Porting Tools?

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Monty-4
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Porting Tools?

Post by Monty-4 »

When building my Minor's engine a couple of years ago I got a bit carried away and tried my hand at porting an twin HS2 inlet manifold to Vizard spec, plus making some simple modifications to the carbs such as locktiting in shortened brass butterfly screws and experimenting with different stub stacks.

I fancy having a go at this again as it was thoroughly enjoyable. I wonder if anybody could recommend some tools for actually taking metal out of cylinder heads, manifolds & carbs, plus knife-edging butterflies properly?
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
pgp001
Minor Addict

Re: Porting Tools?

Post by pgp001 »

Hi

I have just done mine using one of these in a die grinder, it worked very efficiently at removing metal from ports etc and leaves a fairly good finish if you take it steady.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/392519269046 ... 2519269046

Phil
Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

That was quick Phil! Many minds turning to their hobbies on this bank holiday? :)

That and some hand files and wet-and-dry do the job then? Have you invested in any cleaning tools like ultra-sonic and vapour blasting kits?
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Riffler files
pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

Monty-4 wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:32 pm That and some hand files and wet-and-dry do the job then? Have you invested in any cleaning tools like ultra-sonic and vapour blasting kits?
I am chief design engineer at a company that manufactures ultrasonic cleaning tanks and blasting equipment, so that has its perks. :D

Phil
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Are the ultrasonic tanks any good that are sold on Ebay ??
StillGotMy1stCar
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by StillGotMy1stCar »

My experience of fleabay ultrasonic cleaners from China wasn’t good.
It blew its driver transistors big time the second time I used it.
I replaced the transistors and diodes for better types and replaced the remains of the soldered in 15Amp fuse with a proper fuse holder and 1 Amp fuse and had to rewind the oscillator transformer, it then ran nicely for just over a year of very light use before deciding to stop oscillating. Didn’t blow up this time and I expect rewinding the transformer would get it going again but I haven’t bothered as it is a poor design or not made for 240V.
The Stainless steel case and tank is very nice though, looks very professional, shame it is no good.
I guess Phil would say the bin is the best place for mine?
Regards John
pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

I have to be fairly careful about what I say, but in general and as with most things you get what you pay for.

I use a tank of known quality, and it has performed without fault for many years now. But they don't come cheap.

Phil