TIG welder

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ian.mcdougall
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

TIG welder

Post by ian.mcdougall »

Hi all
I have been wondering if its worth while to get a TIG welder, I normally use MIG . On morris cars i assume you would not need AC DC to weld steel and aluminium . Can you get away with cheap or is it best to go for maximum you can afford , you can buy cheap ones that fit in box , are they any good . Has anyone taken the plunge already .
Regards Ian

Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Re: TIG welder

Post by Murrayminor »

If you want an honest answer I would head over to the Mig welding forum:

https://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/

There is much information to be had from that and lots of information about TIG welding as well.
They certainly helped me when I was pondering which machine to get and how to set it up.

Dermot.
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor
MattsGPOvan
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by MattsGPOvan »

You will not look back... You can buy a nice DC TIG from R- Tech Welding in Gloucester...
I have been up there and met the lads and the customer service is brilliant....

It’s like a microform of gas welding but with electricity and argon gas, and you need good eyesight..... and a steady hand.

Pop down for a TIG course if you need one.

Precision Panel Craft. Ninfield on Facebook/ Instagram.
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

MattsGPOvan wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:55 am You will not look back... You can buy a nice DC TIG from R- Tech Welding in Gloucester...
I have been up there and met the lads and the customer service is brilliant....

It’s like a microform of gas welding but with electricity and argon gas, and you need good eyesight..... and a steady hand.

Pop down for a TIG course if you need one.

Precision Panel Craft. Ninfield on Facebook/ Instagram.
I went for a MIG welder in the end as I was doing bodywork, Is TIG suitable for body panels? Plus my eyesight is not what it used to be, I have normal reading glasses and my really up close work reading glasses, maybe I made the right decision with MIG. :D
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor
paul 300358
Minor Fan

Post by paul 300358 »

I have an R-Tech TIG for home use, it's just the DC unit, all TIG units have a drooping characteristic so can also be used for manual metal arc welding. If you do purchase a TIG unit make sure that you have HF for starting, also, purchase you gas cylinder locally, you don't want to travel miles to change it. I haven't yet had to do any welding at home that I can't TIG or MMA.
It should be noted that oxy-acetylene has a reducing flame when set up correctly, this can help to reduce the oxidation on carbon steel when welding, with TIG or MAG you just include the oxidation into the weld.
MattsGPOvan
Minor Friendly

Post by MattsGPOvan »

Hi Paul, they’re not too bad are they... R-tech No bells or whistles.... But some of their newer range is very nice..... Square wave ...triangle wave you name it.

They also have their in-house service department where two old boys are tinkering away.

I am privileged here by having a very expensive watercooled Miller TIG.... very light torch.....with foot pedal etc.

Cheers Matt...👍
ian.mcdougall
Minor Legend

Post by ian.mcdougall »

Hi All
Thanks for reply's . I have been looking at the MIG welding forum to get an idea if it would be useful to have TIG and MIG ,have been on bottle purchase for the MIG for a few years now after stopping being self employed panel beater and sprayer and working for VW garage . Now retired but still doing a bit of work on cars and starting own cars soon I hope . Do any of you use TIG on your Morris welding jobs . Would it be better for patch panel repairs , as its a softer weld than MIG and easier to clean up welds .
Regards Ian

MattsGPOvan
Minor Friendly

Post by MattsGPOvan »

Once your at a high level TIG welding is a lot faster... and easier to clean up..... but more Prep is needed..... my work now is about 45 MIG 40 TIG 15 Gas.
ian.mcdougall
Minor Legend

Post by ian.mcdougall »

Hi Matt
Is it easy to TIG at the unusual positions you get into with MIG welding .

paul 300358
Minor Fan

Post by paul 300358 »

It depends on practice, I'm not as steady now as I was during my apprenticeship so I tend to look for things to lean against. you get a far nicer looking weld with TIG but everything has to be clean.