TV advertising

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
palacebear
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

TV advertising

Post by palacebear »

Am I missing something, or is the current tv commercial with the 'pyjama mamas' for the new Vauxhall (Crossland?) both pointless and extremely irritating?? :(
1956 4-door called Max
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Re: TV advertising

Post by SteveClem »

We've not seen a TV advert in years. We record everything that takes our fancy,play it back at our convenience and edit any advertising out.
Mind you,I used to enjoy the old Hamlet cigar adverts back in the '70's. And the Rossiter/ Joan Collins martini ads were really funny too!
Like cars, they don't make them like they used to.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

palacebear wrote:Am I missing something, or is the current tv commercial with the 'pyjama mamas' for the new Vauxhall (Crossland?) both pointless and extremely irritating?? :(
Is not all current TV advertising pointless and extremely irritating? That's one of the reasons I gave up a TV many years ago - God knows how puerile it all is now............the world we live in huh? Its all about money and nothing else matters - environment, tranquility, truth, morality, fairness etc. All swept aside in a slavering pursuit of the Money God :evil:
Sorry, rant over! :roll:
amgrave
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by amgrave »

My wife and I have turned it into a game, to try and guess what the advert is for before the end of it. Trouble is we can't always guess what the ad is for even after it has finished. We are guessing the lead question about the advert is you get a pair of pyjamas with every car :roll:

firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

I often wonder at the mindset of the people who commission the adverts and whether they are more or less culpable than the creative genius (es) who come up with the drivel I see on telly. If its not pseudo science, it is an overpaid, cretinous, simpering celebrity smearing yoghurt on her nose. Some of it is less about immediate selling than brand awareness but frankly I would rather have my eyes plucked out with curling tongs than buy many of these 'must have products'.
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

I like watching the 60,s ads on youtube :) > why is it that voice overs are nearly always done by a hand full of actors
olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

Modern adverts are all about guilt trips and naking people feel they need to get into more debt than the neighbours, I use Tivo to cut all the adverts out and it seems there are more adverts per hour than before, But remember the classics.. Don Amott king of caravans and West midlands safari park they used to drive my dad insane.

TDV102
Minor Addict

Post by TDV102 »

Bad adverts - not a new thing...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7bGzlth_6s
Good home offered for custom splittie
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Hmm.. Shackletons chairs of Batley. No longer a household name. Perhaps because older people no longer sit as vertically? I blame it on the shortage of whalebone corsets.
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

The Oak Furniture Land ad really bugs me. Oak trees are magnificent, hard wood and they grow slowly. Britain's oak forests have never really recovered from the Napoleonic wars, when oak was desperately needed to build warships. Cutting them down for something as mundane as furniture appals me.
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

It might be oak, but it is almost certainly not British and not seasoned either. It shrinks and warps like billy oh in an average home environment
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

If its unseasoned, shrinks and warps hopefully its use will go out of fashion, the sooner the better.
olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

I think the one advert that has burned into my mind is... Do the shake and vac :roll:

palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

At least it was clear what the product was and its purpose. There was a TV programme a couple of years ago, looking back on the history of TV advertising. The Shake'n'Vac lady was interviewed. She didn't consider it her finest hour! :lol:
1956 4-door called Max
Smithy1961
Minor Fan

Post by Smithy1961 »

TDV102
Minor Addict

Post by TDV102 »

Sadly that convertible appears to no longer be around.

Here's another classic - is Metz still around?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TUOPeNJCK8
Good home offered for custom splittie