Strange advert....

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Strange advert....

Post by geoberni »

Stumbled across this advert this evening.
Does anyone know this car? Allegedly "very well known on the show scene," to quote the advert.....
Listed as 1954, DVLA have the first reg as 1954, but it's not got a split screen......

https://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show ... r%2Bengine

So it's had a lot of work done, but if they've gone as far as changing the windscreen (presumably the body shell), is any of it actually the car that belonged to that registration number :-? ... ??

I await being educated as to why it's not a splittie.... :wink:
Basil the 1955 series II

TDV102
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Re: Strange advert....

Post by TDV102 »

It's had a replacement engine and bodyshell...Basically a ringer
Trigger's broom anyone?
Good home offered for custom splittie
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

TDV102 wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:03 pm It's had a replacement engine and bodyshell...Basically a ringer
Trigger's broom anyone?
:D :D
My thought too....
How the heck do they get away with it. But I guess someone will buy it.
I'm always reminded of the old Johnny Cash Song - One Piece At A Time....
Basil the 1955 series II

irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Probably a later saloon converted and then bought an original saloon log book to con the less informed new owner :evil:
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Presumably the VIN / Chassis plate is 1954...? 😉
1956 4-door called Max
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Lot more photos of it on the " Why not get in touch with Used Car Co to request more…" link

http://www.paulwhittlecarsales.co.uk/de ... 7cyOPZReUk

To my novice eye, everything about it is a highly modified latter car. I think the only thing on it that dates from the 1950s will be the Morris Plate under the bonnet. :evil:
Basil the 1955 series II

palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Looks like the handbrake lever might be an early one...
1956 4-door called Max
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

palacebear wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:14 pm Looks like the handbrake lever might be an early one...
I'll give you that one PB, the handbrake lever does look exactly like Basil's... :wink:
What's annoying is that there is nowhere on the DVLA website to be able to report a 'fake' such as this. There's lots of links for specific issues, but nothing like 'Report a Ringer'.
This could well be someone's convertible stolen years ago; Pimped a bit, paired up with the manufacturer's plate from an abandoned rusted hulk, and seemingly nothing that can be done about it. :evil:
Basil the 1955 series II

firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

I think it is a trick of the light , making it look gold as the front image of the HB looks the same as mine. This is an obvious ringer that has fooled the DVLA - identity of an older car transferred onto a more modern version. There is nothing of a 1954 car either pre or post face lift in this one... That said I do quite like the tyre in the boot lid. Must trap quite a lot of water though.

There is a 'report inaccuracy' button for the car sales website ....but a huge hole in the DVLA processes as you cannot tell then on line about a dod car. That said, they probably wouldn't action it anyway and police have no resources to do so.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

And yet today I see a Tweet from Northants Road Policing that they pulled a fancy expensive Range Rover, because the Reg No was older than the vehicle.... clearly very similar situation... :roll:
RPU Twitter.JPG
RPU Twitter.JPG (65.52 KiB) Viewed 2947 times
Basil the 1955 series II

ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

I certainly can't see anything "early" about the handbrake. It looks like a completely standard Minor 1000 one to me. I agree the car is a complete ringer.

Good that SOME cops have some idea of what car is actually what :) Lots of later Land Rovers run around on earlier IDs to take advantage of free road tax etc.
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

We used to be sent on auto crime courses - how to decode the chassis / engine no's / decode the kite mark on glass etc - location of chassis no. on different makes - much easier now there is a bar code. Not a priority any more and traffic officers numbers have been slashed - hence the rising accident rate and appalling driving you see - low likelihood of getting caught. Even when you report something to police you have to jump through so many hoops there is clear intent to deter and dissuade.
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

It is perhaps understandable that the police would pay more attention to a possibly stolen new Range Rover than the origins of components in a custom project Minor.
viewsonic1
Minor Fan

Post by viewsonic1 »

Ultra rare Minor that isn't road tax free, despite being over sixty years old.?!
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

viewsonic1 wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:09 am Ultra rare Minor that isn't road tax free, despite being over sixty years old.?!
You can't trust the data those websites throw up. They even put a disclaimer

"Please note: We have endeavoured to ensure that the information presented above is as accurate as possible but errors may occur. The information detailed above relates to the usual specification of the most recent model of this particular vehicle. It may not be the exact data for this vehicle and specifications for older models could possibly vary slightly. Therefore we advise you to contact us to confirm the exact specification of this vehicle."
Which even then is wrong, since any Minor would be pre '78 so liable for registration as Historic vehicle taxation class.
Basil the 1955 series II