Favourite countries in Europe

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
SteveClem
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Favourite countries in Europe

Post by SteveClem »

Off to do a WW1 trenches tour next week in Picardy. Seemed important as it's 100yrs since the end of the Great War and I've got ancestors to pay my respects to. Really pleased that they are also taking us to the German cemeteries and trenches.
Apparently the hotel is good on chips and mayonnaise....
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Irrespective of chips and mayo, that must be a great trip to make, especially if ancestry takes you there too.

I'm unsure why but the soon-to-be Mrs PB (mixed Glaswegian/Staffordshire ancestry) had expressed a wish to visit the sites and remains of the former Nazi extermination camps in Poland.
1956 4-door called Max
Nickol
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by Nickol »

SteveClem wrote:Off to do a WW1 trenches tour next week in Picardy. Seemed important as it's 100yrs since the end of the Great War and I've got ancestors to pay my respects to. Really pleased that they are also taking us to the German cemeteries and trenches.
Apparently the hotel is good on chips and mayonnaise....
Excellent idea! When travelling now and again in northern France and Belgium , perhaps on the way to the english Ferry, if you know where, it is somewhat comforting to know as you Speed along that 100years later, there is no hindrance to your movement any more. However no visible sign either that the trench warfare ever took place.
I may go and look around Verdun later this year in the Morris if I get the chance. Probably the decisive battle of the western front where so many People died. Very sobering.
Gott schütze mich vorm Sturm und Wind und Autos, die aus England sind.
download/file.php?id=4822[/sig]
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Great trip. Long days but learned so much.
All those young men....