Salt

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
SteveClem
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Salt

Post by SteveClem »

Well,it’s not good for old cars when they put it on the road.
But salted nuts just don’t taste right since the nanny state started cutting the salt down. Thank goodness that we can still add it. Salt and shake nuts, perfect with a nice cold beer. :D
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Salt

Post by philthehill »

Salt is bad for the cars and too much salt is bad for you also.

https://www.healthdirect.gov.au/salt-facts

ampwhu
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by ampwhu »

i nearly always eat peanuts whilst consuming ale. last night were cashews, my favourite.

these days ive started buying unsalted nuts due to too much salt being not good for you. what it does is make you drink more as your throat dries. this will be why they used to put salty products on the bar counters years ago on a sunday lunchtime.

also I stopped driving my classics years ago in the colder months as mentioned, salt v metal isn't good and there's only one winner there. until march/april, its maintenance on the classics for me. I much prefer the heated leather seats and climate control of my modern VW these days at my age!
smithskids
Minor Addict

Post by smithskids »

I spent a lot of my life down ships and power station engine rooms and without salt or salt tablets you die!!
mobylette
Minor Fan

Post by mobylette »

Nothing wrong with salt, too much water (substitute any other food item) can kill you. :roll:
Banned User
Minor Fan

Post by Banned User »

Everything in moderation and you’ll be fine.
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

smithskids wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:29 pm I spent a lot of my life down ships and power station engine rooms and without salt or salt tablets you die!!
Yes, as a student in the early ‘70’s I worked summer holidays in an iron foundry. A really hot place. We had big jars of salt tablets and a cold water drinking fountain. It was good money, but I don’t think anyone would put up with it these days. One of my jobs was carrying baskets full of limestone up metal steps to tip into the cupola...we carried them on our heads.
When they tapped the cupola it got really hot,lots of molten iron,that would sometimes behave unpredictably. Once saw a chap get a bootfull of it. He wasn’t wearing the recommended gaiters so didn’t get any compensation for losing his foot.
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Salt is one of the worst things to cause heart disease
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

PoolGuy wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:05 pm Everything in moderation and you’ll be fine.
Yes, quite so.

I enjoy salted peanuts and dry roast but it tends to be a Christmas thing. I think if you have too much of anything, it can get routine and cease to become a treat. However, the odd pint of real beer and a bag of nuts is very enjoyable, especially if you have a good classic car paper or Minor Matters to read.

Driving has become a case in point. As I cycle to work and have plenty to do besides, I don't drive that often. However when I do, it's always for pleasure and as I pick my times, pick my routes and pick dry days (Another reason why I don't drive a lot), I really enjoy going out in the car.
alanworland
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by alanworland »

My Dad was always eating salted peanuts, he was known for it!
One Christmas at a loss to know what to get him we discovered you could get large bags of KP peanuts (7kg!) he loved them and they lasted a while.
He passed away a few years ago but from a dodgy heart.

Alan