In the future will Britain export anything very much special ?

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
firedrake1942
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: In the future will Britain export anything very much special ?

Post by firedrake1942 »

And the stoics were Greek perhaps we should not mention them either! Stoicism is fine in the face of that which cannot be changed, The realist schools would suggest that the stiff upper lip perpetuates the rule of the oligarchs who manipulate the lower orders for their own benefit. Marx wrote that religion is the opiate of the masses. In our day it is Satellite TV, sky sports, sky news and the rest of Murdoch's lying machinery. If it is wrong, it should be resisted and changed.
TDV102
Minor Addict

Post by TDV102 »

On the subject of Philosophers...

Immanuel Kant was a real p*ssant
Who was very rarely stable.
Heidegger, Heidegger was a boozy beggar
Who could think you under the table.

David Hume could out-consume
Schopenhauer and Hegel,

And Wittgenstein was a beery swine
Who was just as schloshed as Schlegel.

There's nothing Nietzche couldn't teach ya
'Bout the raising of the wrist.
Socrates, himself, was permanently p*ssed.

John Stuart Mill, of his own free will,
On half a pint of shandy was particularly ill.

Plato, they say, could stick it away--
Half a crate of whiskey every day.

Aristotle, Aristotle was a begger for the bottle.
Hobbes was fond of his dram,

And Ren Descartes was a drunken fart.
'I drink, therefore I am.'

Yes, Socrates, himself, is particularly missed,
A lovely little thinker,
But a b****r when he's p*ssed.

Courtesy of Mr M Python
Good home offered for custom splittie
SteveClem
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by SteveClem »

Brilliant, never seen the full version!
My first girlfriend had a philosophy PhD. She talked a load of claptrap but had other more interesting attributes.
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

firedrake1942 wrote:And the stoics were Greek perhaps we should not mention them either! Stoicism is fine in the face of that which cannot be changed, The realist schools would suggest that the stiff upper lip perpetuates the rule of the oligarchs who manipulate the lower orders for their own benefit. Marx wrote that religion is the opiate of the masses. In our day it is Satellite TV, sky sports, sky news and the rest of Murdoch's lying machinery. If it is wrong, it should be resisted and changed.
Can't blame the Swedes
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
LobbyLudd
Minor Fan

Post by LobbyLudd »

This is beginning to appear ominous - no one as yet has said we have anything 'very much special' so far at all to export, if this forum is in any shape or form to be indicative of the wider population at large ??, (and trying to slightly steer back to the original post question)

Apparently the old red British GPO telephone boxes are in great demand in other countries . Demand is exceeding supply latest reports suggest and stocks are rapidly dwindling of the few genuine originals. The Chinese will be no doubt be making copies (Don't know if the design is registered, if not another lost export opportunity for the repro cast metal market here at home )

Also ' British Pedigree Bull Semen' is another of our successful export commodities and apparently they cannot get enough of it in a great many other countries overseas, (note, produced specifically within and for use in the world agricultural industry )
'69 4 door saloon, traf: blue.

'LIFE'- is what happens when you are busy planning other things. John Lennon
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

firedrake1942 wrote:That was Descartes!
I know that too!

POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Don't forget, we have the northern powerhouse, should be able to export Costa coffee & Subway rolls....
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
TDV102
Minor Addict

Post by TDV102 »

Don't forget, we have the northern powerhouse
And it was a darn sight more powerful before Thatcher!
Who built the rigs. supertankers, trains, made steel, built bridges and fuelled the country! All gone.
Good home offered for custom splittie
Nickol
Minor Addict

Post by Nickol »

I found this Report on existing British exports.

http://www.worldstopexports.com/united- ... p-exports/

Of particular interest is the figure of well over half of all exports to other european nations which presumably, is now in danger. Even if it is not, one has to ask the question as to why jeapodise it in the first place by opting out? Also of interest in comparing figures is that France exports more than UK as does, surprisingly the Netherlands. Italy, surposedly the sick man, is only slightly behind UK exports in Terms of value.
Gott schütze mich vorm Sturm und Wind und Autos, die aus England sind.
download/file.php?id=4822[/sig]
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Nickel, spot on. We will actually be exporting quite a lot - Financial services - moving to Dublin or Frankfurt, Manufacturing, Nurses, Doctors, key workers etc etc. Still, we can expand the betting shops, service economy, brothels, and build yet more gated communities in an increasing divided nation, As someone once said ' For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath.'

You are like many of my French and German friends in countries who have committed fully to the European project, with all its faults - it is still, in historical terms a very young venture - who are utterly baffled by the insular attitude of a fundamentally European state and partner which has turned into the petulant, screaming child of Europe.

As I observed at the beginning of the so called 'Arab Spring' which supposedly arose from the expression of the 'will of the people', 'Be careful what you wish for....' result; dictatorship, greater oppression, terrorism, massive refugee crises and resultant shift to the intolerant right and global instability whilst superpowers sit and pick over the bones of once cultured peoples.

Ho Hum !
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

I take a rather more optimistic view. The British are a fundamentally decent and hardworking people.
Your nightmarish vision sounds like Dante's Inferno. What sort of cheese have you been eating? :-?
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

There are still plenty of really worthwhile activities which will keep the UK economy going. Estate agents, money lenders, public relations consultants....
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

After a democratic decision, I thought any anger and bitterness might subside. Wow, how wrong I was to think that! :roll:

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

You are like many of my French and German friends in countries who have committed fully to the European project, with all its faults - it is still, in historical terms a very young venture - who are utterly baffled by the insular attitude of a fundamentally European state and partner which has turned into the petulant, screaming child of Europe.

As I observed at the beginning of the so called 'Arab Spring' which supposedly arose from the expression of the 'will of the people', 'Be careful what you wish for....' result; dictatorship, greater oppression, terrorism, massive refugee crises and resultant shift to the intolerant right and global instability whilst superpowers sit and pick over the bones of once cultured peoples.

Ho Hum !
Well I was going to leave this, accepting that we have different views and that, to paraphrase another poster, my mind was made up (just as yours is), not closed but that seemed a small point and not worth bothering with.

However, as with all the Remain camp, you just don't get that its over do you.

You describe us as the 'petulant, screaming child of Europe' yet its the Remain camp that keep going on and on and on, like a child having a tantrum because it can't get its own way.

When will you learn that we are simply not afraid of the EU and all its bureaucrats and never were, that is why we always stood up for ourselves, much to the EU's annoyance.
You are right, we will not 'be told' nor will we blindly obey the dictates of Brussels. We have spent the last forty odd years watching the ever greedier for power politicians in Brussels, erode our rights and freedoms, well no more. We do not share your dream of a European superstate, subservient to the will of Brussels.

Therein lies the road to eventual dictatorship, not in us taking our country back.

But typically for the liberal left, you Remainers just won't accept an outcome that doesn't fit in with your view of how things must be. You insist that we must be told what to do and think 'for our own good' of course. And if anyone dares show the slightest signs of free will, let alone disagree with these ideals, then they must be an extremist of one sort or another.
The will of the people must be suppressed, as they are too stupid or ignorant to have an intelligent thought of their own.
Conform or be cast out.

You have chosen to live in Lyon and hope to smugly watch the UK fall apart and then return on its knees begging to be let back into the club, like I suspect the rest of the EU club secretly does.

Well, you may find we have more of a will to survive than you give us credit for, there is a whole world out there for us to trade, freely, with and we will reinvent ourselves and find a way.

Winston Churchill expressed it very well in the house of commons in 1953:
" We have our own dream and our own task. We are with Europe but not of it. We are linked but not combined. We are interested and associated but not absorbed. If Britain must choose between Europe and the open sea, she must always choose the open sea."

Best wishes,
Mike.

1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
amgrave
Minor Addict

Post by amgrave »

Well said Mike.

midget
Minor Fan

Post by midget »

Couldn't agree more with you jagnut. Vote for, donate to and support UKIP.
Last edited by midget on Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Not waving but drowning ....
amgrave
Minor Addict

Post by amgrave »

Nah, being surrounded by sea we can swim :wink: :lol: :lol:

firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Hmmm.
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

well as far as i'm concerned the views of anyone who has already migrated ,should be igrored,they have made their views clear when they left these shores , the sooner we are out of the eu and take control of the borders the better,my grand children are due to go to secondary school in sept, They can't get into the nearest school,but have to take a bus ride to the next . Nothing to do with finance, there are the just same number of teachers as there always were ,the area is just swamped with immigrants,as mike says why don't all you remoaners just get over it and stop ,were out and the sooner or later ,the better. I think the Mods should close this thread now its a motoring not a political forum,and soon insults will start to appear .