Modern Morris Minor ?

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
JHarley
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Modern Morris Minor ?

Post by JHarley »

Recently I saw David Brown Automotive's 'Mini Remastered' and BMW's Electric Original Mini. Modernising the original Mini is something that is done a lot these days, but no one ever seems to do it for the Minor ?, maybe one day I will try and build a modernized Moggy. How would you upgrade and modernise the Minor ?

Regards,

Joe
The Moggy Minor will stand with dignity for all time :D, I'm in Northampton, UK.

The proud owner of Alan, a 1966 Trafalgar Blue Traveller.
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Re: Modern Morris Minor ?

Post by Murrayminor »

Joe

Have a look here:

http://londonelectriccars.com/
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor
JHarley
Minor Fan

Post by JHarley »

Murrayminor wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:13 am Joe

Have a look here:

Hi Dermot,

Thanks for the link, when the time comes I will eventually convert my car to electric, to be honest
Issigonis' design with the economics of the electric car is just what we need nower days.

Regards,

Joe :)
The Moggy Minor will stand with dignity for all time :D, I'm in Northampton, UK.

Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

JHarley wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:15 pm

Have a look here:

Hi Dermot,

Thanks for the link, when the time comes I will eventually convert my car to electric, to be honest
Issigonis' design with the economics of the electric car is just what we need nower days.

Regards,

I agree to an extent, but I think the range needs to be increased somewhat.
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor
JHarley
Minor Fan

Post by JHarley »

Murrayminor wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:53 pm
JHarley wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:15 pm

Have a look here:

Hi Dermot,

Regards,

I agree to an extent, but I think the range needs to be increased somewhat.
I agree, I have a family member who owns a BMW i3, it's ok for her as she never does long journeys, I however have to and the range on that car just isn't enough, but as technology advances I suppose the range on those cars will improve, I also think that the infrastructure needs improving, there aren't enough charging points at this time, a few more, along motorways for example, would be such an improvement.

Yours,

Joe

Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

We mustn't fall into the trap of assuming that if you remove the exhaust, there is no pollution. Over complication, fashion/ and vanity (In my view the most popular "Hobby") have meant that even cycling isn't the "Green" pastime that it was and could be.

The batteries, used in electric vehicles, are far from environmentally friendly and I have heard it said that there aren't sufficient of the raw materials needed to make them, to provide batteries for all the cars in the world. The need to renew them, after only a few years, makes matters worse. As to charging points on motorways, I think they'll need to offer bed and breakfast to the drivers.

I can accept that large cities are smog ridden but perhaps the cities are too big and populations are too concentrated in one place? It seems to me that many of the environmental initiatives are simply paying lip service, at the margins of the problem and that they don't get to the heart of the matter. As an example, the photo shows the scene above the Brecon Beacons National Park, in May of this year. This is not out of the ordinary. None of the aircraft, who made those trails, will be doing 50mpg!! Whether by car, train or plane, too many people are being moved too far, too often. Unless we can cut down on that, resources will run out. You could also say that the world is over populated and that we need to look at the sizes of family. However, I think any freely elected government (If there really is such a thing), who introduced ration cards, for energy consumption or tried to limit the sizes of families, would be committing political suicide. I think that many will only be "Green" so long as it doesn't cramp their style or inconvenience them too much. In his sketch "Wild Man of the Woods", the late Tony Hancock is asked why he is going back to nature on Clapham Common. He answers "So I'll be near the shops" and I think that about sums it up today.

I think that by simply preserving our old vehicles, we are maximising the return on the resources used the create them and that is far more important than exhaust emissions. However I accept that there aren't enough Morris Minors, Issigonis Minis or Triumph Heralds etc to go around. However, I think that simplicity is key to longevity in cars. I also think that the average motorist is ignorant of what it takes to make a car last a long time, though when you consider that beyond being a means of transport, many cars are status symbols and that newness is a key ingredient to status, how many of them would want to know anyway? How many would rather leave the "SUV" on the drive, where the neighbours can see it, rather than put it away in the garage?

In the longer term, it may be that the majority of cars will become electrically powered. You could power a classic car with avgas (I can't see piston engine aircraft becoming electrically powered) or with methanol (Though the latter would be more problematic). However availability of fuel could become an issue and to that end (Whilst there is no need for me to convert my low use cars, especially when their engines are all in good order, with many miles left in them), I could accept an electric Minor is better than no Minor and the recycled nature of the beast still leaves it way ahead of the Tesla or any other placebo vehicle.
Attachments
14 5 19.JPG
14 5 19.JPG (86.18 KiB) Viewed 1803 times
JHarley
Minor Fan

Post by JHarley »

Blaketon wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:25 pm We mustn't fall into the trap of assuming that if you remove the exhaust, there is no pollution. Over complication, fashion/ and vanity (In my view the most popular "Hobby") have meant that even cycling isn't the "Green" pastime that it was and could be.

The batteries, used in electric vehicles, are far from environmentally friendly and I have heard it said that there aren't sufficient of the raw materials needed to make them, to provide batteries for all the cars in the world. The need to renew them, after only a few years, makes matters worse. As to charging points on motorways, I think they'll need to offer bed and breakfast to the drivers.

I can accept that large cities are smog ridden but perhaps the cities are too big and populations are too concentrated in one place? It seems to me that many of the environmental initiatives are simply paying lip service, at the margins of the problem and that they don't get to the heart of the matter. As an example, the photo shows the scene above the Brecon Beacons National Park, in May of this year. This is not out of the ordinary. None of the aircraft, who made those trails, will be doing 50mpg!! Whether by car, train or plane, too many people are being moved too far, too often. Unless we can cut down on that, resources will run out. You could also say that the world is over populated and that we need to look at the sizes of family. However, I think any freely elected government (If there really is such a thing), who introduced ration cards, for energy consumption or tried to limit the sizes of families, would be committing political suicide. I think that many will only be "Green" so long as it doesn't cramp their style or inconvenience them too much. In his sketch "Wild Man of the Woods", the late Tony Hancock is asked why he is going back to nature on Clapham Common. He answers "So I'll be near the shops" and I think that about sums it up today.

I think that by simply preserving our old vehicles, we are maximising the return on the resources used the create them and that is far more important than exhaust emissions. However I accept that there aren't enough Morris Minors, Issigonis Minis or Triumph Heralds etc to go around. However, I think that simplicity is key to longevity in cars. I also think that the average motorist is ignorant of what it takes to make a car last a long time, though when you consider that beyond being a means of transport, many cars are status symbols and that newness is a key ingredient to status, how many of them would want to know anyway? How many would rather leave the "SUV" on the drive, where the neighbours can see it, rather than put it away in the garage?

In the longer term, it may be that the majority of cars will become electrically powered. You could power a classic car with avgas (I can't see piston engine aircraft becoming electrically powered) or with methanol (Though the latter would be more problematic). However availability of fuel could become an issue and to that end (Whilst there is no need for me to convert my low use cars, especially when their engines are all in good order, with many miles left in them), I could accept an electric Minor is better than no Minor and the recycled nature of the beast still leaves it way ahead of the Tesla or any other placebo vehicle.
You've clearly outlined a great argument, that honestly didn't occur to me but I totally agree, I also can't see aircraft going electric, I'm personally not a big fan of the electric car, but it's going to take over eventually, it's inevitable but as you said, an electric Minor is better than no Minor at all, these cars aren't supposed to sit in glass cases, they were built to be driven and I hope they can be preserved, I don't think many people know electric cars are completely zero emmisons, I often forget, as I did just then, but I think people need to be told about this

Regards,

Joe

Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

There are loads of things that create pollution and use up resources. I cannot claim to know whether climate change is caused by greenhouse gases (There have been greater changes long before there was industrialisation) but like anything else, resources take far less time to consume (Destroy) than create. They have to be conserved. The clothing fashion industry has a colossally bad effect on this but the appetite for it is insatiable and I think the powers that be would be afraid to suggest more making doing and mending.

There is an in depth article, on the question of preserving old cars, at https://www.morrisminor.org.uk/userfile ... ership.pdf . Whilst I am the first to point out, that not all the work done by the place in question, is what it should be, I have to concede and give credit for what was a forward thinking piece of work in 1982. It was said that a house is a long term asset and why can't a car be the same (Well I have owned my MG Midget for 35 years and I hope I still own in another 35 years)?

Oddly enough, my parents just had a repair done on their chimney. The house was built some time between 1815 and 1856 (May have been done in stages; we are not sure) and the stone stack in question was moved from a redundant chimney, to where it is, in 1984. It just needed some new pots and a bit of flashing repair this time (And since I have lot on, not least at my place and access is awkward, we got builders in). Anyway the builder was saying about lots of modern houses and how they aren't really meant to last more than 70 years. A plumber has told me about plastic water pipes and rubber joints and how they become brittle/perish. Clearly if the house isn't meant to last that long, does it matter about the plumbing? It seems a daft way to go about things, as what is such a house going to be worth in forty years? With mortgage terms getting longer, what will you have at the end of it? Anyway, the point is, one assumption, on which Mr Wares theories were based, now seems to be giving way to the throw way society :roll: .
JHarley
Minor Fan

Post by JHarley »

Blaketon wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:01 pm There are loads of things that create pollution and use up resources. I cannot claim to know whether climate change is caused by greenhouse gases (There have been greater changes long before there was industrialisation) but like anything else, resources take far less time to consume (Destroy) than create. They have to be conserved. The clothing fashion industry has a colossally bad effect on this but the appetite for it is insatiable and I think the powers that be would be afraid to suggest more making doing and mending.

There is an in depth article, on the question of preserving old cars, at https://www.morrisminor.org.uk/userfile ... ership.pdf . Whilst I am the first to point out, that not all the work done by the place in question, is what it should be, I have to concede and give credit for what was a forward thinking piece of work in 1982. It was said that a house is a long term asset and why can't a car be the same (Well I have owned my MG Midget for 35 years and I hope I still own in another 35 years)?

Oddly enough, my parents just had a repair done on their chimney. The house was built some time between 1815 and 1856 (May have been done in stages; we are not sure) and the stone stack in question was moved from a redundant chimney, to where it is, in 1984. It just needed some new pots and a bit of flashing repair this time (And since I have lot on, not least at my place and access is awkward, we got builders in). Anyway the builder was saying about lots of modern houses and how they aren't really meant to last more than 70 years. A plumber has told me about plastic water pipes and rubber joints and how they become brittle/perish. Clearly if the house isn't meant to last that long, does it matter about the plumbing? It seems a daft way to go about things, as what is such a house going to be worth in forty years? With mortgage terms getting longer, what will you have at the end of it? Anyway, the point is, one assumption, on which Mr Wares theories were based, now seems to be giving way to the throw way society :roll: .
I've always known about the Durable Car Ownership and it's what we need now more than ever, again you've outlined a great argument and you've really thought about it, that's all from me.

Joe