Bojo the Cloan

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
POMMReg
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Bojo the Cloan

Post by POMMReg »

Surprised there's been NO mention of Boris thus far?
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
ianmack
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Bojo the Cloan

Post by ianmack »

That’s because we come here for a little island of sanity in a mad world.
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

So far as I am aware, politics is banned. I don't see any harm in discussing items that concern us as classic car owners BUT we have to be careful that this doesn't spill over into other, more general areas.

I am hoping that we can go to 2 April 2020, before we have an election (Tall order I think), as by then my MG Midget will be an historic vehicle, rather than an old banger (In the eyes of the law). This will mean that road tax will be free and hopefully this status will afford it protection against so called anti banger legislation. Other than that, a lot of the time it seems to be a choice between a rock and a hard place BUT I would add that it's up to all of us to make a go of the future, not just the politicians. However I take the point about those, who lead us, should set an example.
Banned User
Minor Fan

Post by Banned User »

Boris has set an example...
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

PoolGuy wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:13 pm Boris has set an example...
An example to reply, WITHOUT providing a detailed answer....easy to SAY things IF you're fantastically wealthy & whatever happens - with the mayhem Brexit will cause - isn't going to effect YOU!!
Banned User
Minor Fan

Post by Banned User »

It was meant to be sarcastic, I didn’t say he’d set a good example.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

A good example to some would be to come down hard on law breakers, a good example to others would be to let them off.

POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

PoolGuy wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:26 pm It was meant to be sarcastic, I didn’t say he’d set a good example.
I know Mr.P.
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

I somehow don't know that he is going to be there for a long time and suspect he is being lined up for a fall, on the basis that the higher you climb, the harder you fall. I AM NOT MAKING A COMMENT ON THE VIRTUES OR OTHERWISE OF BREXIT, which is a very contentious issue. However, I don't think it was ever intended that it should happen. I think plan A was a remain vote and plan B was to make such a mess of "Trying to leave", that when we ended up staying, most people would be too fed up to care and would just shrug and say "Thank God that's over". It will cost the Conservatives the next election but come the one after that, I think they hope to have put Europe well and truly to bed (And the Brexiteers all out to pasture in UKIP etc). I suspect that the Leave people have put up a stiffer fight than was expected and that the cross party, pro Europe vested interests have now allowed them enough rope to hang themselves. If Brexit doesn't happen this time, I can't see much appetite for another go at it for a very long time and to that extent plan B will have served it's purpose (If we have voted remain, I think in another ten years, there might have been another vote). Sorry if that sounds cynical. I was not a regular watcher of Question Time but I recall making a point to watch it when Sir Jackie Stewart (Someone who I think has a very good head on him, despite having to contend with dyslexia) was a guest. I can't recall what the first question was but it was about politics and Sir Jackie gave the first (Excellent) answer. In essence he said that politics is largely a matter of perception, rather than substance and in this case, the Brexit process will be seen in a bad light if it is called off. Until a few months ago, I was certain it would we called off, as part of the plan. I think there is still a good chance it will be BUT I think all involved are now skating on wafer thin ice. I'm sure a lot of bluff is involved and I would never make a good poker player....when I say something I mean it!!
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Get out before France throw us out
Nickol
Minor Addict

Post by Nickol »

I, like many others on the mainland, were dismayed at the original vote in June 2016, alarmed at the British Governments hard line Approach to what Brexit should mean but then somewhat perplexed at the reaction of the British Parliament to the Agreement as negotiated and agreed. But Mr Bercow was very entertaining.

Now after a lot of thought, not having UK in the EU could have many Advantages for the remaining 27 member states, but only could. UK was often a stumbling block to new developments and reforms to the EU and in every treaty in the past Lisbon, Maastrict, etc the UK wanted and got their exceptions. It is probably better that UK is not a part of the EU in the Long run for its interests are solely economic and sad to say that it seems very likely (to me anyway) that after the Brexit, the gradual US Americanisation of the UK I have been observing for a Long time, will continue.

BoJo is just a small step in this direction. I have seen it quoted that he does not care about the Brexit outcome one way or the other. All he cares about is being in power of the previously 5th largest economy in the world, which is now the 7th.
Gott schütze mich vorm Sturm und Wind und Autos, die aus England sind.
download/file.php?id=4822[/sig]
dp
Minor Legend

Post by dp »

A smart German friend of mine involved in German politics & looking from outside saw a different angle to this and asked the question,

"So what happens after you stay or leave?"

"What do you mean?"

"Well whether you stay or leave approximately half of the country will feel angry & disenfranchised for a long time".

To contrast, in a normal election, after 5 years the losers get to have another go so put their energy into that; they work harder, reflect on what they got wrong, perhaps change their leader and try again . With Brexit, the losing half will not have an outlet since there (probably) won't be a brexit/remain vote every 5 years.

Those that rule us tried the impossible of doing something that could be sold to the remainers as BRINO (BRexit In Name Only) and to the leavers as true independence. People aren't that stupid and so everyone feels cheated.

If there was 10% for something and 90% against, politicians could dismiss the 10% with spin and fudge. But with a 50:50 split it's a dangerous time.

The Americanization idea is an interesting one.

On a lighter note:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVYqB0uTKlE
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

A democratic society may not suit everyone but that’s what we’ve got ! :D

Banned User
Minor Fan

Post by Banned User »

dp wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:49 am
"Well whether you stay or leave approximately half of the country will feel angry & disenfranchised for a long time".
I don’t agree. I voted to stay, but like a lot of people I believe in democracy and I’ll carry on making the best of things.

These days the leavers seem more upset than the so called remoaners, maybe it’s because they always have to find someone else to blame for their life choices?
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

———or maybe it’s because they’re fed up waiting. :D

Banned User
Minor Fan

Post by Banned User »

les wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:29 am ———or maybe it’s because they’re fed up waiting. :D
Serves them right for voting for something so daft :lol:
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

I always say that where politics (Or money) and fact conflict, politics prevails.

Whilst I could see opportunities in Brexit, if properly handed, they could take ten or twenty years to come to fruition and I never heard anyone talk in such terms. The fact that no serious preparations were made, following the leave vote and the fact that a remainer took over as PM, only confirmed my suspicion that plan B was to ensure the leaving process failed and to make the public wary of ever going down that road again (Perhaps in 50 or more years, the truth will come out). Now I think were are blinded in a fog of bluff, from both sides and that both sides are skating on very thin ice.

Sadly, remain or leave, I think we are going down the pan and I feel sorry for those younger than me or for those who have children. I hope I can see out my days, before it get's too pear shaped but I really wouldn't want to be 21 again. At least my old cars are a permanent reminder of better days and a point of sanity in a mad world.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

At least you’re optimistic about the planet surviving, when you mention a fifty year projection !

twincamman
Minor Fan

Post by twincamman »

The best analogy I heard about the whole debacle was this:-

The Government asked the country if it fancied a night out. 52% said yes without knowing the destination.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

You often find they’re the best nights out ! :D Christopher Columbus didn’t know where he was going either, but it worked out in the end.