Bojo the Cloan

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Bojo the Cloan

Post by jagnut66 »

Whatever side one voted for, I don’t get the above sentence, It’s been voted on. End of story, it’s just a matter of time. Unless, of course, you dump democracy. Would anyone actually do that ? Is that even possible?
Just look at what's going on in London / in Parliament, it's full of Remainers determined to dictate to the rest of the country, whether we like it or not.
I don't think they would give a jot as to what it would say about our 'democracy', as long as they get their way.
This should have been done and dusted by now, they are actually dividing the country more and more by continually dragging this out.
Mind you, I think they are quite happy to do that as well.
I think it's disgraceful.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Banned User
Minor Fan

Post by Banned User »

That’s one of the problems with referendums. You elect a body of people to make decisions for you, then you have a vote which takes one of the decisions out of their hands, but you still want them to make the decisions around that. Ergo, referendums are a bad idea.
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

POMMReg wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:06 pm Anyone else notice chemists having "problems" with medicine suppliers?

My latest prescription was of a cheaper brand.
My prescription runs to eight different items. Five are tablets for which I get a 56-day supply of each. Three are eye drops. They have a short shelf-life and I only get a 28-day supply of each.

One of the tablets was substituted, without warning, by a cheaper brand about three years ago. Performs just as well as the original but has some, occasionally unwelcome, side effects.

One of the three types of eye drops is often out of stock at the pharmacy counter and frequently 'out if stock at supplier', a situation which has been pretty constant for the past two years or so.

Incidentally, I've been following this thread since it started. I don't by any means disapprove of its political over-tones. I simply lack the confidence in my abilities to contribute to it coherently and dispassionately.
1956 4-door called Max
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Ergo, referendums are a bad idea.
I don't think referendums are necessarily a bad idea.
However they are based of the principle of proportional representation, a truly fair and democratic system.
Our electorial system is not, it is based on the 'first past the post' system, an archaic and out of touch system, that should have no place in a modern democracy.
Hence why you can end up with a minority dictating to the majority.
As for a second referendum, why?? Because the side our Parliament wanted to win, lost!?!
How can that or any result from it be seriously considered binding??
And what if the country ends up voting to leave again??………………..

Also the EU will never offer us a deal they seriously think we'll take so long as they think the Remainers in London / Westmister can frustrate Brexit long enough to stop it happening.
This is why Boris should stand his ground and refuse to ask for an extension.
And why I will vote for Brexit again and again and again if necessary.
And why, so long as he sticks to his guns, I will be voting for him in the next election, whenever the gutless opposition parties decide to chance allowing the general population of this country to have one.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

5th May 2011 there was another referendum to decide whether to change form "first pqast the post" to an alternative voting system. The country decided that we should stick with what we have. Strangely, none of those in Westminster had any objection to implementing that result. :-?

Pedant alert :roll: The plural of referendum is referenda,, but I don't want any more for a very long time.
Banned User
Minor Fan

Post by Banned User »

simmitc wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:10 pmPedant alert :roll: The plural of referendum is referenda,, but I don't want any more for a very long time.
I’ll be sure to tell the Oxford English Dictionary people that they’re wrong...
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

I think most people are just fed up with the whole malarkey and want to get on with their lives.
The people voted leave, rightly or wrongly,and it could be years before we know. Parliament seems to be intent on remaining.
I suspect that when the next election comes there could be some real surprises.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Well I can think of one previous PM that I’m pretty sure wouldn’t have tolerated this, despite what the vegetables might have said !
Like them or not, agree with them or not, strong leaders get results, of course, having a majority helps!

dp
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by dp »

One interesting thing that's come out of this is the old 'we have an unwritten constitution' chestnut.

If it's not written it doesn't exist just like my unwritten homework or referring to an unwritten dictionary. This puts power with the small number of people who get to interpret this invisible tome without interference from the plebs who think there's a real constitution. Like the medicine man interpreting the chicken bones.
twincamman
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by twincamman »

dp wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:45 pm One interesting thing that's come out of this is the old 'we have an unwritten constitution' chestnut.

If it's not written it doesn't exist just like my unwritten homework or referring to an unwritten dictionary. This puts power with the small number of people who get to interpret this invisible tome without interference from the plebs who think there's a real constitution. Like the medicine man interpreting the chicken bones.
You've just hit the nail on the head. This country needs a WRITTEN constitution, for everyone's sake.
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

twincamman wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:11 am
dp wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:45 pm You've just hit the nail on the head. This country needs a WRITTEN constitution, for everyone's sake.
Doesn't seem to be much point if, as now seems increasingly likely, we're to remain in the EU anyway.
Banned User
Minor Fan

Post by Banned User »

As a remainer I really do hope that we leave. Then I can continue to point and laugh at the leavers who will have to find something else to blame for their sad lives :lol:
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

Attaboy! :D
Boo! Hiss! :(
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

PoolGuy wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:43 pm As a remainer I really do hope that we leave. Then I can continue to point and laugh at the leavers who will have to find something else to blame for their sad lives :lol:
——— I put my sad life down to seeing democracy being opposed. Whatever side had won, I would get on with it.

SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

I really hope this doesn’t lead to social unrest,riots etc. The country is split down the middle on this and whichever way it pans out there are going to be millions of very cross people. :(
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

We can only hope not, I think it will mainly depend on the degree of disruption to trade and supplies. The choice seems to be between controlled borders, a backstop or remaining in the customs union. All of these have their objectors but I really don’t see another alternative.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

As a remainer I really do hope that we leave. Then I can continue to point and laugh at the leavers who will have to find something else to blame for their sad lives :lol:
As an unrepentant Brexiteer I hope we leave also.
I firmly believe this country is better off out and for those who love the EU so much, please go and live there with our blessings, it will solve the UK housing shortage straight away, without the need to plough up any more of our precious greenbelt.
As to sad little lives, if the day dawns that we are finally free of the shackles of the EU, I for one will be all smiles and cheer!
Best wishes,
Mike.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

I posted previously that this cannot re-run the debate, and it will not be allowed to descend into insults. It has run its course and is now locked.
Let's have tolerance and enjoy our cars and the friendship that they engender. Thanks