EDT treatment

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ndevans
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

EDT treatment

Post by ndevans »

Just had the modern, a 2005 Micra 1500 diesel, serviced at the local independent garage.
For the 2nd time, they offered me EDT treatment, £99. For those who don't know, this is a power engine flush that claims to rid the engine of contaminants. I said no.

What's the hive mind view on this stuff? My view is that it's unnecessary, as regular oil changes with detergent based oil should do exactly that. The only thing it is going to flush is my bank account of £99!

Opinions please!

Cheers N
cheers N

33063, Eridge, Sept 2021 by Neil Evans, on Flickr
'69 Traveller, 1275, discs.
les
Minor Maniac

Re: EDT treatment

Post by les »

I’m not an expert on this but my opinion is, these flushing processes could dislodge stuff that, if not completely removed, could do damage if circulating around the system. Maybe the procedure you mention has moved on, I don’t know.

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Much needless stuff has been 'invented' as a means of extracting more money from us..........this sounds like one of them...... :-?
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Don’t know about this treatment, but when the particulate filter on our diesel modern started to create problems we had the choice of a new one, a used one of unknown provenance or a flush.
We went for the latter. Half a litre of chemical blown in under pressure, left for 40 minutes. Repeated, then a neutraliser for 40 minutes. Forced regeneration and the diagnostic said all was well.
More importantly it’s been fine ever since, touch wood.