fifties, when you would expect most people to have grown out of that kind of thing :-? . I think this beats sending the Waitrose delivery away, when it's in a plain white van.
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

'Vanitas vanitatum dixit Ecclesiastes omnia vanitas!' as they say around our way !
TDV102
Minor Addict

Post by TDV102 »

I never wear hats of any kind. which is probably why I have a full head of hair at 57! Baseball caps are for chavs, flat caps in our area are a very 'young farmer' and tweed thing. A few well-to-do chavs wear flat caps and look even more ridiculous.
Good home offered for custom splittie
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

firedrake1942 wrote:'Vanitas vanitatum dixit Ecclesiastes omnia vanitas!' as they say around our way !
A policemans lot is not a happy one?

firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

But I have worn flat caps and helmets (beat and riot) for 31 years and I have only receded slightly - a retired policeman's lot is a very happy one esp. with a Minor to play with.
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Never did that particular G&S operetta, but I'd recommend Iolanthe. It's satire of parliament is still very amusing. :D
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

And true! They are a pompous self serving lot. Lots of 'Do you know who I am Officer?' 'I pay your wages' etc. The get quite cross when the reply to 1 is 'No do you know who i am .... No? .... that makes us even then!' and to 2 ' Actually I think I pay yours as well !'
jollysmart
Minor Friendly

Post by jollysmart »

firedrake1942 wrote:And true! They are a pompous self serving lot. Lots of 'Do you know who I am Officer?' 'I pay your wages' etc. The get quite cross when the reply to 1 is 'No do you know who i am .... No? .... that makes us even then!' and to 2 ' Actually I think I pay yours as well !'
When one of my old managers tried that with one of the workers the one he asked turned to his colleagues and said "there's a guy here doesn't know who he is" That went down well.