Ginger bush

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
TDV102
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Re: Ginger bush

Post by TDV102 »

For the indoor enthusiast the Mother-in-laws tongue is usually easily available.
Good home offered for custom splittie
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

That poses a whole new set of ethical, moral and probably legal dilemmas, esp if you are caught tending it too closely! (so I am informed !!!)
burnham28
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by burnham28 »

I'm told that Mother in laws tongue can be very acidic and if placed between a ginger bush and a purple morning glory will almost certainly prevent cross pollination.
[img]jpg[/img]
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Nature will always find a way however!
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Virgin Thistle has much the same effect. Attempts at plucking are not recommended.
toulky
Minor Friendly

Post by toulky »

Kniphofia 'Nobilis' (Red hot Poker) will be a good companion to the Ginger bush and possibly introduce some blushing !
TDV102
Minor Addict

Post by TDV102 »

Calceolaria herbeohybrida (Lady's Purse) is often seen with the Ginger Bush. It's delicate and should be kept moist.
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Family Jewels Milkweed., Ginger Bush and Lady's Purse all in the same bed, suitably tended in full sunlight would be a sight to behold - and probably result in prosecution.....
LobbyLudd
Minor Fan

Post by LobbyLudd »

MIMOSA PUDICA would appear to share similar conditions favoured by the Ginger Bush (sheltered,enclosed 'warm moist spaces) a perrenial herb of the Pea family.
Commonly known as 'Sensitive Plant' or 'Touch Me Not Plant' - Pudica -from the latin Shy, Bashful or Shrinking.
Mimosa Pudica is often grown for it's curiosity value and is well known as one of a very few genus members ability to perform 'rapid plant movement' of its compound leaflets.
In Brief, rapid drooping occurs after stimulation' such as touching, warming,blowing or shaking. This stimulus is transmitted as an 'action potential' from a stimulated leaflet ,to the leaflets swollen base (the Pulvinus as described horticulturaly) and from then on very rapidly to the 'Pulvini' of the other leaflets in turn.
Difference in turgidity in different regions of the leaflets and stem create this spectacular rapid wilting and droop, with genus Mimosa Pudica being unusual and not usually seen in general within the majority of normally very 'slow moving' members within horticulture.
The plant however returns to its normal strength and vigour within an hour.
'69 4 door saloon, traf: blue.

'LIFE'- is what happens when you are busy planning other things. John Lennon
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Which at my age is more than I can manage although the ginger bushes of which I have knowledge seem ready to bloom, and open up much more quickly....
palacebear
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by palacebear »

I've found the suggestions here very interesting. Having enjoyed the single life for over three decades, my horticultural experiences have consisted mainly of random poking around in the bushes that thrive in the communal open spaces round the back of my batchelor pad. However, with re-marriage and the prospect of a house and garden of my own now drawing closer, it's been interesting picking up tips on how to nurture shrubbery over which I will have some responsibility. I can only hope that my Brazilian bride will appreciate my efforts and adapt to my clumsy but well-meaning attempts where domestic bushes are concerned.
1956 4-door called Max
TDV102
Minor Addict

Post by TDV102 »

Lovely day today, I was outside cutting the grass while my wife trimmed her Box. Garden now looks splendid.
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

So no more flossing then !
TDV102
Minor Addict

Post by TDV102 »

Been quiet in the garden. Sprayed my Box to keep the flies off it
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Good move in this heat! Moisture and fertiliser are also a good idea but beware of excessive moistening. Too much stimulation can lead to unintended consequences and subsequent wilting / detumescence. Avoidance of direct sunlight will make the Ginger Bush much happier and it performs much better in partial shade. Over-trimming at this time of year can be detrimental.
Last edited by firedrake1942 on Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
amgrave
Minor Addict

Post by amgrave »

I have several box on the go and they are all out the front. One, since trimming has stayed nice and tidy but the others have become a bit scraggy and will need trimming again soon, any ideas on the reason for this. The only thing I can think of is the others are a bit more rampant than the nice tidy one which just happens to be more in sight than the others.

TDV102
Minor Addict

Post by TDV102 »

Autumn must be here, my morning glory has wilted.
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

It happens to the best of us! Full sunlight and public appreciation can often combat wilt. Equally too much exposure can cause extreme wilting and detumescence
toulky
Minor Friendly

Post by toulky »

firedrake1942 wrote:It happens to the best of us! Full sunlight and public appreciation can often combat wilt. Equally too much exposure can cause extreme wilting and detumescence
Hmmm "detumescence" will have to look that up ! :wink:
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

down rather than up