Conversation piece

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Conversation piece

Post by philthehill »

ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Conversation piece

Post by ManyMinors »

:D Having owned an Austin 7 in the past and being very aware of its limitations (A Morris Minor 1000 was a revelation after that!) I think the chassis would require quite a bit of modification before putting 100bhp through it :wink: :lol:
alanworland
Minor Legend

Post by alanworland »

And all on a 2 bearing crank!

Alan
twincamman
Minor Fan

Post by twincamman »

ManyMinors wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:06 am :D Having owned an Austin 7 in the past and being very aware of its limitations (A Morris Minor 1000 was a revelation after that!) I think the chassis would require quite a bit of modification before putting 100bhp through it :wink: :lol:
The chassis would probably be OK if you box it, but I wouldn't hold out much hope for the rest of the running gear.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Agreed. By "chassis" I was referring to the entire underpinnings :wink:
It was a great little car actually - in many ways - but wouldn't have withstood many performance upgrades in standard form........
I could just about get 50mph out of it on a good day (on a long straight and possibly a slight downhill slope) but it didn't feel particularly safe.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Yes, I'm aware of what CAN be done with an Austin 7 and have often watched them compete. As well as slow cars I've owned a good variety of performance and competition cars too but never felt a desire to make my Austin 7 go faster. I enjoyed it for what is was. The same as I do now with my Morris Minor. After all, it is much cheaper to buy a fast car in the first place than to make a slow car go fast.

Having said that, A Morris Minor doesn't actually require that much in the way of modifications for it to handle a useful bit more power. In years gone by I have done that a couple of times :wink:
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

I'd love to see that installed on a suitably / subtly strengthened and adapted but standard looking Austin 7, just to see the faces of the modern drivers at the traffic lights, who'd be expecting to leave it standing.
That said I wonder what kind of MPH it would generate in the seven?
And how long before the engine would need a complete rebuild........... :wink:
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)