Registration numbers in Film/TV

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Registration numbers in Film/TV

Post by geoberni »

Mrs is currently watching the new Mary Poppins film on DVD with a couple of our Grandkids. It's set in the 1930s Depression era.

Passing the lounge, I caught sight of a registration number on one of the old trucks in the scene that was on and thought, ummm, just for a laugh I'll check it out on the DVLA site....
Seems it's a live number still, currently assigned to a 2010 2ltr VW :lol: :lol:
Basil the 1955 series II

Murrayminor
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Registration numbers in Film/TV

Post by Murrayminor »

A friend of mine owned the Austin Big 7 used in the 1970's movie "It shouldn't happen to a vet".
When I was looking for a classic car he offered me the Austin 7 for £6000 or £4000 without the registration number.
I had to really argue the case the number shouldn't be separated from the vehicle, after all it had been in place since the 1930's.
He eventually agreed and the price was dropped to £5000 including the original number plate.
I had gotten hold of my Morris Minor by then so I declined to buy it.

It was sold recently for £5000 or so on E-bay, but the good news (or is it) is that it will be interred into the James Herriot Museum.
At least the registration number should stay with it, unless the owner decides to keep the number and display the car anyway.
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor