Us oldies..

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
SteveClem
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Us oldies..

Post by SteveClem »

Better get out and drive our minors soon, before we get under virus house arrest :lol:
Blaketon
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Us oldies..

Post by Blaketon »

Defintion of "Oldie" very much depends on the age of the person saying it. When I was eighteen, someone of thirty was getting on and fifty was ancient. Now both would be younger than me!!

We're all in lockdown now. There is a degree Sod's law about this (Beyond the obvious issue). We have good weather (Which would be bad news for the virus; so some good news), which we can't fully enjoy. My MG Midget has finally come in from the cold, from the point of view of free tax and I had hoped to tax it on 1st April and go for a run in it (Followed by a quiet celebratory meal in my local in the evening). The log book has gone to DVLA (By Post) but the Midget remains in lockdown, in the garage (Behind the Traveller and next to the V8). Perhaps 1st April was a bad omen!! It's ironic, that the car I have owned longest (Since 1984), is the last to get free tax and no longer be regarded, by officialdom, as an old banger.

I am still working but my commute (By bicycle) is very remote at the best of times and it's made little difference. As where I work is quieter and has fewer virus cases than where I live (And there are far worse places than that), I am staying over some of the time and taking food home, so that when at home, I don't go out at all.

I think we were far too slow reacting to this crisis. We have at least twenty one miles of water, between us and mainland Europe, which has helped us keep many things out, not least rabies (Which I gather was eradicated here in 1902). We don't seem to have learned the lessons of keeping rabies out. However, we can't undo what's done and we now have a harder fight on our hands but we still have to make lockdown work. One effective lockdown will be far better than a series of disjointed ones and I hope there isn't a rush to end this one prematurely.