Our other hobbies and passions

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
olderisbetter
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Re: Our other hobbies and passions

Post by olderisbetter »

I knew it was a set aimed at budget end, I have been picking up pieces for years, A few people have said it had gone up in valve, I have a feeling i have a tea pot,coffee pot and cups and saucers and a few red plates, Hilarious to think friends used to think i was odd for collecting it lol

palacebear
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by palacebear »

Just had a look at Ridgeway Homemaker on eBay. Six black/white cups & saucers...asking price £85. Black/white coffee pot...asking price £250 :o
1956 4-door called Max
olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

That is shocking, i know i picked up quite a few cup and saucers with odd coloured cups aswell i think red yellow and green cups, I need to get in the loft and turn my front room into a shop :lol:

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Just because you were odd to collect it, doesn't mean it wouldn't pay off, as you now find! :D
Odd can be just different!

palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

olderisbetter wrote:I need to get in the loft and turn my front room into a shop :lol:
A shop??? Can I sub-let some floor space to flog off some of these bakelite clocks. I've got so many that I'm concerned for my sanity! :lol:
1956 4-door called Max
olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

@Palacebear, I love those clocks with the teak looking wooden parts on metal rods surrounding the clock face, I still keep my dads old clock on display as he used it for years to get up for work, But lst year my sister gave me a battery clock from the early 70s which is grey and black i think made by Seiko, It goes well with my old display stuff.

palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

I know just the type you mean. My sister has one on her mantelpiece. It's transistorised, using a 'C' battery. It used to belong to my parents and in the late 1960's it was in the 'best room'.

Two of my weekend loft finds, both Bakelite mantle clocks with 240 volt electric movements, have now been cleaned and brought back to life.
DSCF2503.JPG
DSCF2503.JPG (70.22 KiB) Viewed 3685 times
DSCF2501.JPG
DSCF2501.JPG (99.81 KiB) Viewed 3685 times
The third of the loft-finds is a wall-clock; another Bakelite-cased 240 volt electric model. It's looking nice and clean but it's still in intensive care at the present.
1956 4-door called Max
olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

@Palacebear, Those are great clocks i have a green and black one like your all white one, Yes the clock i have takes a C cell and it says Lorus on the front not Seiko as i thoughy, Maybe i have another one made by Seiko? Here it is parked nicely between some of my smaller 60's west german pottery.

palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Lorus is an alarm clock by the look. My parents had a virtually identical one by Westclox. Went on for years! Like the colours on the vase, right of photo.
btw @ olderisbetter: the two large white wall clocks are up and running again with new quartz movements and new hands :)
1956 4-door called Max
olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

@Palacebear, I love the red pottery piece and that kind of colour, I have a bright yellow one almost the same with the "fat lava" effect, Great to know those bits have been given a new life i saved them from my sister when she was on a clear up.

StillGotMy1stCar
Minor Fan

Post by StillGotMy1stCar »

While we are on the subject of clocks, OK this isn’t Bakelite.
My better half bought this a few years ago not working missing hands, glass and a broken bezel.
The mechanism was very worn, gives a fare indication of use from the winder hole.
After a bit of work and with the addition of a Radio Controlled Mechanism it tells the time again.
I added fake winders in the holes as it just looks wrong without them.
The only other thing I will do someday is add a square drive and pin to the minute hand to finish the authentic look.
It’s been running for two years and I've never seen it reset the time or changed the battery.
The mechanism is really good made by Acctim comes with gold hands which I sprayed black.
Before anybody does it, radio controlled mechanisms won’t work in a Series II glove box as all the metal will shield the radio signal, would be nice to be proved wrong though, I did once listen to a radio in a shipping container!

Regards John
Attachments
Clock.jpg
Clock.jpg (302.17 KiB) Viewed 3627 times
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

It looks nicely authentic :)
1956 4-door called Max
StillGotMy1stCar
Minor Fan

Thanks Palacebear, took other half about 3 months or more to notice I got it working.
Love a clock that’s always the correct time.
I guess your mains clocks are also accurate as well as looking great.
Regards John
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Probably a bit of OCD but I don't like having inaccurate or non-working clocks around the place! Mains clocks always accurate as governed by the 50hz domestic supply. Seldom need to touch them except at BST/GMT changeovers. They do very occasionally stop for no reason... usually indicating the need for de-fluffing and lubricating!
1956 4-door called Max
StillGotMy1stCar
Minor Fan

I’ve never had a clock with a synchronous motor (apart from timers) but my digital radio alarm clock 1982 vintage uses mains frequency as the clock counter and is always accurate. Bizarrely where I used to live if we ever had a power cut the power would always come back on at zero seconds, happened too many times to be coincidence, so I only ever had to set minutes and hour to be accurate to the second. Think it was something to do with being on the same supply as Bristol Airport.
Regards John.