Euphemisms

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ianmack
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Euphemisms

Post by ianmack »

I worked in Dover years ago and foreign drivers on the wrong side were a common sight. This was before the cliff flyover was built and all the traffic went through the town. Fortunately they couldn’t go fast there and seeing the other traffic soon put them right. Even so a juggernaut on the wrong side of the road is a pretty alarming sight. There was a stretch of dual carriageway where they couldn’t cross over even when they realised they were on the wrong side.

Much as I sympathise with the bereaved parents this sort of disorientation is common and I don’t think it really justifies global extradition except perhaps if there are aggravating circumstances such as drink, drugs, racing etc.
Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

ianmack wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:29 am I worked in Dover years ago and foreign drivers on the wrong side were a common sight. This was before the cliff flyover was built and all the traffic went through the town. Fortunately they couldn’t go fast there and seeing the other traffic soon put them right. Even so a juggernaut on the wrong side of the road is a pretty alarming sight. There was a stretch of dual carriageway where they couldn’t cross over even when they realised they were on the wrong side.

Much as I sympathise with the bereaved parents this sort of disorientation is common and I don’t think it really justifies global extradition except perhaps if there are aggravating circumstances such as drink, drugs, racing etc.
You DON'T agree that she should be extradited back here to face the court action she sneaked out of the country to avoid? Wow! Just... wow...
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

As far as I am aware this was an honest mistake which can carry a custodial sentance but usually does not. Should all people involved in road accidents or possible offences be prevented from leaving the country?
Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

But if you really want absolutes, then Yes.
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

I suspect there is more at work here than her being the spouse of an 'intelligence officer'.
She may also be a spook in her own right.
Somebody decided she needed 'extraction', just like in all the best Movie plots.
Look how difficult it has been for the media to get hold of any photograph of Anne Sacoolas other than an old B&W image that looked like it was from High School.
I firmly believe she should be brought back for trial; given the UK Justice system, she'd probably only get a suspended sentence given the circumstances.
My point is the vilification of the Base and it's personnel.
The mother was on TV this morning saying the USA doesn't have narrow roads like the UK.
She has clearly never been to the original 13 British colonies i.e. East Coast States, where there are plenty of UK style lanes because many of the towns originated in the 1700s.

Instead of hyping up bad feeling towards the personnel and the families living there, how about a review of the driving licence requirements for US personnel and their families?
Towards the end of my time in the RAF I spent 3 years in Nevada. The rules were that I could drive on my UK licence because I was on a NATO Visa to the US; my wife however, although on the same Visa type, had to get a US Driving License.
Apparently, for some 50 years, it hadn't been the case, but someone had then looked at the small print and discovered that it wasn't clearly laid out in the NATO agreement so Spouses were to obtain a local license after all.
In fact, most of us even though not mandatory for the 'uniformed person', got a local license as it was good to have a US ID document.
Basil the 1955 series II

ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

Admin wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:00 pm https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

But if you really want absolutes, then Yes.
I do not accept for one moment that this is a straw man argument. There are vast numbers of road crashes around the world every day and the principle of extradition for those accused of motoring offences carries very serious implications for anyone involved.

Given that much of the world has lower judicial standards than the UK it could rebound badly on British drivers for a start.
Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

ianmack wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:27 pm Should all people involved in road accidents or possible offences be prevented from leaving the country?
... is a strawman argument - I did not suggest that all involved in road accidents shouldn't be able to leave, I suggested that Sacoolas shouldn't have been allowed to.

I would also suggest that the vilification in the press of US base personnel is, while lamentable, solely the responsibility of the US judiciary and/or Sacoolas herself rather than of the Dunn family, who I support using any tools at their disposal to bring attention on the miscarriage of justice that is currently preventing them getting justice for their son. If the reverse had occurred, you can be flipping guaranteed that the responsible party would be packed off to the US forthwith, failing which the Orwellian phrase 'extraordinary rendition', more accurately known as kidnapping, would be back incommon parlance :oops:
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

‘Sacoolas shouldnt have been allowed to leave’ The law doesn’t work like that. It operates in terms of general principles, not individuals.
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

I should add that the last time I drove abroad, I had a big red arrow on the dash, pointing right as I left Caen, which I reversed when I got back to Portsmouth a week later!!
Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

ianmack wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:13 pm ‘Sacoolas shouldnt have been allowed to leave’ The law doesn’t work like that. It operates in terms of general principles, not individuals.
To be honest, you could have stopped your sentence four words after the quote... :roll:
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

I imagine,if she’s a half decent person, that she is probably suffering anyway. But she should come back and face the music,voluntarily. Tragic for all involved.
Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

To go full circle and return to the original post about 'smart' (cobblers) motorways, even our MP's are now admitting the All Lane Running motorways are monstrously dangerous and should be rolled back to their previous state immediately https://bbc.in/3avUGOm

(and just a quick clarification, since one of our members has called into question whether or not club officials should be 'allowed' to have opinions, my comments in this thread are mine only and do not reflect 'club' policy)
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

and just a quick clarification, since one of our members has called into question whether or not club officials should be 'allowed' to have opinions
Everyone is entitled to have an opinion, whether others agree with it or not.
If they disagree they can then state their opinion and so on...……. that's how freedom of speech works.
And it was still a free country the last time I looked.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Post by Sleeper »

" that's how freedom of speech works.
And it was still a free country the last time I looked. "

How long ago did you last look ?

John ;-)
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

As Voltaire may or may not have said I disagree with what you say but I still defend your right to say it.
Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

Far from paying any attention to the increasing voice against 'smart' motorways, or reading the petitions calling for them to be returned to conventional motorway, the Highways Agency are actually looking to increase them

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bris ... ic-3786640
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Post by Sleeper »

" with the hard shoulder often being opened up to traffic in the event of congestion. "

or in the case or Manchester , all of the time.

John ;-)
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

At the end of the day there is nothing the public can do its left to the powers that be :evil:
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

Apparently there is a petition to scrap these (In my opinion) dumb motorways - http://chng.it/86gcnb6JpC .
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Ah, that wonderful petition site that encourages you to send money and share your details. Much more effective is to use the Government petition site, which, if sufficient signatures are received, could lead to a debate in the House of Commons. https://www.gov.uk/petition-government.
There have been three previous petitions, but each got less than 2,000 supporters. However, that was a while ago, before the current publicity; so it may be that now is the time to start a new one.