Who's had the Covid vaccine? Anyone going to refuse it?

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Who's had the Covid vaccine? Anyone going to refuse it?

Post by simmitc »

Unfortunately, someone refusing a vaccination without good medical reason DOES affect everyone else - they could be a source of infection / transmission; if they get sick then they occupy NHS resources and that could impact on other emergencies. The saying goes: No-one is protected until everyone is protected. I know of a care worker who doesn't want it. Sorry, but if they won't have the vaccine then they should not be working ion a care home.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

An old adage springs to mind, namely that 'you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink'.............

To refuse is their right, however it then should be the case that they should be in some way isolated / segregated from the rest of us, not that we should then have to endure further restrictions because of them....
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

What ! Forever ? :D — difficult.

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Agreed, however why must everybody else endure a never ending cycle of our lives being put on hold (polite version) because a stupid minority refuse to get themselves vaccinated, to prevent the spread of this / further mutations arising.
And thanks to their 'humans rights' we can't force them.....
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

As I understand it, this ‘herd immunity’ thing suggests that if most get vaccinated, the few that don’t, can’t effect the rest, or something like that.

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

les wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:13 pm As I understand it, this ‘herd immunity’ thing suggests that if most get vaccinated, the few that don’t, can’t effect the rest, or something like that.
Except that we don't as yet, and it may be a year or so until we know, at what % heard immunity is effective for Covid. We also don't have the data yet on how effective vaccination is on stopping the spread; at the moment the data is generally on how it stops the severity.
From the WHO website
The percentage of people who need to be immune in order to achieve herd immunity varies with each disease. For example, herd immunity against measles requires about 95% of a population to be vaccinated. The remaining 5% will be protected by the fact that measles will not spread among those who are vaccinated. For polio, the threshold is about 80%. The proportion of the population that must be vaccinated against COVID-19 to begin inducing herd immunity is not known. This is an important area of research and will likely vary according to the community, the vaccine, the populations prioritized for vaccination, and other factors.
This is quite a good read:
https://www.who.int/news-room/q-a-detai ... d-covid-19
Basil the 1955 series II

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

So for the factor of 'Herd Immunity' to become a 'known', then we must effectively let it happen and see, because of course, with COVID, it is the great unknown.
In which case I stand by my opinion, that once we reach June / July when lockdown and restrictions are supposed to end (at present) and vaccinations should be done or largely done (we hope), that should be it.
I'm afraid that those that refuse the vaccine (due to religion, indoctrination, ethnicity excuses or whatever) should be left to take their chances and more fool them.
Best wishes,
Mike.
panky
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by panky »

I'm just worried about the tracking chip they inject with the vaccine :roll:
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Yes, it amazing how it passes through such a small needle. So far I haven’t had any adverse effects, maybe it’s not been activated yet. :o

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

les wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:34 pm Yes, it amazing how it passes through such a small needle. So far I haven’t had any adverse effects, maybe it’s not been activated yet. :o
Well they've obviously got so much smaller in the past 2 years.....
https://www.technologyreview.com/2018/0 ... y-love-it/
Basil the 1955 series II

woodiesenfrance
Minor Fan

Post by woodiesenfrance »

Not yet, still recovering from Covid.
Plse get the vaccine when you can.
We had been ultra careful, I am not going to go into details as to how we think we 'got' it, it is all too sad
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

I suspect we’ll all be getting an annual COVID jab in the future.
Like flu, there will be new strains coming along, and the vaccine will have to be ‘tweaked’.
Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

Being an age that begins with a three and not at particular risk I doubt I'll be getting mine until the very late spring or summer, but will jump at the chance.

The hearsay about vaccine refusal is about, and likely signal boosted by irresponsible tabloids chasing clicks, but I don't know of a single person with that view myself. Regardless, if there are minorities unsure about it then correct approach is one of empathy and engagement, not anger. The former is also exactly what serious people are doing, rather than having a hissy fit over said tabloid stories. It is perhaps understandable that mistrust may have built up over the years given their experiences, if my local MP told me to do something I'd likely look for the polar opposite option and/or kick him in the nuts!
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Vaccination has been around a long time, I wonder if those that refuse this particular vaccine, have refused all previous ones that have helped prevent various ailments.

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Thought I put this here. If anyone isn't in the Priority groups due to age, carer status, health issues etc this is the UK Vaccine Date calculator.
Apologies to those living outside the UK, please consult your own National Guidance :wink:

www.omnicalculator.com/health/vaccine-queue-uk
Basil the 1955 series II

Chappers
Minor Friendly

Post by Chappers »

I had the Pfizer vaccine a couple of weeks ago now and all was fine. Lots of volunteers helping out in the local health centre which was all very well organised.
Wife had hers in the same place a few days later, however she had the Oxford one. She had flu-like symptoms for a couple of days (high temp, shivers etc), but now fine.
These are two different vaccines and work differently.
Just be aware that I have known several people and have also asked around, that the Oxford one does seem to produce some after effects, mostly as described above. This no doubt will affect some people more than others, and might last a day or two.
This country is really pulling out all the stops now to get people vaccinated (over 21 million at time of writing). Apart from Israel, the UK is leading the world on its vaccination program.
Get your vaccination and let’s all get back to normal as soon as possible.
Unfortunately it won’t help all those who have died, but life inevitably carries on regardless.
Looking forward to driving my Moggie around again and meeting up at rallies.
Best wishes to all.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

les wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:42 pm Vaccination has been around a long time, I wonder if those that refuse this particular vaccine, have refused all previous ones that have helped prevent various ailments.
I would imagine the majority of the 'Anti-Vaxer' generation are too ignorant to know of the vaccine programmes of the past, of their parents/grandparents generations, that grew up with Polio, Smallpox, Hooping Cough, Diphtheria etc.

They annoy me immensely, just due to their ignorance of life beyond their own insular existence.
Basil the 1955 series II

Owlsman
Minor Fan

Post by Owlsman »

In today's Mail : Lady Victoria Hervy is adamant that having a vaccine is a plot by Bill Gates to depopulate the world.

OHHHH KAAAAAAAH :roll:
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Well, ......
A) What are you doing reading the Daily Fail? :roll:
B) Who? :-?
C) She's clearly not a real Blonde, looking at those roots, but she feels she has to live up to the Dumb Stereotype to maintain the pretence.... :lol:

I've reported one of your double to highlight it to our friendly neighbourhood Moderator. Sometimes the site double posts because people are using touchscreen devices and it double enters, but I'm sure other times it's just part of the overall mental breakdown the site is suffering with..... :roll:
Basil the 1955 series II

Owlsman
Minor Fan

Post by Owlsman »

Don’t press the submit button twice.
Yes, I am aware of that and have fallen foul of it before but I am so careful now.

I also read that 200,000 care and/or health workers are reluctant or even refusing to take the jab. Methinks they might be in the wrong job!