Morris Commercial Resurrection in 2021?

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
MorrisJohn
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Morris Commercial Resurrection in 2021?

Post by MorrisJohn »

Morris Commercial is being resurrected, under Chinese ownership, with their first model due for launch next year.

It has been designed in the UK, but where it’s being built remains unknown.

Aesthetically it’s true 1940s styling, and I personally think it looks absolutely cracking! The price tag of £60,000 is pretty eye watering though. What do you think?

It also begs the question, how likely is an electric 21st century Minor - and would you consider buying one?

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new- ... ectric-van
Attachments
8EE2E646-7930-4C99-AD76-D84E8C010473.jpeg
8EE2E646-7930-4C99-AD76-D84E8C010473.jpeg (1.91 MiB) Viewed 2100 times
DD4A0B47-1265-4069-A73E-2AD0EE074FC8.jpeg
DD4A0B47-1265-4069-A73E-2AD0EE074FC8.jpeg (1.92 MiB) Viewed 2100 times
A bad day with my Volksie still beats a good day at work!

https://www.glasgowmoggies.com
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Re: Morris Commercial Resurrection in 2021?

Post by Murrayminor »

That recreation has been around a while, I think they need to reduce the price somewhat for it to be viable.
£60k is a lot of money for a van
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

As above, nice but a bit pricey for what it is. Sign-written it would be a good advertising tool though......

A 21st century electric Morris Minor resurrection................ mmmmmmmmmmmmmm................ not sure about that one, my main worry is it would end up like the 'New Mini', fat, ugly, twice the size (or five times if they insisted on doing an SUV / people carrier version and you can bet they would) and nothing like the original concept, just using the name to sell yet another jelly mould blob, no thanks!
I think the Morris Minor name should be allowed to rest in piece.............
And thrive on the classic circuit! :D

As for an electric Minor, or electrifying any classic car for that matter, that is another issue that I suspect will run and run.
Personally I've nothing against it, one day it may be the only legal way to keep our classics on the road.
But until that day comes I shall be sticking with internal combustion.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

This has already received a lot of publicity. Perfect timing isn't it.... When we come out of the present lockdown, I imagine many small businesses are going to be thinking: "I know. Why don't we spend £60,000 on a weird looking electric van made by people we've never heard of". They look great, but £60,000??? It isn't exactly a new idea. I can remember the horse and cart being replaced by electric milk floats in the 1950s :wink:

Electric conversions of existing Minors are already around. Building a new one from scratch will never happen in my opinion.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

In the same vein as above I can remember steam trains passing through the station and yard at Hinton On The Green near Evesham, Worcestershire when I was a youngster.
Who would of thought of it all being swept away and replaced by petrol cars and diesel buses and now electric vans. What is the world coming to. :wink:

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/h/hinton/index.shtml

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

This was subject to a discussion last October......

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=70963
Basil the 1955 series II

MorrisJohn
Minor Addict

Post by MorrisJohn »

Thanks Geo. I did search for it before posting but it didn’t come up in the results I saw.

I think as above you guys are right about a modern Minor. It would be fat, bloated and probably an SUV! (That MINI SUV is one truly vulgar car, an insult to the original in my view.)
A bad day with my Volksie still beats a good day at work!

https://www.glasgowmoggies.com
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

So, The Travel Show is doing a tour of the UK currently showing on BBC News Channel at various times and of course available on iPlayer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m ... y-scotland

They're using the electric Morris van.
travelshow.JPG
travelshow.JPG (142.48 KiB) Viewed 1466 times
Basil the 1955 series II