Amber beacon

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Amber beacon

Post by geoberni »

After I broke down a week ago on the A1, part blocking the inside lane since there was no hard shoulder, I decided to check out the possibility of an emergency hazard beacon. Although Basil has 4 Way Flashers installed, the size of old classic 50's rear lights are not exactly worthwhile as 'hazard beacons'.

I brought one of these on Fleabay and it arrived just in time for my latest breakdown. :cry:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Amber-24LED- ... Sw0JFbYcER

Although I asked for an AMBER one, they sent an AMBER/WHITE. I'm still waiting for a response to my complaint about that, but come the day, both the 2 Police officers who attended and the RAC Recovery guy were very impressed that I had a really bright beacon for breakdown use and that it had only cost £12; the Coppers even saying they liked the Amber/White alternative flashing as it really stood out.

One of them did think at first that I used it all the time as a slow vehicle, because he asked how strong the magnets were! :D :D
But I explained that normally when moving, I could do 50mph. :wink:
Basil the 1955 series II

biomed32uk
Minor Addict

Re: Amber beacon

Post by biomed32uk »

I have very similar and they are an excellent idea.

It's why I also have a high level brake light in the bottom of the rear window, not very period but the Minors lights are so low and small compared to todays machines, if it prevents someone rear ending me that's a good thing on my count.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

That beacon should have a button to change from all white, all amber, or 50/50. Perhaps it's just got confused. Certainly a very good idea, as are high level brake lights and also high intensity rear fog. Period is fine, but when using the cars on a daily basis, then safety is essential. I followed a semaphore equipped car on Sunday, and even knowing where to look for the arms, they were't that clear. I doubt that the average driver of modern vehicles would even have seen them.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

simmitc wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:45 pm That beacon should have a button to change from all white, all amber, or 50/50. Perhaps it's just got confused.
They've tried telling me that, well actually they tried telling me the On/Off Mode switch on the 12v plug changed the colour... :roll: this one is actually built with White/Amber LEDs in different positions, you can see them clearly through the cover.
20180925_131158.jpg
20180925_131158.jpg (540.12 KiB) Viewed 1358 times
Even the box for it was marked as Amber/White
:roll:
20180922_181800.jpg
20180922_181800.jpg (306.44 KiB) Viewed 1358 times
Basil the 1955 series II

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

geoberni wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:03 pm Although I asked for an AMBER one, they sent an AMBER/WHITE. I'm still waiting for a response to my complaint about that, but come the day, both the 2 Police officers who attended and the RAC Recovery guy were very impressed that I had a really bright beacon for breakdown use and that it had only cost £12; the Coppers even saying they liked the Amber/White alternative flashing as it really stood out.
After a few days of ebay messages, the seller's agreed to a £3 partial refund and me keeping the beacon, so that's a bit of a result.
If only they'd got their page right to start with, there wouldn't've been a problem (umm... can you double apostrophe a word liker that ) :wink:
Basil the 1955 series II