Our other hobbies and passions

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
olderisbetter
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Re: Our other hobbies and passions

Post by olderisbetter »

@ian.mcdougall, That is a fantastic piece of work and a great way to raise money for a worthy cause.

ian.mcdougall
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by ian.mcdougall »

Thanks
Don't get enough time at the lathe sometimes, tryng to get the lathes moved down to the workshop,as my wife is not keen on lots of shavings around the house. :oops:

firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

For a moment there I thought we were back in the Ginger Bush thread ! Its true tho my mother used to go ballistic as she trod on yet another piece of swarfe from my father's small loco model making lathe
Last edited by firedrake1942 on Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

Sometimes hobbies can make your loved ones a little annoyed my friend had an uncle that was into anything with Villiers engines and would often use the baths as a parts washing area, I wish i had some of those engines he owened, He used to carry a WW2 folding villiers motor bike in his boot incase he broke down, Nice man sadly gone.

BLOWNMM
Minor Fan

Post by BLOWNMM »

I find these posts pretty enlightening and a worthwhile variant to the usual run of the mill thread.
Bob
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

My late uncle was a radio Ham. The conservatory (more accurately a lean-to) of his west London home was crammed with the home-made radio equipment he used to remain in contact with a huge network of acquaintances made during Colonial Service postings to India, Sudan and many other places. Even in his mid-eighties, my uncle would regularly climb the 25 metre high mast in the back garden (perilously close to Heathrow) to maintain the red warning beacon at the top. My aunt was never impressed as the lean-to was supposed to be her space for cultivating tomato plants etc... In thirty years I never saw so much as a potted geranium there!
1956 4-door called Max
amgrave
Minor Addict

Post by amgrave »

Quote: "In thirty years I never saw so much as a potted geranium there!"
let alone a Ginger Bush :cry:

olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

@Palacebear, I love to listen in to the Ham radio locals, You get some very interesting chat going on, You can buy some very cheap walkie talkies to listen in with now, I think i got hooked after watching Tony Hancock as a child.

Smithy1961
Minor Fan

Post by Smithy1961 »

MY HOBBY IS RETORATION...

I have been a mechanic most of my life and restoring keeps my skills alive ..

I do mostly cars but now and then a motorcycle.
Ive been doing this Traveller since Sept last year .
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Restoring old furniture is good fun. Trouble is I've filled up most of my dry space with cars and when I've restored something I can't bear to part with it. So the house gets a bit cluttered. :-?
olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

@steveclem, That is a big problem i have with furniture i put time into it and then it ends up living with me, I love the Gplan stuff and 60's items i have never had much love for new furniture i feel an old couch or chair has more comfort a bit like old foot wear.

SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

The '60's stuff is really fashionable just now. G-plan,Ercol etc. And quite easy to refresh.
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

I like the sixties furniture and remember going to a friends house in about 1969 and his mum had a see through plastic chair hanging from the ceiling and a massive lava lamp.
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Friend of mine in London makes a very comfortable living buying/selling pre-owned vintage G-plan to the trendies in Camden, Greenwich etc.
1956 4-door called Max
GBond
Minor Fan

Post by GBond »

That wooden bike looks amazing! Also the steam engines, really intricate work.

Hadn't been to the forum in a while but it's nice to know it's still very active. I've just recently finished restoring this old BSA B31 and the VeloSolex:

And I also play piano, and video games.
Attachments
P1150921.jpg
P1150921.jpg (259.42 KiB) Viewed 4035 times
P1150918.jpg
P1150918.jpg (199.21 KiB) Viewed 4036 times
P1150913.jpg
P1150913.jpg (246.98 KiB) Viewed 4036 times
P1150909.jpg
P1150909.jpg (260.45 KiB) Viewed 4036 times
Gabriel
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

love the beezer, but the velocity soles brings back so many happy memories of France. They never really caught on here but over there they were the staple form of transport in towns and in the country. almost vanished now tho.
olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

@Gbond, Love the BSa and have seen the Velo, I used to seem these about but heavey fast traffic seems to have killed them off, I also play video games but i never really got past playstation1 and prefer the old mega drive as they are more of my age, Great to see people all over this planet are pretty much the same in they way they preserve and feel for thins of the past.

GBond
Minor Fan

Post by GBond »

Thanks!

Haven't gotten to use neither the BSA nor the Solex much yet, traffic around here isn't really well suited for either and I still have the paperwork issue to tackle on the BSA; plus it's the rainy season so even the Moggy has pretty much remained inside lately. VeloSolex does have a definitely French air to it as the BSA looks unmistakably British (their automotive equivalents would have to be a 2CV and a Morris).

Fixing old stuff is interesting, like a puzzle. There's the research into how something was assembled, what pieces are in it, what is missing and where/how to get it or make it if it's not available and then the actual work of taking it apart and putting it back together. Want to try and fix an old stereo now but I have no experience and no knowledge of electronics whatsoever...

On games the one that currently has me hooked is the new Zelda one, definitely recommend it if you like that style of game. Even my mother is playing it so I think you could probably handle it :P

This has been a very interesting thread, hope more people respond.
Gabriel
olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

I have played many quest games i have Zelda on NES from arounf the 80's, I have not quite caught up with the WiiU which i think the current game is on, I have most of my early cartridge games stashed away in safe keeping and i play most on a Raspberry Pi with an emulator, The younger people laugh at the graphics but get hooked on the games very fast, As i have a few spare megadrive consoles i have modded them over the years to play PAL and NTSC and run a bit faster,
Can you believe some one would goto all the trouble of making an old thing run better than when it was new :lol:

GBond
Minor Fan

Post by GBond »

I started on NES and even "restored" my old console a few months ago; emulators are fine for most games but there's a tiny almost imperceptible lag between a button press and a response that is not there on the original console. Newest system from Nintendo now is called the Switch, fun part is they've gone back to cartridges now but they're about the size of an SD card.
The power new consoles have opens up a lot of doors for programmers with respect to graphics especially, but as you say what matters most is the game and many 80's and 90's games are great even if their graphics are by now dated. Any similarities with cars are purely coincidental :)
Gabriel