Our other hobbies and passions

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Rasputin
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: Our other hobbies and passions

Post by Rasputin »

I too have been doing my family history.My great grandfathers twin brother is buried in the same cemetery as Wyatt Earps sister :D
burnham28
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by burnham28 »

Have several hobbies not Morris minor related. Have restored two Austins a 1929 Austin seven Chummy and a 1928 Austin heavy 12/4 have had the chummy for 33 years and the 12/4 for 29 years. Used to own an 850cc Norton Commander until quite recently. Am also into stained glass and have a collection of about 400 Dinky toys.
Attachments
IMG_1013.JPG
IMG_1013.JPG (3.48 MiB) Viewed 4427 times
IMG_2509.JPG
IMG_2509.JPG (3.48 MiB) Viewed 4427 times
IMG_0244.JPG
IMG_0244.JPG (4.72 MiB) Viewed 4427 times
fullsizeoutput_148.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_148.jpeg (3.89 MiB) Viewed 4427 times
[img]jpg[/img]
Fingolfin
Minor Legend

Post by Fingolfin »

I'm writing a real behemoth of a novel at the moment. Does that count? :lol:

Apart from that and Mog, I enjoy video gaming, drawing, reading, road trips, being in nature, and so on. Normal introverted 25-year-old stuff.
The way to a man's heart may be making food, but the way to my heart is buying me car parts!
Come read about my Minor at An American Moggie.

SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Rasputin wrote:I too have been doing my family history.My great grandfathers twin brother is buried in the same cemetery as Wyatt Earps sister :D
Amazing what you come across,isn't it? We found a great great uncle, Ivor Clem, who survived being blown up on HMS Lion at the battle of Jutland. And some kind of snake oil salesman/self appointed doctor fighting for the Confederacy in the American civil war. I've got a namesake in Virginia,USA, who is probably descended from him.
It's all quite fascinating.
olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

@burnham28 that stained glass looks great, did you make it?, The vehicles are all great looks too, I did look into family history and found 1 or 2 "characters" :o , I collect a few choice diecast cars but sold my childhood cars to a guy who wanted all his collection back, i mainly had the matchbox from the early 70's all in boxed condition, it funded real car parts so i was happy enough.

sid
Minor Fan

Post by sid »

SteveClem wrote:
Rasputin wrote:I too have been doing my family history.My great grandfathers twin brother is buried in the same cemetery as Wyatt Earps sister :D
Amazing what you come across,isn't it? We found a great great uncle, Ivor Clem, who survived being blown up on HMS Lion at the battle of Jutland. And some kind of snake oil salesman/self appointed doctor fighting for the Confederacy in the American civil war. I've got a namesake in Virginia,USA, who is probably descended from him.
It's all quite fascinating.
i'd love to have an American Civil War soldier as an ancestor 8)
Nickol
Minor Addict

Post by Nickol »

i'd love to have an American Civil War soldier as an ancestor 8)[/quote]

I wouldn't. If i were a religous Person ( which i am definately not) I would get down on my bended knees every day and thank the good Lord that I was not Born or had anything to do with the USA. .......but that is my own psychological Problem.

Incidentally, up to the Setting up of the Entente cordiale in about 1890, British foreign policy was directed to the threat posed by its potential aggressors, namely France and USA.
Gott schütze mich vorm Sturm und Wind und Autos, die aus England sind.
download/file.php?id=4822[/sig]
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

It has to be said that none of us would be sitting in democratic countries today had it not been for the well intentioned cousins over the pond. I am no fan of American popular culture or hegemony but we all have our own lunatic fringes in our own countries. It is simply that in some of them (UK /US) today and Germany some 80 years ago, the lunatics have taken over the asylum
Nickol
Minor Addict

Post by Nickol »

You are so right ( right in the sense of being correct)

The tragedy , and indeed the challenge to our Society and how it functions, is that those bent on destroying our democratic "western" way of life, actually make use of the tolerance within it in order to give them free rein in pursueing their aims. They demand a tolerance for thier own intolerance, as a Spiegel Reporter put it.

The net result of the almost unprecedented violence in the 20th century has led to society's rejection of any warlike moves, despite the determined provocation.

And having an interest in such things is also a Passion of mine.
Gott schütze mich vorm Sturm und Wind und Autos, die aus England sind.
download/file.php?id=4822[/sig]
Rasputin
Minor Fan

Post by Rasputin »

My mother was born in Illinois U.S.A,and half of her ancestors came from Hannover Germany.On my fathers side they all came from England,at least back to 1750,so like most people I am a bit of a mongrel. :wink:
burnham28
Minor Fan

Post by burnham28 »

Thanks for the post olderisbetter. Yes I did make the stained glass obelisk I made a frame from 5mm copper pipe then attached brass came with lead inserts and built it up from there. Its about 5ft high and sits in my garden powered by solar lights at night. Don't know why the photo came out side ways. Have also done my bathroom window which is supposed to represent a yacht with a red sail. Have tried to show some of my collection of dinky toys. I have the boxes of the ones that were issued with them but all the early ones didn't have individual boxes but came in trade boxes to dealers usually six to a box. Sorry but all my photos are coming out on their side.
Attachments
IMG_0411.JPG
IMG_0411.JPG (3.74 MiB) Viewed 4402 times
IMG_0410.JPG
IMG_0410.JPG (3.79 MiB) Viewed 4402 times
IMG_2508.JPG
IMG_2508.JPG (3.99 MiB) Viewed 4402 times
IMG_2674.JPG
IMG_2674.JPG (3.22 MiB) Viewed 4402 times
[img]jpg[/img]
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

They look great.My dad used to have all of his childhood ones in boxes but some scrote of the non fixed domicile fraternity nicked them in a burglary.
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

firedrake1942 wrote:some scrote of the non fixed domicile fraternity
Would this be the fraternity that should belong to the caravan and camping club but doesn't?

Stained glass window is superb! :)
1956 4-door called Max
Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

Fingolfin wrote:I'm writing a real behemoth of a novel at the moment. Does that count? :lol:

Apart from that and Mog, I enjoy video gaming, drawing, reading, road trips, being in nature, and so on. Normal introverted 25-year-old stuff.
I used to be massively into video games - I now work at a studio making them and the Morris became the big hobby - I hardly touch games at home as a result. Seeing how the sausage is made and spending time analysing them ruins it for some. :)

The girlfriend loves old books, preferably 100 years old, as do I. Private Eye is a good chuckle every fortnight too, "normal" papers are too stressful (and depressing) to keep up with!
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

I think i could get into stained glass, I have made a few light boxes from old stained glass windows when new plastic windows have been fitted, It is normally the small openers at the top and i build a frame round with a light behind but i use the plastic layers out of an old flat screen TV to make a diffuser, Thats another hobby i have always loved to take things appart when they broke, Old CRT black and white tellys with the wood surrounds had such nice bits inside for a child, The TV chassis made a nice base to bolt meccano onto.

palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

We used to have a 'posh' tv when I was a kid. Wood-veneer cabinet with slatted shutters that slid sideways across the screen to 'hide' it when we had visitors (my mum used to have ideas somewhat above our social standing! :D )
1956 4-door called Max
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

And they were so expensive! Like several weeks wages...Dad agonised about getting one,then decided we'd go on the usual static caravan holiday to Ingoldmells instead.
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Very few bought in those days. We hired from a variety of places DER, Rediffusion, Rumbelows. I was 23 before we bought our first set.
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

SteveClem wrote:And they were so expensive! Like several weeks wages...
My parents economised in other ways. Holidays were really rare and cars were low priority. We had a '62 Hillman Super Minx from '67 until it was mauled by a rogue Fiat 124 sometime in 1980.
1956 4-door called Max
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

We had all those things kids today don't have - rickets ......