Pavement Parking

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Pavement Parking

Post by stuffedpike20 »

Interesting discussions today on the TV about pavement parking, and the possibility of motorists getting a £70 fine for doing it.
The AA would like a white line painted down each pavement to denote where a pavement parker can go up to; leaving reasonable space for pedestrians.
Living Streets charity would like each local Council to do a street-by-street assessment to decide which pavements can be parked on, and which can't; with the understanding that the default setting is that most can't.

My local council told me that it would cost £1,500 to paint "Cyclists Dismount" on the pavement at the end of a footpath that cyclists regularly illegally ride down; so what are the chances of anything new happening re pavement parking outside London?

It is fine making laws. but if there is nobody to police them, ultimately pointless.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Re: Pavement Parking

Post by geoberni »

Loads of issues with it around our village, but it's low priority behind accidents on the bypass and speeding with in the village.
Not so much law breaking speeding, just doing 30 where 15-20 would be more appropriate, like between rows of parked cars with lots of school kids around.
I'm now the recently appointed Chair of the Parish Council Road Safety Committee ); not a member of the PC, the c'ttee is 50/50 PC members and other resident volunteers.
Our remit is to find all the problems, research solutions and give proposals to the PC to take to the County Council Highways and Highways England (regards the bypass as it's one of their trunk routes).

If I weren't such a law abiding person, there could well be some scratched cars as I walk along the footpaths. :evil:
They do often get a door mirror folded, just to hack them off once they've driven off without checking. :wink:

We have quite a few mobility kart riders around the village, but they mainly use the roads, irrespective of paths being blocked or not.
Basil the 1955 series II

stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

I thought I was the only one who folded door mirrors in for people! Nice to know you do it too.
The ones I really do not not like are the drivers who fold in their driver's side mirrors so that they do not get damaged by passing cars; but leave their near side mirrors sticking into the pavement to hamper pedestrians.
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Post by Sleeper »

£70:00 a time would be a nice little earner....

John ;-)
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

Parking on the pavement does indeed cause issues with pedestrians having to enter the carriageway, no room for pushchairs etc but on the road where I live the council decided to introduce a bus route, to save people having to walk 200 yards to the main road.

A couple of my neighbours own vans and they are regularly asked to move them so the bus can get through so now they simply park on the pavement, they do however leave enough room for pedestrians.

Both van owners have stated they will gladly take the case to court if required and I think they may win as the bus route was introduced without consultation.

We are approximately 1.5 miles outside our town but lately I have seen civil enforcement officers walking about ticketing vehicles parked outside peoples houses as the car is slightly encroaching i.e. a bumper length onto to double yellow lines.

There doesn't seem to be any common sense anymore.
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

Sleeper wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:41 pm £70:00 a time would be a nice little earner....

John ;-)
Don't worry Sleeper, I don't think you will get fined. I don.t think anyone will get fined.
Not enough resources.
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

stuffedpike20 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:53 am
Sleeper wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:41 pm £70:00 a time would be a nice little earner....

John ;-)

Not enough resources.
I wouldn't be too sure, parking offences now fall under the Local Authority and if they think they can make money they will.
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor