E scooters

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

E scooters

Post by stuffedpike20 »

Not really a Morris Minor issue; but I wonder what other members think about the fact that E scooters will soon be allowed on the roads and pavements of the U.K.?
Thanks, John.
GavinL
Minor Fan

Re: E scooters

Post by GavinL »

As long as they stay on the roads or in cycle lanes with other motorised vehicles I haven't got an issue with them - afterall you can already buy motorised bicycles which do 15mph. My mother in law had a BSA Winged wheel on her bike back in the 1950s so nothings new :D
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

The trouble is I am pretty sure they will not stay on the roads and cycle paths.
I admit to having a bit of an agenda about this; both myself and my wife have been run into by cyclists on the pavement, and I am sure pedestrians up and down the country will be at risk from E scooters on the pavement soon.
Although it may be a tenuous link, we all drive Morris Minors and I wondered what fellow road and pavement users think?
My local police force and council do not think cycling on the pavement is a problem, and I am sure they will think the same about E scooters on the pavement.
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

Sorry, just realised I should have posted this on the 'off topic' thread.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Nobody was complaining, but as you raised it, I've moved it for you 8)
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

Thank you.
Nobody seems interested, must just be me then.
Plin
Minor Fan

Post by Plin »

As my husband is partially sighted these e-scooters are quite a menace for him. There are already plenty of hazards for him to try and avoid - e.g. as a commuter in normal times the pull along cases are a nightmare as he cannot see them and so is often bashed into or trips over them.

I'm sure they are great fun in the right place but I agree they will use the pavement. (I would not feel safe balancing on at the side of the road!!)
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

Cycling on the pavement is not a particular problem where I live so maybe it’s a localised issue. The cyclists here are more likely to make a nuisance of themselves in the middle of the road.

To encourage respect on the pavement perhaps carry a substantial walking stick.
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

Thanks for the interesting replies.
Deliberately cycling on the pavement became an offence in 1835, so there must have been a problem even then.
I am surprised at how we just seem to let things slip in this country. Another example is pavement parking; equally hazardous for the visually impaired. Apparently it is an offence to drive for any distance at all on the pavement, whether with two wheels or four wheels; therefore every car that is parked half on the pavement got there illegally! Millions of them.

A pizza shop local to me has double yellow lines outside it. They have a little car to do deliveries, which waits right outside the shop on the double yellows all night between deliveries. Sometimes it is there for over half an hour between deliveries; the driver sitting inside the shop.
I have even seen a police car on an emergency call having to give way behind this illegally parked car.
When I informed the local council of the situation I was told that the council would not be doing anything about it because they could not be seen to be 'victimising anyone'. I know if I parked my car outside the shop and left it, it would be clamped, towed or fined immediately.

Is it just me that finds this sort of thing annoying? Should I take up meditation, or yoga to calm myself down?
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

Life is full of small annoyances. Roger McGough put it into perspective.

Survivor - Poem by Roger McGough

Everyday,
I think about dying.
About disease, starvation,
violence, terrorism, war,
the end of the world.

It helps
keep my mind off things.
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

I like that.

Maybe I need some of Roger's Lilly The Pink's medicinal compound; whatever that is!
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

I’ve never seen an e-scooter in real life. They don’t seem to have arrived here yet
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Post by Sleeper »

If only the powers that be would allow locations????

John ;-)

Orkneys?
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

Don't worry, they will be snapping at your ankles soon, no matter where you live.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

Excellent. Perhaps I'll get one :)
dp
Minor Legend

Post by dp »

It's not e-scooters it's the idiots and inconsiderate people that ride them. Ditto pushbikes, BMWs, careless dog owners... If people are thoughtful and considerate none of these things cause problems in use, it's the people that are the problem. Banning e-scooters will just mean they find another way to be a pain in the ....

I really like the poem, I might try to remember it by heart
Propshaft
Minor Fan

Post by Propshaft »

I was talking to a young lady in Spain who uses one of these e scooters to commute into Gibraltar with the amount of traffic going in she recons the scooter are brilliant it's the motorist she says you have to watch . They are allowed on the road in Spain
Des911
Minor Friendly

Post by Des911 »

I think I might get one for nipping to the shops on, which one is best anyone know ?
1958 4 door Black
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

None of them are the best one.

I agree that it is not the scooters, it is the riders that are the problem.
A bit like saying that guns don't kill people; people pulling the trigger kill people. So if guns did not exist, people would not be able to pull the trigger; and if E scooters did not exist..........
Des911
Minor Friendly

Post by Des911 »

A fleet of electric bikes designed to move loads around will soon be seen on the streets of Nottingham.

The City Council will team up with local manufacturer Raleigh to produce the ‘eCargo’ cycles
1958 4 door Black