Cheap winter car

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Cheap winter car

Post by Admin »

irmscher wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:11 am The trouble with a Land rover is the more you use it the more it rots and breaks after owning five I have vowed never again . :lol:
Nothing more versatile than a decent Landy - I'd never have sold my 300TDi CSW because it was just so flippin' useful. Could take ALL my foster kids, and some of my mates', for a days green-laning with eleven seats, hose it down inside and out when I got home, fill it full of hedge trimmings and take it down the tip without falling foul of the council jobsworths who wouldn't let commercials in, tow anything at all including small trucks out of snowdrifts... All at 25mpg give or take. And then some mouth-breathers stole it from outside the house to use in a ram-raid trying to nick a cashpoint machine and ripped the rear axle out from underneath it - could have cried when I went to the police pound to get my odds out afterwards :cry:
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Sorry to have kicked this off, it wasn’t my intention. And I promise not to bully anyone on the road. It’s a very small 4x4! :cry:
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Sorry to have kicked this off, it wasn’t my intention.
You have nothing to apologise for, you merely started a (heated) debate about these vehicles.
Going back to the original subject, another point raised was the price you paid, £4500 does seem a little expensive for something you term as a banger.......
I would expect a nearly new car for that price, or does that just show how far behind the times I am??
I say that because if you read Danny Hopkins ventures into 'Bangernomics' in Practical Classics, which started as a way of working up to a Riley Pathfinder, he only seems to spend a few hundred quid on each one, then sometimes a few hundred more on bringing it back up to a standard (but not always), before using it for a while then selling it on for a bit of a profit.
And my Polo only cost me £375 a couple of years back.......
I worry that you might actually see a loss having spent that much on a modern (banger?), which, by their very nature, will carry on dropping until they reach a certain age, if an electrical failure doesn't write it off first, given how quick insurance companies are to do that these days.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

A winter beater is a good idea, there are loads of interesting old cars out there you can run over winter, saving your good ones, and still enjoy classic motoring. Over the years I've had a Lada Samara 1500, Talbot Solara 1.6 GLS, Morris Oxford Series IV all steel Traveller. Never spent more than £1000 on one, sometime under 500 and sold them on afterwards.
TDV102
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by TDV102 »

I've had 7 years out of a 2002 Focus 2 litre. Still under 40K on it, and all for £2500. Bangernomics rules

I do tend to agree about some large SUVs, never encountered an Audi Q7 driver with good road sense or manners, and they always park badly
Good home offered for custom splittie
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Try a 90,s Mitsubishi Shogun fantastic 4x4 and unbreakable
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Mike (jagnut) will, no doubt be delighted to know that I have sold the Tiguan and replaced it with a similar car, high seating position etc,that What Car rated as the most fuel efficient petrol car they have ever tested in a real world situation.
Can you guess what it is Mike? :D
Didn’t lose a penny on the VW :D
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

SteveClem wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:55 pm Mike (jagnut) will, no doubt be delighted to know that I have sold the Tiguan and replaced it with a similar car, high seating position etc,that What Car rated as the most fuel efficient petrol car they have ever tested in a real world situation.
Can you guess what it is Mike? :D
Didn’t lose a penny on the VW :D
I think I know the car, and to be honest I had a 4x4 from the same company and it was the most reliable car we ever owned.
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

I just stick with my Minor - winter and summer, although she's not often out in the wet. Though to be fair I also use my bicycle and the train as I find them both handy.
kennatt
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by kennatt »

changing the car size,but similar driver attitude has anyone else noticed how many times you are overtaken,in restricted areas by fiat 500 drivers,they seem to want to prove a point all the time.Worse in 6omph limit areas.They come flying past overtaking three or four cars. then hold the traffic up on the first long incline(Arbarth models excepted)Noticed young girls are the worst offenders.Or is it just me.
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

I may get hung out to dry on this one, but I see many cars on the roads travelling way in excess of the speed limit, sometimes almost motorway speeds in 30mph limits and the drivers are 25-35 females in big SUV's like Audi Q7, BMW X5 or the main culprit is usually a pimped up Range Rover sport trying to look modern when in reality its knackered.
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

That will soon be a thing of the past as new cars are to have speed limit recognition technology which doesn't allow the car to travel over the signposted limits. It's already near impossible to travel anywhere near the signposted limit anyway.