Aldi type places.

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
SteveClem
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Aldi type places.

Post by SteveClem »

Keep reading here and elsewhere how useful these places are for tools etc. Well, one opened near us recently. Went there today. Never again,what a dump.
palacebear
Minor Legend

Re: Aldi type places.

Post by palacebear »

I detest those shops, and the ones beginning with an 'L' too. A**i are good for chunky white chocolate bars with rice crispy pieces in them. :)
Advisor at Jobcentre suggested I avoid going for a job at the 'L' shop because they assume they own you body and soul 24/7 :o
1956 4-door called Max
amgrave
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by amgrave »

I'm not very keen on shopping there but I must admit the prices over-ride that feeling a little :wink:
The Air Impact Driver complete with sockets I got from there for £19.99 is an example.

dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

i love aldi if you just want the basics its great there good qualiaty steak is lovley
[sig]5641[/sig]
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

drills and sockets and toolsets are excellent for the price.
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Value and quality may be ok. Ambience is dreadful,staff rude...just dumped my stuff and walked out, along with others. And I'm Mr Tolerance. I can even see a positive side to Mr Corbyn if I try hard...
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Pay peanuts get simians !
MikeNash
Minor Addict

Post by MikeNash »

You surprise me, Steve. When I go for tools I'm rarely interested in the arrangements, lights or décor. The tool quality, price and support is what I want to know, and to date, the air compressors, air and electric tools I've bought from both Lidl and Aldi have worked well with no need to try out their 3 year warranty. Store ambience isn't what I seek - but each to his own, I suppose!
Regards, MikeN.
Morris Minor, the car of the future. One day they will all look like this!
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

You know Mike, you are absolutely right...but I'd rather go to Twiggs in Matlock,get expert advice,no unpleasant comments from snotty,spotty,youths and pay an extra couple of quid.
To be fair,I think they were having a bad day but you only have one chance to make a first impression.
I did enjoy the 'oldies ' rant in their car park afterwards!
AntB
Minor Fan

Post by AntB »

i don't post that often, but :lol: at someone from the north moaning about Aldi.

pop in when there's a sale on gravy, you'd love it ;)
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Belper..in the North? I don't think so. We're the most southerly town in the Pennines. Definitely Midlands!
Now we used to live in Northumberland, that's proper North :D
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

firedrake1942 wrote:Pay peanuts get simians !
As i understand it Aldi pay considerably better than normal market rate. Personally I've moved most of my custom to the fabulously well designed Lidl which has now opened near us. Friendly, helpful staff, and the Golden Goose beer at 89p a bottle is a real bargain. Pity my wife won't let me in more often, something to do with buying too many bargain tools......
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

I don't know what the current situation is with them but when Aldi/Lidl first came over here and didn't use bar code scanning checkouts, the staff were paid a considerable mark-up over standard supermarket staff as they were required to remember the prices.
The also don't have set roles, there's no division between Till Operator, Shelf Stacker or Supervisors/Manager, everyone mucks in as and where needed.
Basil the 1955 series II

SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

I suppose that some staff will always have a bad day from time to time, just unfortunate when you happen to be there at that moment.
alanworland
Minor Legend

Post by alanworland »

I regularly pop in both purely for the tools as I have had some good gear from them!

Alan
sid
Minor Fan

Post by sid »

brand new Aldi opened in a village near me this week.popped in as my friend likes the prices.'luckily',she is a blue badge holder as people were queuing up for the normal car spaces.plenty of geezers in there with grey tracky bottoms :roll: and wife-beater vests,and over-weight women bawling at their kids..but apart from that,all was well :D
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Where don't you get those types? I was a bit bemused, when you say luckily your friend was a blue badge holder! :o

SageGreenPete
Minor Fan

Post by SageGreenPete »

Our Aldi is great, nice staff many of whom have been there years which is usually a sign that they are fairly happy where retail is concerned.

Tbh even if they were rude the food is good and it's half the price of tescos so I'd still go there! :)
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

My local Aldi has periodic supply glitches and yesterday they had no milk. Visiting Waitrose was an interesting comparison, the veg looked fresher, the store was brighter lit and appeared to be swept more often. The staff seemed more polite and friendly, in Aldi they have to rush about like headless chickens. However the prices were a bit of a shock and despite a stroll around I wasn't tempted to buy anything other than the milk. I'd guess a full weeks shop there could cost 40-50 percent more.

I think on balance the cheapness at Aldi makes the very basic shop worthwhile, to say nothing of the tool aisle :D
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Pays your money and takes your choice :D